TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Need Hypoallergenic/Limited Ingredient Food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need Hypoallergenic/Limited Ingredient Food

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Well, as some of you might have red, one of my cats is very sick.

We (the vet and I) want to put him on a hypoallergenic/limited Ingredient diet.
She recommends Hills Rx z/d and sells it.
I would personally like to find a better food which serves the same purpose.
A canned diet would be optimal to kibble for us.

I'm trying to look into foods but there is only so much time in a day.

If any of you have some ideas, or have been through this as well, please let us know.
post #2 of 28
Are you familiar with this brand? http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...as/VenCat.html
post #3 of 28
post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
jcat:

That is one that I already have on a very short list of foods.

Thus far my list consists of...

Royal Canin - Green Pea's & Rabbit
Hills - z/d
Natural Balance - Venison & Pea
Sensible Choice - Adult Chicken
Avoderm - Select Cuts Chicken Chunks
by Nature Organics - Chicken & Chicken Liver
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hell603: Life's Abundance does not apply to what I'm specifically looking for, but thank you.
post #6 of 28
Do you have any idea yet what your cat is reacting to?

For single source protein foods (that would need to be supplemented) try Evanger's wild game canned foods (made for dogs, they simply aren't supplemented in any way, they are just what they say - pheasant etc. and no other ingredients), or Just Meat by Wysong - which is duck, turkey, venison and 3 others..again, not complete, it would require supplementation.

Other single protein source foods includes a new to this country IcelandPet Fish Pates (comes in trout, salmon and I think cod).

You can find the evangers and wysong websites just by doing a quick google search, and website/sources for the Iceland Pet.

I also would second the suggestion you consider Natural Balance's Venison and Green Pea.

Not a single source protein food but not found in this country proteins (mixed with venison) try addiction pet foods - from australia, uses unagi eel, and brushtail (possum I believe).
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Pat & Alix: We have no idea at this time. But the vet has not yet found a culprit for his vomiting of food and bile so she's starting to think it's a food sensitivity of some sort. But we are still in the process of doing more tests.
In the mean time she wants to see if a change of diet to something like this will help.

I have concidered an all animal protein diet with a supplement I've looked at both Evangers, Wysong and others. However with most supplements I've come across they have ingredients such as several veggies/fruits and/or other animal parts. So in a sense he's still not getting a very restricted/limited diet.

Believe me, I'm not thrilled about taking him off a raw diet, but I'm willing to try it and see if by chance it DOES help.
If it is a food intollerance to too rich of a diet then I think home made or a single protein source and no extras would be the way to go. If we do find out that it's an allergy to a certain ingredient(s) then I will deal with that accordingly.

Here is a run down of the foods I'm looking at.

Royal Canin - Rabbit & Peas:
http://www.royalcanin.us/documents/F...PeasRabbit.pdf

Hills z/d:
Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Water, Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Natural Balance - Venison & Peas:
Natural Balance -Venison & Green Pea:
Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate,Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12.
Moisture (max) \t78
Crude Protein (min) \t9
Crude Fat (min) \t5
Crude Fiber (max) \t1
Taurine (min) \t0.05

Sensible Choice:
Chicken, chicken liver, water sufficient for processing, brewers rice, guar gum, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, taurine, ferrous sulphate, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin, sodium selenite.
Moisture (maximum) \t76
Crude Protein (minimum) \t9
Crude Fat (minimum) \t5
Crude Fiber (maximum) \t2
Ash (max) \t1.5
Calcium (min) \t0.3
Phosphorus (min) \t0.2
Taurine (min) \t0.05
Magnesium (max) \t0.02

AvoDerm – Select Cuts Chicken Chunks:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Xanthan, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Crude Protein 10.00%
Crude Fat 4.00%
Crude Fiber 1.00%
Taurine 0.04%
Moisture 80.00%
Ash 1.90%
Magnesium 0.02%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 0.49%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.10%
73 kcal/can

by Nature Organics – Chicken & Chicken Liver:
Organic Chicken, Natural Well Water, Organic Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Organic Guar Gum, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, Riboflavin, D3, B12), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Crude Protein (Minimum) ............... 10% Crude Fiber (Maximum) ................. 1.5%
Crude Fat (Minimum).................... 6.0% Moisture (Maximum)................... 78.0%
post #8 of 28
I HIGHLY suggest California Natural! It's specially made with very few ingredients and I have heard many many success stories for both dogs and cats with allergies. It comes in two dry flavors (chicken or herring) and comes in three canned flavors (venison, fish or chicken.) I suggest the herring & potato formula for your guy. Here are the ingredients:

HERRING & POTATO DRY

Herring
Barley
Oatmeal/Rolled Oats
Herring Meal
Sweet Potatoes
Sunflower Oil
Herring Oil
Natural Flavors
Taurine
DL-Methionine
Choline Chloride
Vitamins/Minerals

Also, I think the canned venison formula would be good in your case, because venison is a good protein source for cats who are allergic to chicken, beef, etc.

VENISON & RICE CANNED

Venison
Fish Broth
Herring
Ground Brown Rice
Egg
Flaxseed
Sunflower Oil
Guar Gum
Taurine
Vitamins/Minerals

Good luck! Hope your kitty gets better soon!
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
Apric0t:
If it did not have the fish and egg in it, I would consider it. I have easily looked at and reviewed 50 brands of cat food today alone. And that small list is what I am left with.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue Ash
Pat & Alix: We have no idea at this time. But the vet has not yet found a culprit for his vomiting of food and bile so she's starting to think it's a food sensitivity of some sort. But we are still in the process of doing more tests.
In the mean time she wants to see if a change of diet to something like this will help.

I have concidered an all animal protein diet with a supplement I've looked at both Evangers, Wysong and others. However with most supplements I've come across they have ingredients such as several veggies/fruits and/or other animal parts. So in a sense he's still not getting a very restricted/limited diet.

Believe me, I'm not thrilled about taking him off a raw diet, but I'm willing to try it and see if by chance it DOES help.
If it is a food intollerance to too rich of a diet then I think home made or a single protein source and no extras would be the way to go. If we do find out that it's an allergy to a certain ingredient(s) then I will deal with that accordingly.

Here is a run down of the foods I'm looking at.

Royal Canin - Rabbit & Peas:
http://www.royalcanin.us/documents/F...PeasRabbit.pdf

Hills z/d:
Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Water, Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Calcium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Natural Balance - Venison & Peas:
Natural Balance -Venison & Green Pea:
Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate,Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12.
Moisture (max) \t78
Crude Protein (min) \t9
Crude Fat (min) \t5
Crude Fiber (max) \t1
Taurine (min) \t0.05

Sensible Choice:
Chicken, chicken liver, water sufficient for processing, brewers rice, guar gum, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, taurine, ferrous sulphate, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, manganese proteinate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin, sodium selenite.
Moisture (maximum) \t76
Crude Protein (minimum) \t9
Crude Fat (minimum) \t5
Crude Fiber (maximum) \t2
Ash (max) \t1.5
Calcium (min) \t0.3
Phosphorus (min) \t0.2
Taurine (min) \t0.05
Magnesium (max) \t0.02

AvoDerm – Select Cuts Chicken Chunks:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Xanthan, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Crude Protein 10.00%
Crude Fat 4.00%
Crude Fiber 1.00%
Taurine 0.04%
Moisture 80.00%
Ash 1.90%
Magnesium 0.02%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 0.49%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.10%
73 kcal/can

by Nature Organics – Chicken & Chicken Liver:
Organic Chicken, Natural Well Water, Organic Chicken Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Organic Guar Gum, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, Riboflavin, D3, B12), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Crude Protein (Minimum) ............... 10% Crude Fiber (Maximum) ................. 1.5%
Crude Fat (Minimum).................... 6.0% Moisture (Maximum)................... 78.0%
http://www.crvetcenter.com/foodallergy.htm is a link I think you might find interesting. If it were me...I'd go for (from the above list) the Nature Organics, or the Avoderm, the Royal Canin rabbit and peas (if no soy or corn) and the sensible choice if you do want to try a carb in the food.

I would not try the california natural simply because while it contains few ingredients, does have more than one protein (both herring and chicken in their chicken and brown rice canned), and the natural balance while I do like it, if you want to start off with a real rule-out diet, you need to restrict number of protein sources and grains/carbs in a single food..I'd be concerned over the salmon oil, flaxseed, kelp and cranberries.

Fwiw, Hills Z/D was what extended my Joshua's life by several years after nothing worked (including the entire line of canned veterinary diets - rabbit and peas, duck and peas, etc.).

ps you may be able to find a good recipe for a homemade supplement.
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
I would like to try the by Nature Organics the most. But I haven't found a place online, and the nearest place that carries the brand of food (I don't know if it has THAT formula) is over an hour away from me. To a side of the state I never go to.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue Ash
I would like to try the by Nature Organics the most. But I haven't found a place online, and the nearest place that carries the brand of food (I don't know if it has THAT formula) is over an hour away from me. To a side of the state I never go to.
I have to admit to being stumped...I can't find this company online at all. If you can find the company's web address or a customer service number, they should be able to tell you what online stores carry their products. But...I did check the major players in cat foods online and didn't find it.

If you do need to go to this one store, call, be sure they have what you want, and see if they'll take a phone order and ship. Given the price of gas, it might be about equal (ups ground would be cheapest or dhl, I think).
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Pat & Alix:

Sure, the website address for the company is...
http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/

They have a retail locator function and so far only that one that is over an hour away has shown up. It's some feed store that I have never even heard of. I will certainly try and call them tomorrow.
Petfooddirect.com sells by Nature but not the Organic canned lines.
post #14 of 28
How about Raw- Advantage Organic Dinner for Cats:

Here is the link if you want to consider it.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ts/139001.aspx
post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hell603: The diet he is on right now and has been for the past 8+ months is a premade raw diet.

I'm really starting to question this vet I'm seeing. She's nice and all but I'm starting to doubt her knowledge on many aspects.
post #16 of 28
If interested, their website will give you info on stores in a number of states (not sure if it will list your state)....www.rawadvantagepetfood.com
and I like very much that they have a " Frozen Free Range Turkey No Garlic Dinner for Cats" since I believe that option should be made available for folks who do not believe in feeding garlic to their cats.
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
There are far too many good foods out there nowadays which contain garlic. While I'm personally indecisive about that subject, I do know that a touch of garlic can help entice many ill animals to want to eat.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue Ash
Hell603: The diet he is on right now and has been for the past 8+ months is a premade raw diet.

I'm really starting to question this vet I'm seeing. She's nice and all but I'm starting to doubt her knowledge on many aspects.
I would actually try a simplier raw ... If I remember you have difficulty with find other than what your on??? I say this due to my Gigi having such issues also ... she can only have a chn rice oatmeal dry and two dog food cans but alot of different raws without grains( she is a yorkie) she also gets several cat cans

Pro pac makes a beef and rice

Sensible choice is good

Natural Balence is great in the venison

Evangers is good and has a few different cans

Feline cavier has a beaver one it looks intresting

Pet guard makes a great rabbit
post #19 of 28
my cat loves this food...
What is not in Instinctive Choice
Instinctive Choice does not contain fruits (such as cranberries or apples), vegetables (such as sweets potatoes or carrots) or grains (such as wheat, barley corn or oats). Cats are metabolically adapted to use protein and fat as energy sources and they have little need for carbohydrates.

The question is "why do most manufacturers use carbohydrates; such as, fruits, vegetables and grains in their canned cat food?" We understand the use of carbohydrates in dry foods because they are necessary to form the kibble or nuggets. However, we do not understand the use of carbohydrates in canned foods. Other companies may use them because they are generally less expensive than meat and they sound better to consumers. At HealthyPetNet, we think it is more important to focus on what a feline really needs for good health rather than on cost or the desire to feed our felines "human-like" ingredients.

Instinctive Choice does NOT contain gluten or fillers, nor does it contain by-products, any type of chemical preservatives or artificial flavors, flavor enhancers or food colorings.

Good company but you have to mail order it...I free feed their dry. Hope you find one that your cat can handle....that's the important thing!
post #20 of 28
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
that is NOT and allergy formula... too many proteins and too many veggies
post #22 of 28
Don't put your cat on z/d unless it's a last resort! z/d gives my cat WICKED Diarrhea, wet or dry. Don't do it unless you have to, I think because it's so broken down it gives them diarrhea [it is the best hypoallergenic food out there]. Several animals I know on it hat wicked diarrhea. Although you might try it for a bit to see if it does help him because in between food trials you could put him back on that food to keep him stable.

Go ahead and try some a couple of the complete diets, if you're still having problems I fed my cat Evanger's Game Meats [technically for dogs] and just added Taurine to it. It's not necessarily complete, but for a food trial, you can do it for a long time without your cat being harmed. My cat was on this set up for 3 months just fine.

What foods has your cat been on? Any common ingredients?

The problem I see with the Avoderm, Nature Organics, and Sensible choice, is that it contains chicken which is high on the allergen list.

I would do any of the duck & pea/ Rabbit & pea/Venison & pea diets.
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
I think, for now, the first one I will try is the NB Venison & Pea. My kitty has not had Venison in years (if ever) and has never had peas in his diet.

I'm still not fully convinced that this is diet related, he passed some funky stools the other day including plastic from trash bags, and a large amount of plant matter (large for a cat at least.) And I'm still continuing to inspect his elimination habbits while he's in quarinteen.

I don't think he's allergic to Chicken, as when I switched him to the Lamb formula (containing no Chicken or Poultry products) he was still continuing to have issues.

It's now day... 3 of the bland diet, organic Chicken & Rice boiled and no signs of vomiting of either food or bile.
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Ok, so after about 3 days, Tage finally pooped late last night/early this morning!

It's normal colour and consistency, except that one of them is covered in a black mucous that by the time I found it was dried, so only one of the little piece of fecal was like this, the other two were normal.

We let him out of quarantine for a while yesterday under supervision so he could run around, and I gave him a proper belly rub to help stimulate him and hopefully get any gas moving that might be in there.

He's out again right now since he pooped and he's sitting on my lap *big surprise there*.
I gave him a teaspoon of the NB Venison & Pea's which he gobbled up! And didn't throw up. So I'll just going like that, slowly increasing the NB by one teaspoon every day. Since I started last night, he'll get one teaspoon today, then 2 teaspoons tonight, but will continue the bland diet at the same time.
post #25 of 28
Yippy for Tage... the stool was likely the result of taking so long to get out
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Could very well be, though being black and tarry is generally an indication of blood. But being that it was only on one of the small pieces (the smallest) of the 3, hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

He's back in quarantine to see how the rest of his stools are, etc.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
One of my cats is on Z/D food right now to see if her constant scratching is food related. She's been on it since April. She is still scratching. I looked into the link above and thought the testimonials on the website sounded promising. I was just doing a little research before I call the vet who put Bella on Z/D food to talk to him about this food suggestion. On a whim, I went to the Science Diet website to see the ingredients in the Z/D food and noticed that they also have a venison and green pea dry formula for cats. Was anyone else aware of that?

Peace,
Sophie
post #28 of 28
I have no more to add to the wonderful advice you are getting. I only wanted to send good vibes that this works. It must be so hard on both of you to be going through this vomiting and bile issues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Need Hypoallergenic/Limited Ingredient Food