TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › can heat be put off
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

can heat be put off

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
i have had some one contact me and try as i might to persuede her to get kitty speyed she has reluctantly aggreed after she has one litter "" i know but its the best i can do " now the cat is only 10mnths old and seasoning every other week is there any thing i cqan get for her to put the season on hold she is to young to be having kittens
post #2 of 16
No, there's not. As you're aware, the best choice is to have her spayed promptly. The poor kitty must be miserable going into heat so frequently. Please do try to persuade your friend to have her cat spayed now by providing her with the numerous health advantages. Clearly, in addition to that, there are far, far too many homeless cats and kittens that were the result of an unplanned pregnancy. It's just in poor judgment and irresponsible for anyone who is not a professional breeder to intentionally allow their cat to become pregnant. If your friend is wanting to the experience of having kittens, please encourage her to foster a pregnant cat from her local shelter. This will give her the opportunity to enjoy this miracle while helping the precious cats who are in need as opposed to adding to the population. It will also help to ensure the health of her kitty!
post #3 of 16
Would your friend change her mind if you told her the risk of her getting pyometra (could be fatal) and mammary cancer (but that would be later in life) due to the regularity of heats if she waits to let this cat have kittens?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenuk
i have had some one contact me and try as i might to persuede her to get kitty speyed she has reluctantly aggreed after she has one litter "" i know but its the best i can do " now the cat is only 10mnths old and seasoning every other week is there any thing i cqan get for her to put the season on hold she is to young to be having kittens
Unfortunately there is no way to way to put off heat and when a female is "old enough" she can get pregnant, whether she is in heat or not. That is why it is so critical to have pets fixed as early as possible to prevent accidental matings as well as lessen the chance for cancer and pyrometra. Additionally, there is an overpopulation of pets right now. Dawn has provided a very good point which is...she could foster for a shelter or a rescue group a cat that has already become pregnant.

Katie
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
thankyou for your replys but beleive me i have tried and if i keep pushing her she will not get her speyed at im as angry as you lot as i have a house full of foster kittens and mums right now so i know all the down fall of not speying
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenuk
thankyou for your replys but beleive me i have tried and if i keep pushing her she will not get her speyed at im as angry as you lot as i have a house full of foster kittens and mums right now so i know all the down fall of not speying
I wouldn't "push" her...I would explain the situation. Show her information on pyometra:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/pyometra.html

If she is dead set on kittens...then you can be the advocate to ensure that she only has ONE litter. Explain how easily she can get pregnant again so she should be kept indoors only until spayed. Explain about proper follow up on the kittens homes and making sure they get spayed/neutered.

Katie
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Great News After The Woman Had Had To Put Up With The Cat In Season All Weekend Of Calling She Rang Me Yesterday Come Get The Cat And Get Her Speyed Im Over The Moon One Less Cat To Worry About
post #8 of 16
This is such terrific news and such a happy beginning for this little one! Good for you for offering information to this person to sway her decision!
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenuk
Great News After The Woman Had Had To Put Up With The Cat In Season All Weekend Of Calling She Rang Me Yesterday Come Get The Cat And Get Her Speyed Im Over The Moon One Less Cat To Worry About
Oh that is FABULOUS!! Remember to tell her that if she would like, she could always foster a pregnant mom from the shelter.

Katie
post #10 of 16
That is great news! I was going to suggest if she lives near you, invite her over to see how much work it is too care for a bunch of kittens. Like hold off on doing everything like litterbox and feeding and look all frantic for free time which you don't have because you are so busy caring for them.

If she is still really sad about not having kittens, maybe invite her over still and show her (exaggerate a bit) on how much time and work and money it is. Show her your shopping list with all the extra litter and special (expensive) kitten food you need to buy. Show her a calender made up on when all the kittens need all of their shots and the vet bills, and EVERYTHING.

I never understand when people have a female cat who they want to have one litter. Do they just one day go "ok you are in heat so you must be ready to have kittens, go out into the world and get pregnant now, bye see ya later, don't come back until you are pregnant"?

I mean common sense, don't they realize that the random male cats may be diseased? Just like people ya know? You go out and sleep with lots of random people and you just may end up with a disease!
post #11 of 16
WOOHOOO she is spayed..... A cat in heat is a terrable thing to go thru for some lol...
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra
No, there's not. As you're aware, the best choice is to have her spayed promptly. The poor kitty must be miserable going into heat so frequently.
Question--I'm wondering why going into heat is supposed to be so miserable for cats? I know my period is miserable for me, once a month; but it's no reason to have major surgery... Why is something that naturally happens to a female cat so annoying for her?

(Just playing devil's advocate--I agree with spaying because of the extra kittens it prevents; and the strain on momcats who have repeated litters. But I'm not sure about the "a cat in heat is miserable" thing... is it just because she wants to get out and can't, and yowls instead?)
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callista
Question--I'm wondering why going into heat is supposed to be so miserable for cats? I know my period is miserable for me, once a month; but it's no reason to have major surgery... Why is something that naturally happens to a female cat so annoying for her?

(Just playing devil's advocate--I agree with spaying because of the extra kittens it prevents; and the strain on momcats who have repeated litters. But I'm not sure about the "a cat in heat is miserable" thing... is it just because she wants to get out and can't, and yowls instead?)
The more heats a cat has the greater the chance of pyometra:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/pyometra.html

Also a cat that isn't spayed can develop cancers.

Katie
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
in this case she wouldnt eat was loseing wait i went and weighed her every day she was so distressed at not being able to mate i have to admit this is the worse i have seen a cat in season as bearing in mind i work for a rescue and all are cats are speyed when time is right i am only guessing but she must have felt like a very frustrated broody lady lol
post #15 of 16
I never noticed Skittles in heat so I take it she was induced by the male cat right... Does this mean she never had a heat and I might be ok when I fix her....
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
in this case she was very stressed as not eating and comeing in to strong heat every few days guess she felt like a very frustrated broody lady lol just one question i have her back here for a coupl of weeks how long will it take for her hormones to settle she was speyed yesterday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › can heat be put off