TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I think my cat had a Grand Mal siezure?? Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think my cat had a Grand Mal siezure?? Help!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
OK little background..cat 13-14 years old pretty healthy no real health probs. In the past maybe at least a year ago i have seen my cat have waht i beleive to be little siezures.....tiltling of the head and shaking, tiliting over, losing her back legs for a few after....at the time the vet said there was nothing they could do unless they see one, also if the after symptoms ddon't go away but they did.

Okay, this morning i was sleeping and i felt her jump on my bed and the she proceeded to thrash all over my bed screeching and meowing so loudly it scared the life out of me...first i thought she coaught her claw in my comfortor but usually i can help her in stick it....she continued to to this for about 20 seconds,,, thrashing and screaming. One thing about this cat, she is a very quiet cat, if she meaows at all, it has to be realt quiet to hear her. Hubby said she did throw up twice this morning before she left for work.

I keep trying to call the vet but it is busy...and now the cat is just sleeping, she seems exhausted.......BTW....she could not use her back laegs after this happened. I don't know what to do.
post #2 of 15
Keep her in a calm room with subdued lighting until she seems fully herself again, and get into the vet.
post #3 of 15
If this is your regular vet...
I would just go ahead and take her into the now...without an appointment.
Do you have someone that can keep calling to let them know you are coming in with an emergency?
post #4 of 15
First, get your cat to a vet. If you can find a feline only vet, that might be a better route since they may have more info on available drug therapies and alternatives.

Second, an excellent resource on the internet for cat seizures is this Yahoo group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epi-felines/ They have some very knowledgable members who are dealing with cats and seizures. They also know the latest medications and what drugs have worked for their cats through trial and error. It's worth it just to sign up and read their resource articles.

Good luck.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Blue
First, get your cat to a vet. If you can find a feline only vet, that might be a better route since they may have more info on available drug therapies and alternatives.

Second, an excellent resource on the internet for cat seizures is this Yahoo group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epi-felines/ They have some very knowledgable members who are dealing with cats and seizures. They also know the latest medications and what drugs have worked for their cats through trial and error. It's worth it just to sign up and read their resource articles.

Good luck.




Thank you for the information...i just joined i have to wait for approval though. My cat is sleeping so soundly right now, not sure if i wanna stress her by taking her out. (She is an indoor kitty) I am going to try to contact the vet, if i have to i will go down there and talk to them....although i am pretty sure they are gonna tell me there isn't much they can do without seeing it happen, like they did with what i think were small siezures.

I will let you all know, thank you!
post #6 of 15
If after seeing your veterinarian you are sent home and told to watch her closely, start a seizure diary. List times and days of seizures, any different foods or odd things that happened the day before or the day of the seizure. Keeping a written record, no matter how brief the entries are, can become a valuable resource when trying to narrow down the trigger.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
We got back about an hour and half ago, they think she has epilepsy Or a brain Tumor . They did an exray because she has a heart mummur, and her breathing was fast, and her tounge was kind of a dark color, they were afraid she was having trouble breathing.

So they say her heart is maybe a little bigger then it should be but nothing alarming. They really didn't find much in the exrays. They also tested her gluclose levels and her sugar was fine.

So of course they gave us the full break down of everything and our options. She is now on Pneobabatol to help control the seizures, but they also ran a ton of bloodwork cause they have to rule out liver, kidney and all other kinds of things, to make sure her organs are not causeing them...if the come back negative then it is more than likely a brain tumor causeing it

The total cost.............GET READY FOR THIS.....................................

$$$$$485.29


Oh thats not includung the $11.99 for the Phenobarb



We struggled so bad about the money...i can't explain how much this hurts us......i am gonna have to beg work for some exrta hours....i am going to see if i can go in early on the 4th of July because it's time and a half
post #8 of 15
This is very upsetting every which way - I will keep you all in my thoughts.
post #9 of 15
I understand how vet costs add up, and I know it can really be tough sometimes. Have you asked your vet about a payment plan? Unfortunately, that's one of the "side effects" of loving your pet---you do what you have to so they'll feel better.
Hopefully, the blood work will show nothing serious going on with your girl. This may sound odd but, of the possible illnesses, I'm hoping it's epilepsy; at least you can do something about that.
(((Big hugs))) for your baby.
post #10 of 15
It can be really difficult when our cats become ill.
I am so glad that you are going ahead with treatment.
I am sending calming vibes to your kitty and prayers that the new medication helps.
post #11 of 15
Did they do anything for the heart condition? The heart murmur could be a sign of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, and medications can help keep that under control. I also wonder if the seizure was caused by a blood clot, which would not be uncommon with HCM. I lost Spot to advanced HCM in April, and he seemed to be having seizure-like activity (spastic back legs, very dilated pupils). For him, the HCM was so advanced that medication wouldn't have helped, but I wish I had treated his heart condition earlier.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade
Did they do anything for the heart condition? The heart murmur could be a sign of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, and medications can help keep that under control. I also wonder if the seizure was caused by a blood clot, which would not be uncommon with HCM. I lost Spot to advanced HCM in April, and he seemed to be having seizure-like activity (spastic back legs, very dilated pupils). For him, the HCM was so advanced that medication wouldn't have helped, but I wish I had treated his heart condition earlier.




She didn't mention treating the heart as of yet. She xrayed it to make sure it was not enlarged and it was not....she did mention blodd clots though. I really miss seeing my cat acting like herslef this medicine is knoclking her for a loop, all she does is sleep
post #13 of 15
Cardiomyopathy usually can't be diagnosed from x-rays. It happens when the walls of the heart thicken so the heart can't pump as much blood. The overall size of the heart doesn't change much, but the walls thicken inwards so there is less space in the heart for blood. HCM can be diagnosed with an echocardiogram, but they are expensive as well (I think Spot's was about $300-350). I would keep asking your vet questions. Call them on Wednesday and ask to have him/her explain to you the possibilities and options. If they don't bring up heart medication/treatment, ask about it. My biggest regret with Spot was that I neglected to talk to my vet about his heart, even though his echo suggested that there might be problems.

For the holiday, you may want to go to Care Credit's site (www.carecredit.com) and see if you can find an emergency vet that accepts it. That way, just in case something happens with your kitty (and I'm sending vibes that nothing will happen and she will be fine), you'll be prepared.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_shade
Cardiomyopathy usually can't be diagnosed from x-rays. It happens when the walls of the heart thicken so the heart can't pump as much blood. The overall size of the heart doesn't change much, but the walls thicken inwards so there is less space in the heart for blood. HCM can be diagnosed with an echocardiogram, but they are expensive as well (I think Spot's was about $300-350). I would keep asking your vet questions. Call them on Wednesday and ask to have him/her explain to you the possibilities and options. If they don't bring up heart medication/treatment, ask about it. My biggest regret with Spot was that I neglected to talk to my vet about his heart, even though his echo suggested that there might be problems.

For the holiday, you may want to go to Care Credit's site (www.carecredit.com) and see if you can find an emergency vet that accepts it. That way, just in case something happens with your kitty (and I'm sending vibes that nothing will happen and she will be fine), you'll be prepared.


Thank you all for all the good thoughts and wishes!

I have a call into the emergancy vets because they are the ones who have seen her for this so far. She is not in until 4PM i will be at work, hubby is gonna talk to her. ISylvester seems to be becoming constipated now, i am not sure if this is a result of her illness or the Pheno she is now on. She seems to be eating and drinking, but i don't see her using her litter box very often.
I aksed the nurse if i could give her something to lossen her movments a bit but she said she would wait till we talk to the doc. Not sure if we will even have any blood work results taoday being as it is a holiday.

I will ask about her heart as soon as i have the chance...Actually the one thing she did say about the heart is, she could tell that it was "Standing up" a little more than she would have expected for a cat her age, she says sometimes they droop as they age.
Her tounge was also a little in darker color, and her resperation was fast. I am soory if i didn't mention all this when i posted first, i was very upset and didn't think of everything.
I will let you all know when i get any info. Sylvester is still having seizrues, she even seem to have one as i was giving her the Pheno this morning...she has been on the meds since Sun. night.
I have to head out to work till lateer tonight...i will be back then.... Thanks again everyone, for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linda
post #15 of 15
Sweet Sylvester remains in my prayers Linda.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I think my cat had a Grand Mal siezure?? Help!