TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitty Stinks! Terrible Gas!! Help!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitty Stinks! Terrible Gas!! Help!!!

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
UGH! My Mama Kitty walks by us and passes the most god-awful smelling gas we have EVER smelled before!! She has never smelled like this before...it recently started two days after she got outside....?? But She used to be an outdoor cat,although we took her in when she was pregnant, and she had her 3 kittens March 29th 2006, and she hasn't been outside until two weeks ago...she got out for only three hours. Also, we did start feeding her the Whiskas Pouches((wet food)) alternating with IAMS kitten food((also wet food)). Otherwise, her diet is the same. I am at a loss....I have thought about taking her to the vet, but I don't want to sound crazy for taking my cat in there just because she has stinky farts!!!! Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!!!!
post #2 of 19
is she spayed? If not, she is likely pregnant again. If she isn't spayed, take her in to the vet and get that done. While she is there, talk to the vet about her diet, and also have him check her anal sacs.
post #3 of 19
I would be worried about worms too. Have you had her dewormed at the vets?
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
No..not spayed yet. She has been meowing NONSTOP and I believe she may be in heat again........she is begging to go outside. The meowing is continuous all day and thru the night...I was told before they cannot get spayed while in heat???? Aaaarrrggghhh.....the meowing is driving me insane!! Not to mention the stench!!!
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yes...dewormed before pregnancy.
post #6 of 19
Once she's spayed the yelling will stop, but i would certainly have a look at the food she's eating because that does play a big part in the smell
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Adorable pics!!! Here are a couple of ours..Kitty((the "stinker")) and her brood!! Thanks all for the advice!! Y'all are wonderful people!!!!
post #8 of 19
Oh my word their all gorgeous!
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thank you!! I love how the third born is a carbon copy of mama kitty. The two black ones were born first,one male((Bear)) the other female((Squeakers))...and after tiring of watching mama clean them we went to bed thinking she was done...but low and behold, the next morning...SURPRISE!!! The third little runt appeared and we named her Peppy Le Mew...because all she did was "mew mew mew mew mew" and Peppy was true to her nature!! She was the first one out of the "box" and zipping around the house!!!! She sure is "peppy"!!!!
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy_Le_Mew
No..not spayed yet. She has been meowing NONSTOP and I believe she may be in heat again........she is begging to go outside. The meowing is continuous all day and thru the night...I was told before they cannot get spayed while in heat???? Aaaarrrggghhh.....the meowing is driving me insane!! Not to mention the stench!!!
Below is a link to low cost clinics in PA, I would really suggest you set her up for her spay. If you enjoyed the birthing process, there are TONS of rescue groups who are always looking for people to foster pregnant cats.

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#pa

Let's make this Kitty's only litter.

Katie
post #11 of 19
What darling pics! When my kits had bad gas, I changed their diets and they were fine.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy_Le_Mew
No..not spayed yet. She has been meowing NONSTOP and I believe she may be in heat again........she is begging to go outside. The meowing is continuous all day and thru the night...I was told before they cannot get spayed while in heat???? Aaaarrrggghhh.....the meowing is driving me insane!! Not to mention the stench!!!
I hate to tell you she is in heat....
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Fostering pregnant cats...FASCINATING!!!! As for being in heat...yes..I had suspected as much...so as long as we "guard" the doors each time we open them, and not let her out, she won't be having another litter!!! I had told him to get her done after she had the kittens......but..well...men will be men!!! I was also reading that Whiskas seems to be one of the worst foods for our cats...sort of like Burger King and McDonalds is to us...??? Saving money on cat food is not really saving money if we have to put up with "stink" or possibly other complications that result in vet visits!!!!! But,again, try telling that to the "man who knows all"...LOL!!! Thank you all for everything!!! So sweet!!!
post #14 of 19
I use Nutro and Skittles does not stink and her box is great never stinky,
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy_Le_Mew
Fostering pregnant cats...FASCINATING!!!! As for being in heat...yes..I had suspected as much...so as long as we "guard" the doors each time we open them, and not let her out, she won't be having another litter!!! I had told him to get her done after she had the kittens......but..well...men will be men!!! I was also reading that Whiskas seems to be one of the worst foods for our cats...sort of like Burger King and McDonalds is to us...??? Saving money on cat food is not really saving money if we have to put up with "stink" or possibly other complications that result in vet visits!!!!! But,again, try telling that to the "man who knows all"...LOL!!! Thank you all for everything!!! So sweet!!!
It's actually better to get her spayed....cats in heat have been known to go to great lengths to get back outside and the best way to avoid another pregnancy is to have her spayed.

Katie
post #16 of 19
Iams usually doesn't produce a smell in elimination - so it might be the Whiskas stuff - try eliminating that. And it might be from being in heat (tho my cats seemed ok and didn't smell much stronger - pee might, but the cat didn't.
post #17 of 19
It could be the food you're feeding her. My Sphynx boy will often get us with a drive by especially when he eats the turkey flavored cat food we give him (also a wet food). Apparently, according to the breeder, they're naturally farty anyways

Jennie
post #18 of 19
Baby had the worst smelling gas, worse than my husbands big dogs. It would clear the entire room, and her kitten Dimp did too. I wormed them, still stinky. I was feeding them regular grocery store food. I have a friend who went to some kind of class and said that I was feeding my babies garbage and she and I did a research and found the best food that I could afford with the most meat and the least corn and fillers. Since I put these guys on this better food she rarely passes any gas and when she does it isn't nearly as bad. I also don't feed them soft food on any kind of regular basis. I never did think it was good for them, and they don't really like it. I may give them a can of tuna or mackerel once in a while.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy jo
Baby had the worst smelling gas, worse than my husbands big dogs. It would clear the entire room, and her kitten Dimp did too. I wormed them, still stinky. I was feeding them regular grocery store food. I have a friend who went to some kind of class and said that I was feeding my babies garbage and she and I did a research and found the best food that I could afford with the most meat and the least corn and fillers. Since I put these guys on this better food she rarely passes any gas and when she does it isn't nearly as bad. I also don't feed them soft food on any kind of regular basis. I never did think it was good for them, and they don't really like it. I may give them a can of tuna or mackerel once in a while.
Wet food is actually much better for your kitties than dry. Also do not give too much canned human tuna and then only that packed in water.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Kitty Stinks! Terrible Gas!! Help!!!