Starting My Enclosure

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I am going to use this thread to keep track of my enclosure and it's progress. I laid out the plans for it [on the ground] and most of the post holes are dug at this point. This first group of pictures were taken before I started on the post holes. String is laid out here for post hole locations. We have three more holes to go. It is going to be 20 x 20 with a three foot gate.. It is going to be at a little mountain cabin we bought in SW Missouri that also requires work in order to be move in ready. So we have several projects we are doing at the moment.

But we are going to love it when we get it done. It will house 18 cats and probably one dachaund....[cause she will fit through the kitty door and she thinks she is a cat]..

It's hard to say when it will be completed because hubby also works two jobs, but as long as we plug away, progress will be made.

This is the kitty door getting sheetrocked in. It is under our bedroom window so from the bedroom we will be able to see the cats at play.

This is taken from what will be the rear of the enclosure. String is laid out but it is hard to see this in the picture. The enclosure starts just on the other side of the tree.Eventually after we finish the first area, we want to expand futher in this direction. The dirt portion that you see in this will be roofed with something. This area will be 10 x 20. Husband want to put fine gravel under this portion of the enclosure.

And this is the rear view of where the enclosure will be. You can see the same tree here. In the front of this picture, if you look close, you can see a wooden marker. This is the middle of the FRONT of the enclosure. The gate will be just to the right of it. And the side are 10 feet out from either side of the marker. On one side, this goes to the house line so you can get a pretty good judge of the distance. The other side runs out of the photo.When we expand it, the three foot gate will be the entrance to another room.

We have only just started but I wanted to use this spot to keep a running tab of my progress on this...

All suggestions welcome ...... This is my/our first attempt at an enclosure.

Also, this is Cribbs Mountain. This is and will be the cats view of their new world when we eventually get moved out there. This is going to be where we retire. My 5-7 year plan is to be OFF THE GRID as well.. We want to be totally self sufficient. Electricity is the only thing left. We have no gas or water bill. We plan on one day also having a battery house and a windmill on a 120' tower. That would work since average wind speed in Missouri at 120 feet up is 14 mph... We have two wood burning stoves and a propane tank for backup. It is so far out, we can't even get television service or internet. We will be the satellite people. But we will have CH/A. Neighbor down the way is an airconditioning man in
Springfield and they spend weekends in their cabin but they have no running water or septic there.. He is going to hook on to our well for water and is giving us a new CH/A unit plus duct work for a trade. Sounds like a deal to me.

Jenn

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn you are off to a great start! Sounds like a little bit of heaven for you and your colony- If you want good cat ramps or ladders inside, inexpensive ready made wooden fencing works. Just cover the section of fence with astroturf or indoor/outdoor carpeting, elevate it off the ground and the cats love it. The carpet is crucial because otherwise the smaller cats can get stuck in the slats- but it provides either a wide area for climbing and playing or a nice platform for sleeping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THAT SOUNDS GREAT! I never thought of astroturf or indoor outdoor carpet. Both are washable with the hose. Wonderful idea!

As a matter of fact, as I think about it, I have a section of wood fence now that is 4' tall and about 8-10 feet long. We had two of them but one made it to the burn pile already. It would be perfect actually. The piece I have left NEARLY made it to the burn pile the other day but I was just too tired.....

I will have to start looking at my leftover wood in a different manner.

And kittylover4ever, that enclosure is where I am getting ALL my ideas now if you are talking about Hissy. That is the only cat enclosure I have seen on this site and it is great! I love it.......

Jenn

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is going to be a wonderful, safe home for some very deserving kitties.

Do I see sunflowers in the background of the 2nd picture?

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are great links..........! I like a catwalk idea. Maybe I could put a little area like this somewhere...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie those are great! The only thing that would worry me is the space between the wires. Because I often have bottle babies here, I have unfortunately seen what happens when a frightened kitten gets his head stuck in large wire.
That is why we went with small weave chicken wire-

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking and thinking and looking at all the links. I am going to add a sandpit area connected to the roofed portion for bathroom purposes... I am a planner. Might take several years
, but I'll get it done.. The blue areas in this link are my dreams. Several years away actually.

But it would be nice.

But the reality is the 20 x 20 plus the sand pit with connecting cat walk. Husband can figure out how to put the cat walk in the air elevated against the house. I want little stairs leading to the pit itself... And since that is narrow [probably 2 x 2, I can get hubby to put another cat door in the restroom. That will be easy since that wall is not sheet rocked yet.

I guess the cheapest way to fix a cat walk is out of plywood with a plywood roof. We have a bunch of extra shingles that match the roof that we could probably put on it.. That would make it cute... The little sand pit I guess would need a 2' door so I could clean in there. It only need for big enough for sand and a large trashcan.

I talked to husband a few minutes ago and he likes the sandpit idea.

But like I said, the blue area is only a dream. May not materialize for many years. We already have the stuff to finish what I started. But the other stuff cost money. And we'll have to save for that.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...lksversion.gif

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the above link is based on WHEN we eventually add a second bedroom to our cabin and is futuristic, this is more reasonable.

This is what I want for now. We are going to do it a section at a time. We nealy have our house finished. We are taping and bedding now.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...mwithwalks.jpg

We still only have the post holes dug for the 20 x 20 area but we have walked the rest of it and measured it and have it laid out in our heads only.

We have the get the house done first, but whould only be a 2-3 weeks tops.

The house, the enclosure and dog fences are just darn hard work.

Jenn

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got it - you're building it where you're moving to!

Wow - this looks incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't have a cat enclosure, but I'm glad you've gotten such great ideas.

You GO girl!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made a little progress today. Kitty door was cut out and ALL the taping and beding are done in the bedroom, closet, laundry room, bathroom and hallway. Our shoulders hurt from the last two days.

But here is the kitty door all cut out and taped. Tomorrow we are starting the texture process of the walls. Then painting and then carpet. Then the fences for the dogs and cats..... Then MOVE..

The space above the kitty door is where our bedroom window goes but we haven't bought it yet... No money.. but after we get moved we'll get it in.

And did someone ask me about sunflowers???

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you LDG. And yes, we are putting it where we are moving... It will be a very exciting day when we finally get in there.

We are only building a one little area enclosure at this time because we don't want to pay any more rent to someone. This cabin is paid for. My husband is building one side a "temp side" on the enclosure so we can remove it and increase the size of it as we build on to it after we are living there. I want them to have a very large area to play in because they are used to being free and I want them happy. Eventually it might end up being larger than the cabin.

It is going to be a very special place. The cabin and the enclosure.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

And did someone ask me about sunflowers???

Jenn
Yep...it was me.

I love what you are doing with your new home.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks..........I textured two walls today. I am going to try to get the rest done tomorrow. I went to the vet to get JJ covered in texture and sheetrock mud......hehe We want to move so bad we are chomping at the bit.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a small update!! House is nearly finished. Husband located 10-15 cedar trees on our land today that are straight and about 30' tall. He is cutting them tomorrow. The entire 20x20 foot initial room will be composed entirely of cedar and the 4"x2"wire......... That is exactly what I wanted!!! He had tossed around using 4x4's and 2x4's but I always wanted cedar and I am so happy. When I came home today he told me.

It might be a couple weeks before we can actually get started on it. I have about 4 days worth of work to do in the house which will take two saturdays and two sundays.

Then the enclosure......... My cats will be so happy and I will be so relieved.......

Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just talked to husband. He has all the posts cut for the dog yard and 1/3 of the posts cut for the cat enclosure!!

He is hauling these one at a time on his shoulders to the house so we can use them.

The interior of the cat enclosure has 10' posts according to him. Part of that will be buried in the ground. The side fence posts are 7' tall which will be buried a foot to 18"..

It is finally happening.........!!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE HAVE FENCE POSTS FOR THE ENCLOSURE!!!! I AM GOING TO STRIP THE WOOD AND HUSBAND IS GOING TO NOTCH IT. Some are 10 footers and some are 8 footers. For the corners and the rafters. It will be rustic.

MY POOR HUSBAND IS BEAT. HE CARRIED THEM ALL ON HIS SHOULDERS ONE AT A TIME. SOME WEIGHED 80-100 LBS.........