How to Stop Spraying
If the cat is spraying...he is marking his territory. Basically, he's saying this is my place, not yours! This can be a difficult habit to break but it is absolutely possible to do so.
Try the following ideas. Hopefully they will help!
1. Use Feliway to help him not want to spray. Feliway mimics the friendly marking that cats do when they rub their faces on things. When a cat smells a friendly scent, they are unlikely to mark with urine. The Feliway box will give detailed instructions on how to use it....follow the instructions carefully.
2. Hang aluminum foil or bubble-wrap on the places the cat likes to spray. Cats usually will not spray on foil or bubble-wrap because it makes an unpleasant sound when hit with the urine and it makes the urine splash back on the cat. Each day that the cat does not spray, tear about an inch off the bottom until the foil or bubble-wrap is completely gone. Don't remove the whole strip all at once because the cat may interpret this as you saying it is okay to spray here again. (No one ever wants to do this because is looks so bad to have aluminum or bubble-wrap hanging all over their houses â€“ but, once they give in and try the aluminum or bubble-wrap, they find it works wonders. Try it, youâ€™ll like it!)
3. If you see the cat getting into the spray position, yell "No!" and then (gently) grab him and put him in time-out (in the bathroom for example) for only 2-3 minutes. Do the same if you caught him in the act.
4. Also check out this handy gadget www.sprayalert.com
which works by making a loud noise when the cat sprays. This lets you know that the cat sprayed AND the sound startles them which makes them not want to spray on that spot again..
5. Check to see if there are stray cats hanging out outside your house. A cat will often spray in response to strange cats around the house. Make sure you don't walk through outside cat spray and track that smell into the house.
6. Be patient and persistent. Breaking the spraying habit can take a while, but it should work.