TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Trying to save kitties from the gas chamber
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to save kitties from the gas chamber

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
There is a legitimate, fantastic rescue in Georgia that is bombarded with requests to save cats and kittens from the local kill shelters. Please help if you can. Please visit their site to see what they are all about.

http://www.savethekitties.org/index.html

Thank you.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCat
There is a legitimate, fantastic rescue in Georgia that is bombarded with requests to save cats and kittens from the local kill shelters. Please help if you can. Please visit their site to see what they are all about.

http://www.savethekitties.org/index.html

Thank you.
There are lots of really good rescue groups in every state. Although I can appreciate that this group is trying to save the kittens in Georgia, I do believe in supporting local groups. To my knowledge, there isn't a single state that doesn't have a problem with an overload of kittens needing homes right now.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
That's right...so everyone should save cats whereever they choose to....Georgia, ohio, california...I don't care! Just save them! I just picked this organization because it has gone BEYOND the call of duty to save cats/kittens on numerous occasions. I know this for a fact.

Some people say death is death and of course it is always sad....but if anyone cares to do research on the gas chamber (still in use in several states here in the US), you will see how this is a much more horrendous death then death by injection. I work at an animal hospital and I know euthanasia by needle is most humane. Less than a minute and it is over with. Death by gas chamber lasts 10 to 20 minutes. It just makes me sick that this happens in our country.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCat
That's right...so everyone should save cats whereever they choose to....Georgia, ohio, california...I don't care! Just save them! I just picked this organization because it has gone BEYOND the call of duty to save cats/kittens on numerous occasions. I know this for a fact.

Some people say death is death and of course it is always sad....but if anyone cares to do research on the gas chamber (still in use in several states here in the US), you will see how this is a much more horrendous death then death by injection. I work at an animal hospital and I know euthanasia by needle is most humane. Less than a minute and it is over with. Death by gas chamber lasts 10 to 20 minutes. It just makes me sick that this happens in our country.
8 counties in Virginia are still using the gas chamber (down from 21).

http://www.virginiavotersforanimalwe...ambersMain.htm

See, I disagree...the death of any kitten or cat in a shelter environment when it is not deemed necessary due to quality of life..is a tragedy. I don't consider the fact that a gas chamber was used to be a reason to put rescuing kittens in gas chambers above those in other kill shelters. I think all cats/kittens awaiting euthanization deserve a chance to be rescued.

Katie
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Where did I say that gas chambers kitties are more important? I said the death was crueler. I picked an organization that I believes does wonderful work and for whom I believe in. Is it not o.k. for me to post for them??? I notice you post a bunch of links for your Virginia causes. Do you only want Virginia people to visit them? Besides perhaps there are people in Georgia on this forum reading this that decide they want to help?


....and yes..... I do feel that gasping and howling and screaming and vomiting and pooping in terror and illness for 20 minute before you die is horrendous.

Anyway, I'm sorry my simple post for help had to turn into some sort of debate. It's very disappointing.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCat
Where did I say that gas chambers kitties are more important? I said the death was crueler. I picked an organization that I believes does wonderful work and for whom I believe in. Is it not o.k. for me to post for them??? I notice you post a bunch of links for your Virginia causes. Do you only want Virginia people to visit them? Besides perhaps there are people in Georgia on this forum reading this that decide they want to help?


....and yes..... I do feel that gasping and howling and screaming and vomiting and pooping in terror and illness for 20 minute before you die is horrendous.

Anyway, I'm sorry my simple post for help had to turn into some sort of debate. It's very disappointing.
It's great you believe in them...I'm just expressing the fact that other organizations do wonderful work as well and that people should consider local endevours.

Quote:
Some people say death is death and of course it is always sad....but if anyone cares to do research on the gas chamber (still in use in several states here in the US), you will see how this is a much more horrendous death then death by injection. I work at an animal hospital and I know euthanasia by needle is most humane. Less than a minute and it is over with. Death by gas chamber lasts 10 to 20 minutes. It just makes me sick that this happens in our country.
To me, stating that the gas chamber is a worse form of death is implying that these cats deserve to be pulled first. That was probly not your goal...but again, that is how it can come across.

As far as my website...yup..it's dedicated to shelters and rescues in Virginia. My rehome page (and to some degree my feral cat page) is probably the only one that isn't dedicated to my own state. And since I have a tracker on my site, I can tell you that most people who visit are from Virginia.

Katie
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thank you to anyone that decides to help
post #8 of 13
Well, if you had a choice between saving a cat that faced a painful death as opposed to one that faced a painless one, wouldn't you try to keep cats out of gas chambers before you kept them away from lethal injections?

Certainly they both deserve life; but no one person can help all endangered cats. It's just an issue of triage here: Where can you do the most good?

If, with the same effort, you can save one cat from pain *and* death, or save another from just death... chances are you will go for the first cat.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista
Well, if you had a choice between saving a cat that faced a painful death as opposed to one that faced a painless one, wouldn't you try to keep cats out of gas chambers before you kept them away from lethal injections?

Certainly they both deserve life; but no one person can help all endangered cats. It's just an issue of triage here: Where can you do the most good?

If, with the same effort, you can save one cat from pain *and* death, or save another from just death... chances are you will go for the first cat.
I'm assuming the question was to me. Frankly, I'd save the one that I could save that is closest to me...chances are that would not be one in a gas chamber shelter. I understand others may choose differently, but I'm a big advocate of helping out locally.

I prefer to donate my time and money towards spaying/neutering. To me, more spayed cats means fewer abandoned kittens...which means fewer kittens entering the shelter that face euthanization (whether in a gas chamber or by lethal injection).

Katie
post #10 of 13
Well, yes; you can save more cats locally than you could if you had to drive cross country for each one. Just the fuel costs would exclude one more cat that you don't have the money to help... Mine was more of a "all things being equal" statement.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCat
I just picked this organization because it has gone BEYOND the call of duty to save cats/kittens on numerous occasions. I know this for a fact.
EVERY rescue organization I've personally dealt with on large scale cat projects, including my own rescue goes BEYOND the call of duty to save cats and kittens. This is what rescue work is all about.

While I commend you for being dedicated enough to this rescue to post for assistance, I tend to agree with Katie that helping local rescues is the way to make a difference in your community and the cats affected in it.

The question was asked "Where can you do the most good?"

The answer, where you live.

I live in Ohio...where gassing chambers (and sometimes even rogue Dog Warden's with rifles) are used. 90% of the nursing/pregnant queens we pull come from gassing shelters where they would have been euthanized because of their status.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well I guess my thread got pretty well hijacked. I just posted for help for this organization. If you don't want to help, then fine. I'll REPEAT...maybe there are Georgians on this board that will decide to help???? I didn't realize this was the debate section.

If you go to the Savethekitties site, you will see they push spay/neuter and have sites listed to go to for education.

I'm aware of Ohio's horrendous animal population. Not just cats but dogs too. I'm also aware of their gas chambers. I would say those of you in Ohio that do rescue need all the help you can get whether local or out of state.

I will always encourage spay neuter programs and the organizations that I belong to always advocate it also and even provide spay/neuter clinics. I will and DO encourage people to adopt locally. We have a Cat Team Mobile in our state that has spayed 1,000's upon 1,000's of cats/kittens at a very low cost. Things are still not where they should be but we are in a much better position than before Team started. Sadly progress will always be slow when it comes to animals and ignorance. The more ignorance, the more of a problem there is.

Yes every state has a an overpopulation problem but like it or not certain parts of the United States have a much larger problem than others. The few people in Georgia that recognize their animal overpopulation problem and do rescue will tell you they are in desperate need of help. Their voices are too few and fall on deaf ears. One small shelter in Coweta ,Georgia last week took in 125 cats/kittens. There cat room doesn't have much more than 30 cages.

Anyway it's late and I'm tired...sorry for rambling.
There are just too many unwanted cats and dogs in the United states. Personally I think a life saved is a life saved no matter what the location and who does the saving.
post #13 of 13
Thank you for posting for Ga., We do have a very high kill rate here, And by posting this site more people here would maybe want to help! So thanks again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Trying to save kitties from the gas chamber