Originally Posted by AbbysMom
According to the TV news this morning, his lawyer is comparing the operation to a liver transplant. He feels it is just as medically necessary as the transplant. I certainly don't want my tax dollars paying for this.
I'll be the devil's advocate here. Essentially, Gender Identity Disorder is a medical condition. Its listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and has five criteria that must be met before a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder (302.85) can be given: 
1. There must be evidence of a strong and persistent cross-gender identification.
2. This cross-gender identification must not merely be a desire for any perceived cultural advantages of being the other sex.
3. There must also be evidence of persistent discomfort about one's assigned sex or a sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex.
4. The individual must not have a concurrent physical intersex condition (e.g., androgen insensitivity syndrome or congenital adrenal hyperplasia).
5. There must be evidence of clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
However, I don't know if I agree with the state paying for it if he is incarcerated.
I would have to think about it..