or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sneaker's room pic

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 


This is for those of you who wondered how to set up the nursery.
This is some sort of hamster or rabbit cage... it's the perfect size for Sneakers. I have her hard food and her water in there, lots of old towels, and I have it covered so it feels secure for her. Her litter box is beside the toilet away from her cage. I feed her soft food three times a day in the room with her. She comes out of the cage to eat it.

She really likes it!

And here's the latest picture of her BIG belly:
post #2 of 27
thanxs 4 tht it helped i had not a clue what 2 do 2 set up i got my friends old dog cage now n gonna do same as u my boots is due nyday now n acting really strange n she has same tummy as sneakers it wld b sooo cool if they go at same time
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Glad I could help! Of course, after she has the babies, I will be changing the towels. But she likes it and goes in there at night. I have a routine where I feed her wet food in front of her cage right before I go to bed, then she walks in there after she's done and I turn out the light and shut the bathroom door. I don't shut the door to the cage at night, obviously. That will be the kitten room until they are four weeks old, maybe more, maybe less...


That would be cool if we had litters at the same time... my Sneakers is a small kitty, too.

Waiting stinks, eh?
post #4 of 27
Hi,

That was great to see, thanks. I was wondering what exactly everyone else was doing with their boxes for the kitties.

My Boo is due any day now too.

As I dont have a spare room I have set her up in my room. I have made her a pen out of an old childs cot, i have borded the base and the sides so when the kittens become more active they can wonder around in there without being able to come to any harm. It also means my 3 kids cant get to them without me being there.They are banned from my room now until she is ready. I have put her a cardboard box in there with a blanket covering over the top to make it feel cave like. I have cut out a hole in the front so she can get in and out. Her litter and food are all in the pen with her so she is getting used to going in there. I have a pillowcase stuffed with some newspaper and an old towel in her box. Have I done this right.

She has been in her box a couple of times and had a scratch about but thats as much interest as she has shown in it really. Is this ok ??

Emma x
post #5 of 27
Whatever type of nest you choose to set up, remember that Momma will be attending to her babies in there for the duration of 4 to 5 weeks so it should be large enough to be comfortable for Momma and for her growing litter -- then the babies should be allowed to freely roam about in a small room until they are litter-trained. At that time, let them roam supervised around your home.
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
We have a larger dog crate to switch to if we need to... they will have the run of the bathroom when they want it. It's bigger than most bathrooms... thank goodness. If it were as small as the upstairs bathroom, I don't think it would fit anything!
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'misskisses
Hi,

That was great to see, thanks. I was wondering what exactly everyone else was doing with their boxes for the kitties.

My Boo is due any day now too.

As I dont have a spare room I have set her up in my room. I have made her a pen out of an old childs cot, i have borded the base and the sides so when the kittens become more active they can wonder around in there without being able to come to any harm. It also means my 3 kids cant get to them without me being there.They are banned from my room now until she is ready. I have put her a cardboard box in there with a blanket covering over the top to make it feel cave like. I have cut out a hole in the front so she can get in and out. Her litter and food are all in the pen with her so she is getting used to going in there. I have a pillowcase stuffed with some newspaper and an old towel in her box. Have I done this right.

She has been in her box a couple of times and had a scratch about but thats as much interest as she has shown in it really. Is this ok ??

Emma x
If she has a way out of the box, I wouldn't put her litter in there. Sneakers won't eat her food if she can smell her litter, even if it is clean. She's picky, though.

Otherwise, it sounds like a great set up to me... but I'm a beginner too. I might need to cover the cage bars with something when the kittens come.

How much longer does she have to go? Sneakers doesn't stay in it all the time, she only goes in there willingly at night, and I fed her IN the cage for the first couple days so she knew it was safe for her. She goes into the cage when she wants peace and quiet, if she can't find it anywhere else in the house. I am assuming that our kitties will want to go in there more often as the get closer. If you're worried about her having the kittens under a bed or somewhere, you can move it to a spare bathroom like I did. But lots of people let their cats have them wherever, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have the boaded up unless you have dogs or other cats that might bother her and her kittens.
post #8 of 27
hey hows sneakers doing today??? my boots has been acting so strange l8ly she has been sprinting about last night and today her back end was all twitchy like vibrating way was well weird shes clamed down now though n yeah w8ing sux least thng boots does im all hyper thinkin oooo is this it hahaha
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
She sounds close! Sneakers is pretty chilled out right now... she doesn't seem to be very close... but I think she might explode if she doesn't go soon!
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva
If she has a way out of the box, I wouldn't put her litter in there. Sneakers won't eat her food if she can smell her litter, even if it is clean. She's picky, though.

Otherwise, it sounds like a great set up to me... but I'm a beginner too. I might need to cover the cage bars with something when the kittens come.

How much longer does she have to go? Sneakers doesn't stay in it all the time, she only goes in there willingly at night, and I fed her IN the cage for the first couple days so she knew it was safe for her. She goes into the cage when she wants peace and quiet, if she can't find it anywhere else in the house. I am assuming that our kitties will want to go in there more often as the get closer. If you're worried about her having the kittens under a bed or somewhere, you can move it to a spare bathroom like I did. But lots of people let their cats have them wherever, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have the boaded up unless you have dogs or other cats that might bother her and her kittens.

Hi,

I took her to the vet on the 7th june and he said she would deliver within 2 weeks but he did say it could quite likely been within days so i have been expecting it any day.

Im so impatient. Im also very excited......

She has been very quiet today and I have just been up to lie with her on my bed and she was letting me rub her belly. I gave her nipple a little squeeze and it produces some milk. Im sure we are getting there. Fingers crossed.

She cant really get under anywhere or hide anyplace in our room that isnt safe so im not too worried about that. I live in a really tiny home with only one bathroom and 3 young kids so its probably the busiest room in the house. Her only option is my room. she has been enjoying spending time in there though.
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
It sounds like your room is the perfect place! I bet your kids are excited...

I haven't noticed milk from Sneakers, yet... I can tell her "breasts" are full, though.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva
It sounds like your room is the perfect place! I bet your kids are excited...

I haven't noticed milk from Sneakers, yet... I can tell her "breasts" are full, though.

My 3 year old is very excited and constantly asking if the babies have come yet.

How is Sneakers doing today ??

Emma x x
post #13 of 27
heya hows sneakers today? i so cant wait to see what her kittens look like i have a total thing about grey cats and its near impossible to get one in scotland well my area. i have no idea what boots kittys colours are going to be as i have no idea who the dad is
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ohh.. is everyone going to follow Sneakers like they did Skittles? LOL
I love this site... everyone is so supportive.

Anyways, she's doing fine this morning. No unusual signs or signs of impending labor... vet said the mucus plug can eeck out for up to two weeks before hand, so perhaps she still has a week to go. She can barely move, though. It's rather entertaining! Poor baby...
post #15 of 27
Wow your sneakers looks alot like my MaxSheba! I've never seen a cat that looked like her before. If anyone is wondering how she came to be MaxSheba I wanted Sheba and my husband wanted to name her after his first cat Max so we combined and thus MaxSheba. Anyhow, I noticed that she was in heat and clowning so bad a month ago or so and my stud Tiger passed away. One day she got out and she was NOT playing she wouldn't let ANYONE catch up with her. Yesterday I was rubbing her and I rubbed her belly and her ears went off to the sides, and all you cat owners know what that mean, she was M-A-D. She's never acted like from a belly rub b4 although my baby really isn't affectionate anyway, but never that type of temperment. That's when I noticed her nipples weren't flattened but raised, pink, and prominent. My husband and I agree it's been a little over three weeks since her escape and her little escapades in heat so I think we may be having kittens. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. But can anyone tell me some of the signs of their cats pregnancy aside from taking the cat to the vet. We will be doing that in a few weeks?
post #16 of 27
Hi ms_joshica and welcome to The Cat Site's Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care Forum! We all look forward to hearing more about you and your MaxSheba! I always love to hear how kitties have come by their names, so thanks for sharing that with us! *smile*

Since it is still rather early in MaxSheba's term (if she is pregnant and my guess would be that she is), you still have the option of having her spayed now to prevent the pregnancy from progressing.

If spaying her now is decided not to be an option for you and she is indeed expecting kittens, there is a good article here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80724
that may assist you with what to expect and how to prepare.

I would encourage you to start a new thread here so as not to be confusing - if you have any questions about how to use the site, don't hesitate to contact me - my profile is located here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/member.php?u=117

and you can use the link on the right side of the screen to send me a private message.

Thanks for joining us here at TCS and again, welcome.

GayeF, Forums Moderator
post #17 of 27
awww poor sneakers boots waddles when she walks u see her tummy goin side 2 side hahaha but all those mad signs she was having stopped im conffuzled na d think she isnt going to have them haha cmon sneakers ge tthem kittys out for your mummy and for all us so we can get all gushy over them haha
post #18 of 27
I will be sure to read that article and I cant wait to see more pictures of sneakers, what a creative name.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
She liked to hide as a kitten, so we called her Sneakers. Her original name was Mikaela (a Finnish girl's name) but "Sneakers" fits her personality much better.

Sneakers is crying right now... I think I should go check on her. Either she's hungry or something is going on...
post #20 of 27
Aww I know a few human Mikala (sp?) thats a beautiful name for a kitty kitty but sneakers is creative. I hope she's okay. I can't wait to find out if my MaxSheba is prego or not
post #21 of 27
awww sneakers i hope you are ok hugs and love from me and boots
post #22 of 27
So?? No babies from anyone yet??

Edit: Oops just saw Boots is now a mummy! How's Sneakers?
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Yep... Sneakers had her babies! Read all about them in the "those of us who are waiting" thread.
post #24 of 27
godiva i knew our cats would be close as when i saw pics of sneakers tummy it was same as boots how are ur lil angels doing boots is sooo tired she wont leave them ive had 2 move her food 2 her shes so over protective i feel so bad just wish there was something i could have done 4 still born but i was told it went before birth still hurts there like my grandchildren
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm afraid there might be a couple losses in my litter, too... a couple of them look a lot younger than the others.

Hang in there... just focus your energy on the remaining kittens. How many were there in all?
post #26 of 27
6 in all 5 alive 1 poor stillborn weirdthing was it was biggest in litter rest are all same size there already fighting over nipples lol hows sneakers is she coping ok?
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 
Sneakers seems to be taking it all in fairly well... except that she doesn't lick the kittens very often. Does anyone know of anything I can do besides cleaning them myself? Can I put some butter on the kittens to stimulate momma to lick them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care