TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The things you say here....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The things you say here....

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone else finds that they censor (so to speak) the things that they say here, or on other forums, for fear that their friends or family members will read what they say?

For example, I wouldn't post what I was getting my fiance for his birthday because I was worried he would peek I also didn't let out my secrets for getting him to help a bit on the housework thread because I just couldn't let them get back to him!

I was just wondering if I was the only one
post #2 of 25
I don't think Aaron really reads here very often, but no, I don't post things like that myself. There are certain thing that he would be very upset about if I posted it!

I find myself posting less and less personal information and photos also. You never know who is reading your posts. I have been posting things like that in the Premier Lounge, where you need a password to get in.

I have just as many trials and tribulations in my life as everyone else, but I don't think the people in my life would appreciate me telling the world about them.
post #3 of 25
I haven't posted anything of a truly personal nature. I can't imagine doing so. Not just for safety reasons, or fear someone I know will read it, but because its not in my nature to do so. I don't post anything that I wouldn't want my family or friends to read. If I really have a sensitive issue or dilemma, that's who I would talk to about them, no offense to anyone here!
post #4 of 25
I'm definitely a bit careful about what I post in the public forums, because my brother-in-law and several of my students lurk here (Amber, Boris, & Co. have a real following at my school, and my b-i-l loves IMO; I've told him to join and participate, but he prefers to email his comments to me, as he's not "confrontational"). Robert can't be bothered going online, so I could post about birthday gifts, or gripe, but generally don't, unless it's in the Premier Lounge
post #5 of 25
I don't really care anymore. If someone is upset with me than the internet is not going to change the situation, either positively or negatively.

I have a good relationship with my family and all the people I assoiciate with regularly right now. For now that is all that is important to me.

If I love them, I would have nothing negative to say about them in this forum.
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
My fiance probably wouldn't really visit the site to look to see if I mentioned anything... I was using it more as an example. I find myself suprised sometimes when I read posts. I think to myself "wow, aren't they worried about people reading it" I have a few friends here that I do feel comfortable talking to about things, and I also agree that the Premier Lounge is a much better place to discuss things that we don't want the world knowing. I am glad we have it!
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I don't really care anymore. If someone is upset with me than the internet is not going to change the situation, either positively or negatively.

I have a good relationship with my family and all the people I associate with regularly right now. For now that is all that is important to me.

If I love them, I would have nothing negative to say about them in this forum.
I also have a good relationship with my family and friends, but I don't think they would appreciate me posting about their divorces, custody battles, illnesses, etc. so out of respect for them, I don't.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom
I also have a good relationship with my family and friends, but I don't think they would appreciate me posting about their divorces, custody battles, illnesses, etc. so out of respect for them, I don't.
I am grateful that their lives are good now and no news is always good news in my life.

I guess I am a lot more relaxed knowing that most of them could not even read English.

The last time I googled shengmei there were 24,000 pages. It is a really common name and I don't think any of them would find me on this forum.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
I am grateful that their lives are good now and no news is always good news in my life.

I guess I am a lot more relaxed knowing that most of them could not even read English.

The last time I googled shengmei there were 24,000 pages. It is a really common name and I don't think any of them would find me on this forum.
Don't be so sure. Try googling "shengmei cats". You were the first hit. Your information is never safe on the Internet, even if you think it is.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom
I also have a good relationship with my family and friends, but I don't think they would appreciate me posting about their divorces, custody battles, illnesses, etc. so out of respect for them, I don't.
I agree Karen, over here in the UK that would be classed as data protection.

EG: T.V. shows such as Big Brother. If any of the housemates start talking about their family or slandering anyone famous the sound cuts out because they could sue.
post #11 of 25
I don't really find myself censoring too much at all actually.

I am the type of person who normally says whatever's on my mind. (good or bad).
post #12 of 25
I'm honest with my family and friends, I wouldn't post anything on a board I wouldn't say to their face.

The only thing I don't post is surprises...because my fiancé and I are on a lot of the same forums. I wouldn't want to ruin something for him.
post #13 of 25
I only edit things like gifts that I am giving. I don't edit what I am going to say, because all the people I don't like either know it or don't care.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass
I only edit things like gifts that I am giving. I don't edit what I am going to say, because all the people I don't like either know it or don't care.
That is true. I tell people directly what I think of them. I am a very transparent person. So if I have something bad to say they already know how I feel. It won't come as a surprise.

For me it is a sin to flatter somebody to the face but gossip about them in the back. It is much better to behave the same way online and offline. I am imperfect either way, but to maintain a facade of me liking everybody when I gossip about them in the back is in my opinion immoral.
post #15 of 25
You know I *thought* I was safe as B never remembers the name of the site...until the other day when I posted "Favors" poll. Suddenly that phone call made me think twice.

Otherwise really no one else knows which "cat site" I'm on.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
Otherwise really no one else knows which "cat site" I'm on.
I haven't told anyone I was on TCS, either. I googled Moz and there were 10,700,000 pages of results. Then again, Moz is Morrisey's nickname.
But I don't believe I've said anything about my family on here, I don't plan on it either because I doubt anyone would read it.
post #17 of 25
My family is actually kind of boring actually.......
post #18 of 25
I'm a very open and honest person. I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
I'm a very open and honest person. I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

Yeap, same here... gets me in trouble sometimes too
post #20 of 25
I'm always getting into trouble too but honestly when my friends ask them "Do you like my new top?" I'll tell them honestly. I figure the truth hurts but why ask me for my opinion?
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
I'm always getting into trouble too but honestly when my friends ask them "Do you like my new top?" I'll tell them honestly. I figure the truth hurts but why ask me for my opinion?

It's like I told my friend one time, she asked me if her butt was getting too big I told her "Dont ask me that if you're knocking lamps over when you turn around" I said it w/o thinking... Thank God she has a sick sense of humor like I do!
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
I'm a very open and honest person. I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

THAT gets me in trouble all the time.

My inlaws love that quality about me, though.....they had too many troubles with people backstabbing. They love me and I love them back.
post #23 of 25
WHen i think about it now, i dont even know what ive posted?
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz
I haven't told anyone I was on TCS, either. I googled Moz and there were 10,700,000 pages of results. Then again, Moz is Morrisey's nickname.
But I don't believe I've said anything about my family on here, I don't plan on it either because I doubt anyone would read it.
I did Karen's trick, and I googled "moz cats". You came up fifth.

Nothing is private once it's posted on the web.
post #25 of 25
I think the original point was not how you respond to others here, or censoring responses. I think the original point was whether you censor yourself when it comes to divulging information about yourself and others that is of a personal or sensitive nature.

You post it on the web, you might as well post it on a billboard or print it in the newspaper...it's that accessible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The things you say here....