Benadryl for cats?

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, This is my first post. I adopted my cat Abby about four and a half months ago from my local no-kill shelter. I took her in to the vet about a month ago because I thought she had ear mites. It turned out she didn't but the vet said she probably has allergies. Well now she is still digging at her ears occasionally and you can just barely see her third eyelids (not much just a little bit in the corners) so I called the vet and they recommended Benadryl (1ml once or twice a day). I thought I had read on here not to give cats Benadryl so I wanted to check before I give her any human medicine.

I admit that I am a paranoid Meowmy since I haven't owned a cat in a very long time, as she's been to the vets twice since I got her
. Plus it's a little embarrassing since I have an Animal Science degree -- but it's been a looong time since I graduated and I'm no longer in the field.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I certainly would talk to the vet before giving your cat ANY medicine, especially human medicine. Even if theoretically it is safe you would need to detmerine an appropriate dosage. Call your vet and ask.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

I certainly would talk to the vet before giving your cat ANY medicine, especially human medicine. Even if theoretically it is safe you would need to detmerine an appropriate dosage. Call your vet and ask.
I read her post as being that the vet IS the one that suggested the Benedryl.

I personally would recommend getting a second opinion before giving human medicine.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

Original poster wrote "I called the vet and they recommended Benadryl (1ml once or twice a day).".

I'm guessing that meant that benadryl is safe for cats.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abacat

Hello, This is my first post. I adopted my cat Abby about four and a half months ago from my local no-kill shelter. I took her in to the vet about a month ago because I thought she had ear mites. It turned out she didn't but the vet said she probably has allergies. Well now she is still digging at her ears occasionally and you can just barely see her third eyelids (not much just a little bit in the corners) so I called the vet and they recommended Benadryl (1ml once or twice a day). I thought I had read on here not to give cats Benadryl so I wanted to check before I give her any human medicine.

I admit that I am a paranoid Meowmy since I haven't owned a cat in a very long time, as she's been to the vets twice since I got her
. Plus it's a little embarrassing since I have an Animal Science degree -- but it's been a looong time since I graduated and I'm no longer in the field.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
How sweet are you?!?! Abby is so lucky to have found you! It's wonderful to hear someone else who has previously owned cats is a little paranoid over there new addition (I've been feeling the same way!). And who knew a vet would suggest Benadryl? I've never heard of that either! Maybe call another vet or two in your area, and ask one of the vet techs or assistants to check with their vets. I'm sure they would, just tell them you've already seen another vet, but wanted to double check.

Good Luck with Abby!!!! Keep us posted!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Benadryl can be used in dogs and cats ... I dont like to use it since I feel it drugs the animal to much.///

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog Little Man gets Benedryl almost every day when the pollen is bad in summer. It helps his itching and it doesn't make him drowsy at all. Different people and animals respond to Benedryl differently. For instance, I can't take anything with psuedophedrine in it. Doesn't work on my symptoms, and it messes with my head. But I can take Benedryl. It clears my symptoms, and it leaves my head clear. If your vet said to give it to him, I would go ahead and give it a try. And if you don't like it, find something else to give him.

Amber

gunthermoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat PB has allergies as well...

My Vet suggested the following dosage...
1 mg of Diphenhydramine HCL per pound of body weight..

Liquid is 12.5 mg .. pills are 25mg

oddrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just at the vets and she also recommended Benedryl for my cat - I was just checking online to see if this was typical or not and apparently more vets recommend it for cats as well as dogs.

smalecd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was also just at the vets today and was told I could use children's benedryl (either pill or liquid) to calm my cat for an upcoming plane trip. She said either 1/2 pill or 1 teaspoon liquid. Has anyone used it for this use? And if so, what dose did you use? What weight was the cat?

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have given my pets benadryl for allergies on vet advice many times. I like it best for the 'wet' type allergies-ie runny eyes, sniffles. It helps dry them up. I never had much luck with it for 'itchy' allergies though. Just make sure you offer plenty of water.
I'd ask your vet how much to give. Dosage is tricky with all animals-and often females have a higher body fat ratio which makes them more resistant to many medications-the dose that may be fine for a 7 pound male composed of mostly muscle may not be effective for the same weight female who genetically carries more fat, even when she's in good shape.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lily seems to have a bit of hay fever - not bad, but her little nose gets stuffy and you can here it when she breathes hard. The vet recommended liquid baby benadryl if felt it needed to be treated. She suggested a very small does, like 1cc. I haven't tried it as things seem a little better now that we've passed the high polin season, especially since Lily doesn't like to be held so I can't imagine she would put up with taking medicine very welll (she's my sweet little Bengal girl - loves petting and is very social, but turns into a little squirmer if you try to contain her!)

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused. I need a decongestant for my Buddy, but all they offer is antibiotic for sinus infection. I'm nearly certain that Bud simply has the same old hay-fever type allergies I have - headache, stuffy head, snotty throat, etc. The vet said they only use Benadryl on dogs.
I don't think he needs anti-biotics, but I suppose he may if this gets worse. I know this sounds strange, but I think I may give him a sponge bath. I read that most times cats are affected by pollens by itching and stuff. He doesn't have this, but I figure it's worth a try. He hasn't been grooming very well anyway...

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, Diphenhydramine is NOT recommended for cats. Clorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton) however, IS.

PLEASE be careful using human meds in cats. They lack an enzyme involved in drug metabolism! (Bless em, it's why they are NOT used much in pharmaceutical research!
).

I do not remember the dosage of chlorpheniramine in cats ... but you should be checking with your vet, anyhow!

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, Diphenhydramine is NOT recommended for cats. Clorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton) however, IS.

PLEASE be careful using human meds in cats. They lack an enzyme involved in drug metabolism! (Bless em, it's why they are NOT used much in pharmaceutical research!
).

I do not remember the dosage of chlorpheniramine in cats ... but you should be checking with your vet, anyhow!
I read that about Clorpheniramine also... but I couldn't get the vet (or his assistant) to acknowledge it. If symptoms continue for Buddy I will ask again. There must be a difference between having allergies/cold and having a sinus infection... but I'm not a vet

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave Fred Benedryl once, and he ran around like he was on fire, screaming, rolling around on the floor. It was terrifying. Maybe he just hae a bad reaction, but I will never give it again. Mine like Vick's-Vap-O-Rub for stuffy noses. They sniff it and act like it is catnip, and if they lick it off, it won't hurt them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People, people, people, do NOT give your animals human medication except under and directly with vet's advice and even then don't just take his/her word as gospel. Question, question, question!

Vicks is NOT a good thing to give to cats either.

Some folks have been lucky in that they've done these things and nothing happened. But if you follow that advice and something does happen to your kittie or it has a severe reaction to whatever you've given it, how are you going to feel? Nobody here is a vet so we are NOT qualified to give out medical advice. If you follow medical advice given out here you are fully responsible for the consequences.

alcool9999

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You must check before any medicine is given so just check with your vet and if he says it is fine then it should be fine. if the promblem gets worse and the third eyelids come over more then the medicine oviously isnt working so then something has to be done

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who was attracted to the odor of Vick's.

IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE LABEL, NOT FOR INTERNAL USE. I had to keep it away from him. Sorry for screaming, and it IS fine print. But just because something is an old, tried-and-true, over-the counter med, does not mean it is harmless.

My husband had an aunt who gave cats aspirin when they (yes plural -- the ignoramus) got hit by cars. She said they slept (ie coma) for a couple days, then got better. Aspirin is terribly toxic to cats.