I could KILL my dogs!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ARGGHH!!! Talk about being MAD!! We went out of town for awhile this evening to visit my SIL(hospital) and came home to my trash strung-literally-from my kitchen to my living room!!! Ugghh...I could totally strangle my dogs
What 'lil butt heads they are!! And they know mommy is mad at them. LOL....

Sorry but I had to gripe for a minute!!

aphrodeia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, how frustrating! What is it with dogs and garbage cans? Seriously!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aphrodeia

Ugh, how frustrating! What is it with dogs and garbage cans? Seriously!
I really wish I knew!!
Uggh, it is so annoying!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you should keep your dog outside on a leash when youre out, or atleast in a empty room where they cant trash anything

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing I know how that is the neighbor hod dogs do it to my trash all the time... My pets no trash is mine LOL ... Welll u get the picture

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww...we went through that phase when Pooch was a pup. We bought trash cans with lids and that helped tremendously. Now none of our trash has lids, but he dosen't bother it anymore and Daisy is so small she couldn't reach any of them anyway LOL. Another thing that helps is to make sure that you don't put ANY food in the trash at all. All of our trash with food goes straight out to the garage or down the disposal. That really makes a big difference (unless you have one on poop patrol if you know what I mean!)

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you should keep your dog outside on a leash when youre out, or atleast in a empty room where they cant trash anything
It's really not ideal to tie your dog up outside. Many dogs form aggressions this way. It's best to kennel your dog in a crate while you're gone.

You really can't completely blame them, garbage is really yummy.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My office manager has a labrador who is always going into the bin in the kitchen. I keep telling her to empty it every morning/evening because she's just putting temptation in his way.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

It's best to kennel your dog in a crate while you're gone.
I agree, especially when they are puppies and still learning.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

It's really not ideal to tie your dog up outside. Many dogs form aggressions this way. It's best to kennel your dog in a crate while you're gone.

You really can't completely blame them, garbage is really yummy.
I agree..Don't tie your dog up outside.
Crate or put the garbage away! Its not the dog's fault!!...

deanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Roll up a newspaper and swat yourself on the nose with it for leaving temptation in the dog's path. Then pick up the garbage, learn from your mistake and think about how *someday* you'll laugh about this.

I've had to swat myself across the nose pretty often for various dog incidents. I guess I'm a slow learner!

I have to agree with those who said to never leave your dog tied up outside, or even outside alone in a fenced area, for an extended time. It isn't safe for them and creates a potential neighborhood nuisance. In a former life (15 - 20 years ago), I lost my two dogs that way. They escaped my yard. I learned later one was hit by a car and killed. I never found the other. I'll never leave my dogs outside alone again.

aelurophile

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree on the dangers of leaving the dog outside. I live in the Lawrence, KS area and several dogs & cats have been mauled and killed by roaming dogs (I think a couple of the cases even involved dogs in fenced areas but the roaming dogs, whose owners had trained them to fight, jumped the fences).

Good luck with the trash situation. I used to have that problem with one of my cats! A trashcan with a lid did wonders.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know friends with dogs who have had to go with a smaller kitchen trash can that they can keep in one of their cabinets under the sink. If you take it out every evening there isn't any problems.... You can also use trash cans with strong lids until they lose interest in it. My Mom & Dad had to buy an outside trash can to use in the kitchen until the dog lost interest. The inside trash can lids weren't strong enough and the dog still managed to get them open

I would never keep a dog tied up outside. Especially being here where the weather is so hot.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to see that it seems that more people don't advocate keeping a dog outside in the yard anymore..
There are just so many dangers and some that people have named (other animals, teasing kids, mean neighbours who use poison, the weather (the heat and thunderstorms), the dog getting out, etc..

And I do know trash dogs. I used to have a dog that would eat dirty diapers, snotty kleenexes and other um yucky things you find in trash..It can be a really hefty vet bill and dangerous too! I vote for the heavy trash can.
And the new metal shiny ones are kinda cool looking too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually my trash can has a lid
I know we empty the trash once a day-at least! I guess it is partly my fault, but coming home to that mess was just BAAAD!! Oh yeah and I have never been one to tie dogs up, because it is not fair to them! And I live outside of town, so mine usually just run or they are in the kennel....but last night I was being nice, and look what it got me.

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UGH my dogs do that NON STOP! our trash is in a cabinet but anytime I empty it and forget to put it right outside it is torn all over! even if it is a trashbag full of papers they still do it! And get up on my counters (no matter how far back I put things) and open up boxes of crackers etc...... UGH! I don't have enough cabinet space to leave everything in them drives me insane and they will have JUST been fed and STILL do this with food in their bowls! GRRRRRRRRRRR

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deanne

Roll up a newspaper and swat yourself on the nose with it for leaving temptation in the dog's path. Then pick up the garbage, learn from your mistake and think about how *someday* you'll laugh about this.

I've had to swat myself across the nose pretty often for various dog incidents. I guess I'm a slow learner!

I have to agree with those who said to never leave your dog tied up outside, or even outside alone in a fenced area, for an extended time. It isn't safe for them and creates a potential neighborhood nuisance. In a former life (15 - 20 years ago), I lost my two dogs that way. They escaped my yard. I learned later one was hit by a car and killed. I never found the other. I'll never leave my dogs outside alone again.
I had to run tinkle after I read this... I agree temptation is so hard to resist...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is notorious for chewing up my undergarments
So we invested in a crate for him. It's the largest you can buy. I found it in the local paper for only $30!
He loves it!
He's never gotten into the trash but he's been known to mutilate a couple pillows, candles, and my underwear!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it makes you feel better, my wolf- german shepherd mix has severe anxiety attacks during thunderstorms....and to make a long story short, she completely destroyed the wall in one of our bedrooms, and bathroom- as in you could see clear through the other side...plaster,plywood and wall was completely gone...she took out a pretty large area. Now she is crated when we are away for her own safety and we give her a tranquelizer on days when it's supposed to rain because she's made a decient attempt to get out of her metal crate ( it's very big, has a bed, food and water.) It's sad to watch her freak out, but her digging at the walls and trying to escape was a completely normal reaction for a dog that has anxiety attacks....so we didn't get mad at her...hehe, Colin just had to come over to my house and "patch" the entire wall lol.

Ah and in a humours touch, my boyfriend's dog Fosters decided to "attack" my victorias secret panties one day- which is a bit no-no...hehe lets just say he never tried it again. (he's scared to death of the newspaper, so i'll hit a piece of furniture with it, and he'll hear the noise and tucktail to run) lol. He's a pansy, but a cutie.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kennel my doggies when I'm not home, or I'd have lots of stuff to clean up too! And they'd be sick all the time from chewing things, so it's a good thing they don't mind being in the kennel!