TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Blood in stool and weird white stuff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blood in stool and weird white stuff

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
hi all
as some of you may know I am in "mothermode" right now hand raising 3 two and a half week old kittens ( there was 4 but Dolly died of dehydration-maybe) any ways the other three are all doing great but today as i was stimulating Lester i noticed that there was a little blood in his stool! i then continued to do the same for Lucky and Maddie and they both had a little in there stool aswell! i took a stool sample in to work from each of them and got one of the girls to do a fecal but she said that it was all negative. ( no worms- thats good)
what could it be that they would have blood? and sometimes when i stimulate Lucky he first has this little whiteish sticky stuff that comes out first (two drops) and then pee. what is that?

any thought would be nice
thanks
--tink--
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1314
hi all
as some of you may know I am in "mothermode" right now hand raising 3 two and a half week old kittens ( there was 4 but Dolly died of dehydration-maybe) any ways the other three are all doing great but today as i was stimulating Lester i noticed that there was a little blood in his stool! i then continued to do the same for Lucky and Maddie and they both had a little in there stool aswell! i took a stool sample in to work from each of them and got one of the girls to do a fecal but she said that it was all negative. ( no worms- thats good)
what could it be that they would have blood? and sometimes when i stimulate Lucky he first has this little whiteish sticky stuff that comes out first (two drops) and then pee. what is that?

any thought would be nice
thanks
--tink--
Tink...what does your vet think it is?

Katie
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
UPDATE:no more noticed blood in stool and weird white stuff gone so far.

thanks katie for replying

she thinks that it might be cocsitiea (sp) i think. but they are too little right now to draw blood from yet.
but what else is there that i shold worrie about?
post #4 of 14
My last litter had yellowish diarrhea, and blood in there stool. I took a sample in, which was negative for worms and coccidia. About 2 days later i took in another sample-they had severe roundworms and tapeworms.

So if it happens again, take another sample in. Sometimes I think it takes a while for the worms to shed in their stool. They never drew blood on my kids for coccidia...I thought it was diagnosed by a poo sample!?!
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
hey well the vet tech that did the fecal said that there wasn't much poo (so little) but from what was there she could find no worms or anything. I asked what about the blood though and she said that it might be coccida then.

what would the treatment for coccida be then? and is tapeworms and the rest easy to get rid of? use strongid T or what? sorry for all teh questions. also how hold should the kittens be to get revolution?

thanks everyone
--tink--
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1314
hey well the vet tech that did the fecal said that there wasn't much poo (so little) but from what was there she could find no worms or anything. I asked what about the blood though and she said that it might be coccida then.

what would the treatment for coccida be then? and is tapeworms and the rest easy to get rid of? use strongid T or what? sorry for all teh questions. also how hold should the kittens be to get revolution?

thanks everyone
--tink--
Strongid gets rid of roundworms, you treat weekly for 4 weeks, starting when the kittens are 4-5 weeks old. The vet can give you exact doses...I think it is 0.1cc per kitten.
Drontal takes care of the tapeworms and roundworms, but they have to weigh a pound before they can be given Drontal. I'm not sure about revolution. And I think coccidia is treated with oral medications...if you do a search in the health forum, you will find threads about coccidia.

My litter had blood from worms...no coccidia. If you get blood again, take another stool sample in.
post #7 of 14
coccidia

how do you pronounce that?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
coccidia

how do you pronounce that?
****-sid-ea (long "e" short "a" sound

Oops it ** me out it thinks I was being dirty saying a nauty word. it's the other word for tilt your head or to caulk it it won't let me put the other word slang for male privates. (I wasn't meaning that but that's what it took it for I guess)I hope that's exceptable and you know how it's pronounced
post #9 of 14
ooooooooooooo I think I got it oooooooooooooooo
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Strongid gets rid of roundworms, you treat weekly for 4 weeks, starting when the kittens are 4-5 weeks old. The vet can give you exact doses...I think it is 0.1cc per kitten.
Drontal takes care of the tapeworms and roundworms, but they have to weigh a pound before they can be given Drontal. I'm not sure about revolution. And I think coccidia is treated with oral medications...if you do a search in the health forum, you will find threads about coccidia.

My litter had blood from worms...no coccidia. If you get blood again, take another stool sample in.
Hi Becki,

The dosage is actually .1cc per pound, for Strongid-T, Nemex, or Pyrantel Pamoate (all the same thing)
There are a few things that will treat Coccidian bacteria, Albon, being the one I know most about. There are other stronger medicines, but they all work the same by stopping production of bacteria, and allowing the kittens own immune system begin to kill the bacteria.
Coccidia can be hard to find in fecal exams, so a negative result, may not mean that it is a true negative, the could also have another bacterial imbalance that Albon can treat as well. Giardia is also sometimes hard to find on fecal exams, the cysts are very tiny.
Any type of parasite or bacteria can cause severe dehydration very quickly. A kitten can go from playing and pouncing one minute and 6 hours later becoming lethargic and weak from severe dehydration.
A white colored stool usually indicates a severe bacterial imbalance/ infection in the bowel.
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
okay well they was no white stool but this white cremy colored pee, i think. it would only be a very drops at first and then he would pee normaly again. it hasn't happened in a while though, so i don't think that it was anything important.
how else can you detect coccida? through a blood test? also it the kittens don't weigh a pound yet can they still be givin strongid-T?
post #12 of 14
My vet allowed me to give 0.1cc to the kittens once they were 4 weeks old. Each vet is a little different. My vet says Strongid is very safe, even for kittens. However, the Drontal (for tapeworms) had to wait until they weighed a pound.

Please get your vets opinion. I believe some people routinely worm starting at 4 weeks, but only under a vets supervision.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
okay thanks for that beckiboo. i will do that. what all does Strongid T gt rid off?
post #14 of 14
Strongid gets rid of roundworms. Here is a link explaining why you need several wormings to get rid of them.
http://marvistavet.com/html/roundwor...__kittens.html

You will need to get the Strongid from your vet. The strongid you can purchase at the animal stores is for horses, and is a totally different concentration, way too strong for small animals!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › Blood in stool and weird white stuff