Tuffy is bleeding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Tuffy was sitting on my chest because I layed down to take a nap and he moved and I felt something wet and look at the blanket and there is a streak of red blood on the blanket, so I look where he moved to and sure enough more blood. So I lift his tail and there is blood coming from his butt. Not running out but enough to make a drip now and then. He don't seem to be hurting or anything. Its fresh looking blood like if you cut your finger or something so I don't think its coming from to far into his insides.

What the heck could be going on??

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would locate an emergency vet and go right away.
When there is bleeding...I would not want to guess.
Better safe than sorry.

I am adding comments....
My answer to anything that I do not understand about my kitties health is to get to the vet right away.
If you cannot do that and the bleeding continues...I hope that you can get Tuffy checked out.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is a persistent dripping of fresh red blood, I'd get to a vet. If it's mixed with mucous, and you see this in his box also, and not dripping continuously, I might wait until Monday and get him (plus a stool sample) in to the vet.

But anything that is fresh bleeding and ongoing is to me a reason to get to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems to have stopped now, and he cleaned himself up so if I had not seen it happening I would never have known it. I have seen these blood streaks before on the blanket but never really thought much of it, but it makes sence now, I bet he has had this happening before. I don't think he is straining whan he goes, if anything he is close to loose the last time I saw him in the litter box, he eats Missy's soft food all the time and he gets loose from it I think.

I will watch him and if he don't bleed anymore I will try and wait till Monday morning and take him in, I am sure they will make time for him if I say what's happening. The place that covers for the vet is far away and major expensive.

EDIT,, Could worms or some other parasite be causing this? He has been treated for worms 2 times since I have had him.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what it could be but at the very least, I would call my vet on Monday and ask them...even if you do not see more blood.
If you do see more blood, I would consider that an emergency.
He should be seen right away.
I am sending positive healthy vibes to Tuffy.

Please keep us updated.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will be calling first thing Monday. He has been acting a little different lately so I wonder if he is not feeling right.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blood and mucous plus soft stools could indicate parasites like coccidia or giardia that are hard to diagnose without a full fecal exam. I would get to a vet and take a fresh sample with you.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I talked to the vet this morning and she wondered if he was straining [sp?] to go and was maybe bleeding from that. He has not bled that I have seen again since Saturday. She said to just watch him close and to call if it happens again. I asked if it could be worms or something like that and she didn't think it sounded like it, She said if he had worms again he probably would have diarea real bad with mucus and blood. Problem is with all these cats and 2 big litter boxes I can't tell whats happening with him unless I happen to catch him in there. I am almost positive he don't have diarea because I never see him in the litter box.

I was a little suprised she didn't want to check him over.

I am probably over reacting but I am affraid I am going to find him in a big puddle of blood almost dead like what happened to our little kitten 2 winters ago.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think that you were overreacting.
If I saw blood on one of my kitties bottoms...I would freak.
Keep a close eye on Tuffy.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just came in the house and I find blood on the bathroom floor and on the bathroom window sill, basicaly where ever Tuffy has been sitting. His back end is red from blood running down. So I guess he needs to be looked at again very soon.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please take Tuffy in immediately...
to an emergency clinic if your regular vet is closed.
Let us know what you find out.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He has stopped bleeding now. I will call the vet first thing in the morning.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tom, I must confess I'm concerned as to why this bleeding has been happening on and off since the 21st of May and you still haven't taken him to the vet. He really, really needs to be seen IMO.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Tom, I must confess I'm concerned as to why this bleeding has been happening on and off since the 21st of May and you still haven't taken him to the vet. He really, really needs to be seen IMO.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as I know this is the second time this has happend since I started this topic.I talked to the vet about it and she didn't seem to concerned, but if it happened again than she wanted to know about it so we can look him over. Since it happened again only worse this time I am sure she will want to check him. She thought maybe he was straining at going to the bathroom and stretched things out and made it bleed, but after tonite I think there is something else going on. He has been treated for worms/parasites 2 times before and I think he has them again.

He is so good at cleaning himself up after he stops bleeding I would never know it unless I saw it happening. He has even cleaned up all signs of the blood in the bathroom window and floor, I left the blood in there to show Yvonne when she got home how much he was bleeding but by the time she got home he had it all cleaned up. So if I had come in a hour later I never would have known he was bleeding again. I can never catch him in the litter box to watch what he is doing when he goes, and with all the other cats I can't tell unless I see him in there. I might have to put a litter box in the bedroom and close the door with only him in there to see what is going on.

I am not taking this lightly, I wanted him checked out when I started this topic. I have never had another cat that would bleed like this so I can't believe its nothing to worry about like the vet seemed to me to tell me the first time I asked about it.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will for sure, Poor Tuffy, it just never ends for him I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.