Deeply grieving Caleb

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

In September '01, my little boy Caleb came into my life as a newborn rescued from under my grandparents house late one night. He weighed less than four ounces, my little mouse. I was living at home during this time just after nursing school, and cared for him around the clock as such tiny babies require. In this process, my Dad, former self proclaimed cat hater fell head over heals in love with him. He was absolutely the light of his eyes. When Sierra and I moved here to Emerald Isle, Caleb stayed with him.

Precious Caleb was so free and independent with the most gentle spirit. He had a little crook on the end of his tail which I adored, never really knowing why it was this way, just his special trait. After spending a while loving on him, it just seemed every cat should have a crooked tail. When he was a baby, Sierra didn't know what to think of him and if she was coming through the room where I was feeding him, she would go all the way around the longest route possible keeping a careful eye on him in a cute little way.

Caleb's free nature required his short time outside each day, this brought him such joy and fulfillment. He would bask in the sunlight or find a little shady spot to keep watch over his yard over which he was quite territorial. Caleb rarely used a door. When he was ready to go out, he got in the bathroom or kitchen window to indicate his wishes, and when he was ready to come back in, up would pop Caleb back in the window. He was spoiled rotten and would agree to eat his meal only if you held his bowl for him while he ate. He was such a sweetheart.

On his daily stroll last evening, Caleb was hit by a car and has gone to Heaven. I love him so much. When inside, he enjoyed being in a room away from the other kitties, and I'm so thankful for the most recent time we were together when I laid on the bed with him just holding him. Receiving this call last night, I could tell by the tone that something was horribly wrong, desperately hoping let it be someone else. Not Caleb. But he is gone. Gone. I can't wrap myself around this, the permanence of death.

How I wish I could take this back, just to be there to have him in, he would be safe now. I forgot how it felt to hurt this deeply and can hardly breathe under this weight. Sierra is such a precious comfort, having not broken physical contact since the tragedy. With Sierra and Serenity here at my side, I realize in relative terms I should be thankful. My sweet babies are my heart.

Please honor Caleb with us.

Here is my little boy in his favorite spot, Caleb's coffee maker.

Half asleep

Nap time

Beautiful boy

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!!! Stephanie, I'm so sorry for your loss! What a terrible loss of such a beautiful boy. Prayers going out for you and your family, and for little Caleb at the bridge!

I have to say, though, that it was "laughter through the tears" seeing those pictures of Caleb on the coffee maker!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

Those are such precious pictures of him that you posted, remember the happy times!

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stephanie I am so sorry that your beautiful, handsome Caleb has gone. He has such a special place in your heart and you will always have had a special place in his.

He looked to be such a wonderful, gentle soul from the photographs
. The time we have with our kitties is just too short.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about Caleb. He was such a gorgeous boy and looks like quite a character. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Caleb is now watching over you with so much love. RIP sweet boy.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stephanie

I have tried writing this a few times because I feel like nothing I can say will help to ease the pain you're feeling

Caleb was such a blessing in your life, as well as your Dad's. I know how much you enjoyed your trips home so you could be with him. I think he was one of the luckiest kitties in the world to have experienced the love he received from both of you. Stephanie, you have the biggest heart of anyone I know, and even though little Caleb's life was taken so suddenly and much too soon, he experienced more love in those 5 years than some receive in a lifetime.
I know how much you wish you could change this and how much you want to hold Caleb, but remember that he is there with you right now. He holds a very special place in your heart and he always will.
Enjoy your snuggles from the girls, and cry as much as you would like. It will take time, but the pain will ease up. You know how to reach me, and I am right here if you need me.
I know that little Caleb is playing up in heaven right now safe and sound. I bet that there was even a special little window just for him to crawl through to get inside

RIP sweet little Caleb

I love you, Stuffy!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stephanie, anyone who reads your beautiful tribute will know how much he was loved, and just how special Caleb is to you and to your father. He's a special soul, who loved as deeply as he was loved. I'm not sure how angels can split their time between two people, but I'm sure he is doing just that at the Bridge.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had to say Caleb is such a beautiful, beautiful Bibilical name.

My husband's golden retriver was named Caleb. He was the best dog ever. He died last April at age 16.

In many ways, your cat is very much like our golden retriver.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww the poor little guy. He is so sweet. I am so sorry, I know how you feel, but at least now he's in a better place and feels no pain or suffering.

R.I.P Little one

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely tribute, Stephanie -- so full of the love shared amongst you three -- and, yes, laughter through the tears at those wonderful pics! What a sweetie was your boy. My heart is with you.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about Caleb. Your story about him touched my heart. RIP little one...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh No! I'm so sorry Stephanie! I'm crying here sitting at my desk (at work), thank goodness I'm alone! Poor Caleb! He looks almost identical to a semi-ferral cat we have in my neighborhood!

Rest now little sweetheart Caleb!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sweet Caleb
You've left a lot of broken hearts here on earth, and it goes without saying how much you were loved and how much your going to be missed

Watch over everyone and keep them safe until you see them again, so run quickly over Rainbow Bridge sweetie because your new friends are waiting to meet you

Have fun Caleb!

Caleb

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie, I am so very sorry, for you and for your father. Caleb, though, I know will be waiting for you both...and knows he might never have had his wonderful though too short life, if not for your caring and your love, and the love he received from your father.

I really never know what to say...I know the ache, the empty feeling, it's still so fresh for me. Just sending hugs.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Stephanie, I am so sorry! ***hugs***
He is beautiful!
I know that your girls are a great comfort to you at this time. My prayers are with you.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steph ,my sweet friend, I know how much that sweet baby meant to you .....so I was devastated to read this today. {{{hugs}}}} for you ...cuddles for your girls......and my prayers are with you and your family.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Caleb

You live on in our hearts sweet darling.
RIP little angel.