TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Please read this........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please read this........

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I am really torn right now guys and really need some vibes and prayers. As many of you know(I posted awhile back about Shermans teeth) he is not getting any better, in fact he seems to be getting worse! And I am going to be honest I cant afford to keep getting his weekly shots and I just dont see that they are working! He seems hungry all the time-and just sits on the counter(where he eats) and just watches me every time I walk by, like hes asking me to please feed him! It is so hard for me to think but I really feel like him being PTS is the only choice I have! I dont want anyone getting mad at me if this is what I decide-the decision is going to be extremely tough on me!!! I am just asking that you all please stnad by me and send me some vibes. Thats what I am going to need. BTW-if I do decide this, I will be sure and let ya know, and I wont be able to take him, it will probly have to be DH or my best friend. Thanks guys for listening!!
post #2 of 29
How old is Sherman?
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats
How old is Sherman?
He is 5 yrs old, oh and I forgot to mention its not really his teeth, but he has ulcers in his mouth in which makes it very hard for him to eat. And the vet said we could remove all his teeth, but that even then it may not solve the problem.
post #4 of 29
I'll move this over to the health forum for you incase someone can offer more advice.
post #5 of 29
He is very young and may have a good life ahead of him.
Many kitties live long healthy lives without teeth.
What is Sherman's diagnosis?
What is his current treatment?
post #6 of 29


Wouldn't it be best to exhaust all possibilities/treatments first?
post #7 of 29
I think I would try removing his teeth first, and go from there.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks
I am just asking that you all please stnad by me and send me some vibes. Thats what I am going to need. BTW-if I do decide this, I will be sure and let ya know, and I wont be able to take him, it will probly have to be DH or my best friend. Thanks guys for listening!!
I cannot just stand by and give you support to end Sherman's life without knowing why you would not consider the options that your vet has suggested before using the final solution...death.

Again I must ask....what is Sherman's diagnosis and what treatment has been tried.
Maybe members have had a similar experience with their kitties and will have some treatment ideas for you.

Yes...money can be a serious problem but so is death.
post #9 of 29
Can the vets not work out a payment plan with you at all?.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac
Can the vets not work out a payment plan with you at all?.
Good point! Or a charity who will aid with the payments if you are on a low income?

I would seriously exhaust every available treatment and possibly seek an appointment with a feline oral specialist! There are so many more treatments out there than there used to be!
post #11 of 29
http://www.imom.org/

If nothing else, perhaps there is a rescue organization who will work on placing Sherman into a home that can and will afford the vet treatment for him? It wouldn't be easier on you to give him up, but at least that solution isn't the end for him because of something he cannot control.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks
I am really torn right now guys and really need some vibes and prayers. As many of you know(I posted awhile back about Shermans teeth) he is not getting any better, in fact he seems to be getting worse! And I am going to be honest I cant afford to keep getting his weekly shots and I just dont see that they are working! He seems hungry all the time-and just sits on the counter(where he eats) and just watches me every time I walk by, like hes asking me to please feed him! It is so hard for me to think but I really feel like him being PTS is the only choice I have! I dont want anyone getting mad at me if this is what I decide-the decision is going to be extremely tough on me!!! I am just asking that you all please stnad by me and send me some vibes. Thats what I am going to need. BTW-if I do decide this, I will be sure and let ya know, and I wont be able to take him, it will probly have to be DH or my best friend. Thanks guys for listening!!
I would say he has stomatitis and before you put him down there is a group on yahoo groups about this. THEY helped me with Missy who had it.

You CAN give him pain meds but I would take a chance and get his teeth pulled and THEN give him oral steroids and pain meds. THEN if in a bit he is no better put him down. ONCE they are dead you cannot bring them back.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Stomatitis/
post #13 of 29
Before you get to where you are considering euthanizing Sherman anymore, please listen to Twitch's whole story.

Twitch was 9 months old when she was first diagnosed with a dental disease. The vet prescribed an antibiotics & told me to brush her teeth. Her gums bled furiosly when I tried to brush her teeth & she cried. We tried other antibiotics. The vet thought that her teeth would truly get better & then he could clean them. After about 2 years, I took her to another vet. She told me there is the possiblity that Twitch has mouth ulcers & that combined with her bad teeth, are making her life miserable. She said it was like trying to eat after having your wisdom teeth removed. So, I made the decision to have her teeth removed. The vet told me that if any could be saved, she would clean them. Not one single tooth was salvageable. A few weeks after her srugery, she quit eating again. There were mouth ulcers, just as the vet suspected. She was treated with 4 steroid shots & the ulcers went away.

The dental cost me $225 & the steroid shots cost me $75. Now I have my wonderful baby healthy, & happier than I have ever seen her. There has to be a vet who will let you work out a payment plan to pay for Sherman's vet bills. I don't think you need to be considering euthanizing him. He still has a good chance. Twitch has no teeth at all & is enjoying her life more than I have ever seen her.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thank you to all-you all have some very good points/suggestions. Im not saying for sure Im going to euthiunize him, Im just saying its so hard to look at him every day-hes just NOT the same cat he was back when. He just looks so sad and pathetic, and I hate it! Im sure if I were to decide to get his teeth pulled, the vet would work a payment method out with me-but she doesnt want to do that at this point, she is wanting to continue with the pain shots and steroids. I will try and talk to her some more and see about maybe doing some other tests to make sure that its nothing else, but really Im quite sure thats all thats wrong, you can tell his whole mouth hurts! And he has the most god awful breath too......
post #15 of 29
If this is any comfort to you at all, I once adopted a older Siamese who had been taken to the vet to be euthanised by her owner. Whitney had seriously bad gums, was in pain, suffering horribly and refused to eat - I offered to take her, pay for her treatments and care for her afterwards.

Whitney had a full-mouth extraction and steroid shots for the stomatitis. She was placed on a special wet-food only diet. She refused it so I began hand-feeding her warmed human baby food. I will never, ever forget the tears of joy I cried when she finally took some of the food from my fingers. She continued to do well and eventually she began to eat her special wet food diet. She lived for another several years and died of unrelated causes.

While I can completely understand and relate to your frustration, your cat is so young still and with treatment, can live a long and relatively healthy life. I would consider getting a second opinion from another vet who might be willing to be more aggressive in his treatment plan.
post #16 of 29
I, too, would strongly recommend getting a second opinion for Sherman and certainly wouldn't consider having him pts unless his quality of life is suffering after every possible option to treat his condition has been explored.
post #17 of 29
The vet I was seeing with Twitch wanted to continue with the antibiotics, even though things were clearly not getting better. If you feel that your vet won't do the surgery & you think it needs to be done, seek a second opinion.

Hopefully, Sherman will be healthy again soon! And I know what you mean about how awful it is to watch them. They aren't the same cat & you can tell they are hurting....yet you have such a big decision to make....
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
I got poor Sherman an appt tomorrow for his gums/teeth, and just wanted to let everyone know, so hes going to vet tomorrow(while I pick up Abby) I hope they can do something for him.........hes not even wanting to eat now, just wants lottsa loves, so thats what hes getting.
post #19 of 29
Good Luck Sherman and here is some love XOXOXOXOX
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz
Good Luck Sherman and here is some love XOXOXOXOX
He says THANK you!
post #21 of 29
Post a pic if you have one
post #22 of 29
Darling Sherman, we're so proud of you for being so strong and brave, and know you'll do great tomorrow! Please ask your Mommy to let us know what was learned at the appt. and how you're feeling tomorrow after the trip.!
post #23 of 29
Sending (((((mega vibes))))) for Sherman
post #24 of 29
I hope the appointment is informative!

Sending many }}}VIBES{{{ Sherman's way!
post #25 of 29
How is Sherman????
post #26 of 29
Sherman
post #27 of 29
katloverin_ks, I'm sending special vibes and prayers for you! You seem to be getting more than your share of emotionally taxing situations. Here's hoping lots of good things happen for you!

Lots of get well vibes for Sherman and Abby!
post #28 of 29
Harvey, Tailer, Forest, and I are sending big healing {{{{vibes}}}} your way...for both Sherman and you. I can imagine how difficult this is for you.
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for the hugs, prayers, vibes. Sherman got a test for leukemia and some other disease(cant 'member name now) but he tested negative, which is awesome, I was thinking maybe that was the underlying cause of the stomatitis, and its not! He did get another shot of anti inflamatory med and she wants to do another one next week and then if he doesnt seem to get any better, than she will probably opt for dental work! Maybe you guys can send out some more prayers for him and that the shots will help get rid of his stomatitis and he wont need dental work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Please read this........