New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need advice...

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hello, I need some advice regarding a possibly stray cat... Last night a cat came to our window and while I opened it to water my plants she jumped into our apartment. She is very friendly and seemed well fed so we let her roam in the apartment for awhile and let her out again. She stuck around the window for awhile after that meowing to be let in, and I think during the night she left. But now, it is morning, and she is back at the window again meowing! I don't know what to do. The meowing is continuing as I write this... She also has a collar around her neck which makes me believe that she has a home, and she is so fat. I didn't feed her anything, was it a mistake for me to let her in the house? What can I do to help this poor cat? Any advice would be appreciated...
post #2 of 16
Sounds like she got lost. You could keep her and post a flyer in your area describing everything but the collar to try and find her owner.

Have yall lived there long? Maybe she used to live there and thought she was coming home.

Poor little kitty.......I would feed her. I wouldn't be able to help myself. At least give her water.

Jenn
post #3 of 16
Write her up on all the message-boards in the neighoorhood as found. If possible, put also a little message-conteiner on the cats` collar with your phone number and ask the owner to phone you...


If you are sure she HAS a home a way may be to scare her away.
But she may have get lost, or is just abandoned. In this case you must help her of course.

The trick is write her up, seek after owner. If there IS a caring owner - THEN considerate to frighten her away...
If you cant find owner - help her, preferably be writing her up as seeking home (if you dont want her yourselv).

Good luck!
post #4 of 16
You can place ads on places like Petfinder and Pets 911. Most Petsmarts and Petcos have a board for posting lost pets. Call the local animal control or humane society/aspca to see if anyone has reported a missing cat. Post some flyers.

THe other possibility is that she's just an indoor/outdoor cat. You might do well to knock on your neighbor's doors and ask them if the cat is theirs. Maybe advise them of all of the dangers of letting a cat outdoors...especially in Brooklyn!

I also live in one of the big cities. I've found that around here, like 90% of the cats that are outsde, are there by accident. Most people are aware that cats that are let outside quickly perish. That's what I would worry about with this kitty.
post #5 of 16
My advice would be to put something on her saying owner please contact my on keep letting her in but don't feed her. If the owner hasn't got back to you in 5 days then put up lost posters
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
thanks so much for all your advices. i just put a note on the cat's collar, asking the owner to call me. i tried to give her some water too, but she doesn't seem to be too thirsty. she's quite comfortable in our apartment, but i will let her out again shortly... i will keep you posted. thank you so much!
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
the cat's owner just called me. she lives on the same block - she said the cat is well loved and looked after. i'm glad the cat was not lost. (although i did get a little attached to her...) thank you for your advices!
post #8 of 16
Well, that's good to know! I'm glad she called you to put your mind at ease. It sounds like this kitty has it in his head to make your home his "second home".
post #9 of 16
Sounds like neighbor kitty enjoys your companionship!
post #10 of 16
That's too funny, the cat was trying to scheme a second meal out of you
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
after i talked to the owner, i feel as though the kitty has been locked up in the house. she visited us earlier that day of the phone call, but for two days now, no sign of her! i miss her! i was hoping to have a part-time pet!
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami
after i talked to the owner, i feel as though the kitty has been locked up in the house. she visited us earlier that day of the phone call, but for two days now, no sign of her! i miss her! i was hoping to have a part-time pet!
Well..you could always have a full time pet...LOTS of great cats looking for homes. Also, it is probably best that the owner keep the cat indoors...especially given all the bad things that can happen when a cat is indoors/outdoors.

Katie
post #13 of 16
This is kitten season. Most shelters are running an "adopt one, get one free" special.

Save some black kittens!!! I don't know about your area but around here they almost always get euthanized.

It is funny because in Chinese culture black cats bring poverty. I didn't even like them last year. Now I am addicted to my three black furbabies and one tuxedo (I have five cats in total).
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
This is kitten season. Most shelters are running an "adopt one, get one free" special.

Save some black kittens!!! I don't know about your area but around here they almost always get euthanized.
Intelligent! Making two at one stroke!: a) cats usually prefer to be two. It is a nice precaution the ex-homeless will love his new home if shehe has a cat-friend.
b) they are freeing space in the shelter, getting two cats home to the price of one!


Yes, that with black cats is sorrowful. Especielly as many of these are beautiful, looking like a black panther. But they arent so popular, perhaps because of the old superstitions with black cat going acros your path...
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanZ
Yes, that with black cats is sorrowful. Especielly as many of these are beautiful, looking like a black panther. But they arent so popular, perhaps because of the old superstitions with black cat going acros your path...
Actually I had several friends who work at cat rescues who told me that the biggest reason black cats are not adopted is because people simply don't see them!!! Most cages are black, and most shelters have poor lighting.

Several of the no-kill rescues around here have refused to take black cats altogether because in average they take about 9 months to be adopted, by then the kittens have already grown into adults and they have behavioral problems from being caged so long.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Actually I had several friends who work at cat rescues who told me that the biggest reason black cats are not adopted is because people simply don't see them!!! Most cages are black, and most shelters have poor lighting.

Several of the no-kill rescues around here have refused to take black cats altogether because in average they take about 9 months to be adopted, by then the kittens have already grown into adults and they have behavioral problems from being caged so long.
Which is why it is sooo critical to reduce the numbers through spaying/neutering so that these kittens have a chance to find homes.

Katie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals