Vibes for Stumpy please!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I ask for vibes too often of late but am asking for the magic of TCS once again. We had Stumpy to the vets a few weeks back partly for his baseline geriatric profile, but also because it appeared that he bit into a wasp and was stung inside his mouth.

Things appeared to be normal until late this week when he was barely eating, his coat was getting ruffled looking, he was feeling warm and drooling again. We brought him to the vet yesterday and he has what appears to be an absessed tooth. Dental surgery is planned for Tuesday morning. He had an anti-inflamatory shot and is on antibiotics until then.

Of course the vet told me that she will send out a tissue biopsy while she is in there, and warned me that there is an outside chance that it could be something more. The mom in me always gets nervous about these things.

On a lighter note: Stumpy has never been sick in his life and I can't remember ever giving him medicine before. When I called him over to give him his liquid meds last night, I pull out the syringe, he gives me a dirty squint, turns his head so that the sore part of his mouth is away from me and he opens up his mouth for me. I squirt it in, he swallows, gives me a grunt and walks away. I guess he learned from watching the other cats take meds that it just isn't worth it to fight me. I laughed my butt off.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Stumpy! He was such a good boy to take his meds.
Sending him healing vibes, and get well soon wishes. Please let us know how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm sending for Stumpy! That's amazing about the medicine.
The funny thing about it - when I gave him his meds this morning. He did the EXACT same thing. That cat is absolutely brilliant !!!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy is such a good boy.

I am sending lots of calming vibes to you & your sweet boy and on Tuesday you both will be in my prayers.
I'll be watching for your updates.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They put Stumpy under for his dental today and found out it is not an absessed tooth. At this point in time they are guessing either stomatitis or cancer. The swelling goes back into his throat which pushed them in the direction of a cancer diagnosis.

They took biopsies at a couple of places and will have the results back in about a week. We'll all be on pins and needles until then.

Never in my life have I rooted for stomatitis for any of my cats. That prognosis is bad enough but the alternative is grave.

For those not familiar with my clan, Stumpy is the KING of my household. He rules us, the other cats and the dogs. Regardless of the outcome, this is not going to be easy for anyone (man or beast) here.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Amy, I'm sorry it's bad news, and can certainly understand that stomatitis would be a welcome diagnosis.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no...this is not good news.

Stumpy
will be in my prayers.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy
Sending lots of healing vibes that the drs might be wrong and you have something easily fixed

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor guy is not feeling well tonight. He has disolvable stitches inside his mouth and I could tell when all the drugs from the surgery wore off. He's laying on my husband's chest right now being totally clingy. When he got home he got the usual greeting by the rest of the crew when a cat comes back from a full day at the vet - they all had to follow him around and sniff him. He got a little hacked and wacked Koko. I kept a close eye on him until I knew the drugs had worn off entirely.

But my friend had a brilliant idea on food for him and we confirmed that it was OK to do this from the vet: (human) baby food. He LOVED the Gerber turkey and rice this evening. We'll probably keep him on it for a few days until he is able to eat cat food again. Darn cat won't eat canned cat food - he only licks the gravy and he can't eat dry right now.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am hoping it is something treatable, do keep us posted.

misspremier007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry to hear about Stumpy and my thought and prayers are with you both. Stay strong and positive for him. Im sending you all my vibes. Good luck with the diagnosis and keep us updated x