TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › In bit of a dilemma.....kitten vac questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In bit of a dilemma.....kitten vac questions

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
As I've posted on this thread, the 5 kittens are being treated for Giardia by my local vet.

1 kitten has already been vaccinated as she is older than the others. The other 4 are due for vaccination this week.

My vet wants £53 per kitten to vaccinate them.

I have found another vet that will fully vaccinate them for £25 each.

1) Do you think its ok to get the vacs done at the cheaper place? Or should I stick to the one vet?

2) I was just going to be upfront with my vet and say that somehwere else does the vacs cheaper but I still want him to treat them for the Giardia....what do you think? Vets don't like it when they lose business right?
post #2 of 16
true but to me it is what you chooose they should be happy that you car enough to get them vaccinated. A lot of people see no reason to just because they are cats...
post #3 of 16
If it's the exact same vax I would go with the cheaper one. Perhaps your vet would be willing to work something out once you mention you will be going elsewhere.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hubby is the upfront one...I'll let him 'inform' the vet that we're going for the cheaper option. I know hubby will push for the cheaper option lol.

Plus with the new vet, they get a free healthcheck...the more healthchecks, the better? Right?

I'll just be upfront with everyone about their treatment so far.

I have a feeling that my current vet is not going to be happy when he knows he's not getting the vaccination business. He's been charging us 1 consultation fee for all 5 kittens, instead of 5 individual fees. I know they need to make a living but what ever happened to getting a good deal? And plus, I have 5 kittens, not 1. And its giardia...possibly long-term treatment required....

If anyone thinks this is not in the best interest of the kittens, let me know!
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
I tried to negotiate a better deal with my vet and its £53 per kitten. Standard fee.

I think I'll phone the new vet this morning and explain everything.
post #6 of 16
good idea i back u up
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Sorry - another follow on post...

Missymotus you mentioned if its the exact same vax, go for the cheaper one.

I thought kittens vaccinations were essentially all the same as long as they covered the same illnesses.....its for feline enteritis, cat flu and feline leukaemia - the 3 standard illnesses vets vaccinate against over here in the UK.

However, my current vet was saying that his vaccinations are to be given at 8 and 12 weeks, as opposed to the standard 9 and 12 weeks.

I don't know if:

1) his vaccinations are different/better?
2) he was just trying to get me to vaccinate all the kittens by him before they are 9 weeks so he could get our business. He's a nice guy and does seem to care for the kittens. He is doing a great caring job with the giardia treatment...but I can't tell if he's just out for our business or not.

I just want to do right by the kittens.
post #8 of 16
8 and 12, 9 and 12 doesn't make much difference. You just have to make sure it's not longer than a month between.
post #9 of 16
I figured the same thing also...
post #10 of 16
Make sure whatever option you choose that the vet knows the background. Here, my vet won't vaccinate an animal that is on meds or sick, as he says they need to build up their resistance first.
post #11 of 16
i was under the impression taht 53 pounds was the standard amount for cat vaccs. certainly it has been for the past few years, and i paid it last summer for each of my 3 cats.
are you sure the vet nurse at the other practice has not confused you with the method of paying for the first part on the first visit and the second part on the secnd visit. thsi woudl make it around 25 pounds per time.

some vets ask for the full 53 pounds at the first injection. my vet wanted 25 for the 1st vaccs then 25 the second time i went.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
No - its a special offer they are doing during the month of May only...£25 for kitten vacs
post #13 of 16
So it's decided then? At the end of the day it's more important that they are all vaxed than worrying that your vet is going to be mad at loosing business.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi missymotus Yes, I spoke to the new vet today and explained everything.

They advised that we give it another week befroe we vaccinate the remaining 4 kittens. They said to continue treatment with my current vet for the giardia for now (or if I wanted, come to them at any time and they will review the kittens). On May 31, all 5 are booked in with the new vet for a free health check up and then the unvaccinated 4 will be vaccinated if the vet thinks they are healthy enough.
post #15 of 16
I would go for the "special" as long as you know you are comparing apples to apples . One of my friend's insurance didn't pay for her CHILDREN'S vaccinations, and her doctor sent her to the free "tot shots" they have travelling clinics for- he told her there was no reason for her to pay him for shots she could get for free! I would hope that your current vet is at least that understanding for your 5 kittens, if he can't match it!
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by minxie
Hi missymotus Yes, I spoke to the new vet today and explained everything.

They advised that we give it another week befroe we vaccinate the remaining 4 kittens. They said to continue treatment with my current vet for the giardia for now (or if I wanted, come to them at any time and they will review the kittens). On May 31, all 5 are booked in with the new vet for a free health check up and then the unvaccinated 4 will be vaccinated if the vet thinks they are healthy enough.
Great
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › In bit of a dilemma.....kitten vac questions