TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Advice about my baby
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice about my baby

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
First of all, I am so happy to have been guided to this site. I love my cats, its about time I found a good cat lovers forum! Very happy to be here...

Ok, my Trixter (10 year old Male, American Shorthair mix)has a pretty long medical history, though he has never been diagnosed with any diseases. I trust my vet and I feel he would tell me if he thought tests were needed. My Trixter has gone outside since he was about 2 years old. He is fixed, but he has had a lot of fights in his day. He has been on antibiotcis quite a few times for abcesses due to fighting and hunting. I have a really hard time keeping him in, because it is in his nature to go out and hunt and roll in the dirt, etc. He will cry at the door all hours if I don't let him out.I do not let him out at night or early in the morning, and he stays in when no one is home.Trixter had always been a "fat cat". He was overweight most of his life, but he is generally a big boy (when i got him, the woman told me his father was a "huge wild cat" from the hills behind her. I saw his mother and she was quite small), his bones are pretty big, and his head and teeth are very large.

Last August, trixter got into a fight and got an abcess. We were all very broke and couldnt afford to take him in. I am not making an excuse, I knwo he is my responsibility, but we honestly were REALLY struggling when his happened and were all waiting on money). I figured I could treat the abcess myself and he would be ok. I was wrong. Trixter got even more sick, despite me treating the abcess the best I could. He ended up getting constipated (which could also be helped along by the fact that he has had a hip injury when he was hit by a car years ago, which can close the colon off some, making them mre suseptible to constipation)and that was when i flipped out and called my vet, begging him to help my Trixter without payment until I could get the money. Luckily, my vet is a very compassionate person and he was willing to help out my Trixter. he had to give him two enemas, fluid therapy i.v, some antibiotic injections and also sent me home with some liquid antibiotics).

After all of this, we decided it would be a good idea to switch his food to the Friskys with the little milk bits, as it supposedly aids in digestion.

Trixter has seemed to be feelling great (aside from his gopher incident a couple months ago, but the bite was treated with MORE antibiotics and yes, he has all of his shots. ), but I am concerned because he has lost so much weight (The vet said his weight was fine when i brought him in a couple months ago) since the constipation last august, and he is drinking SO much water, and eating like a complete pig. His manners seem to have gone out the window. He will climb practically in your plate lately, and begs for food anytime someone goes in the kitchen. He is peeing a lot, and pooping regularly. He is also very active. He goes outside, as usual, and hunts and plays and still runs REALLY fast. He seems to feel like a kitten again. We feed our cats canned tuna at least once a day (only about one and a half tablespoons each), and then they have their dry food and fresh water (of course) 24/7. I am wondering if the change in him came about from the "clean out" and the food change, or if its possible for this to be a problem even though he seems to feel great? I love my bubbuh so much and if need be, I will do some more vet begging, as I am having a really hard time again now and graduating college this month.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it very very much. Thanks for listening.

Concerned Momma,
~Bobbi~
post #2 of 16
I would stronglyl recommend a vet visit if you can work it out. I'm not a vet, and can't say for sure, but the symptoms sound to me like what my cat went through when he developed diabetes. Drinking excessive water is usually a sign of something wrong.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed654321
I would stronglyl recommend a vet visit if you can work it out. I'm not a vet, and can't say for sure, but the symptoms sound to me like what my cat went through when he developed diabetes. Drinking excessive water is usually a sign of something wrong.
Thank you for the reply.

You don't think he would be acting like he didnt feel good? He has been very active and playing with my other cat a lot. What other signs did your cat have?
Thanks again,
~ Bobbi ~
post #4 of 16
The weight loss, increased drinking and urination, and increased activity can all be signs of hyperthyroidism (HyperT for short). HyperT is very common in older kitties, and it can be treated with medication, surgery or radioiodine treatment. It is diagnosed through a blood test. I would suggest that you ask the vet for a senior panel. It is a series of blood tests that can determine if your kitty has diabetes, kidney problems, or hyperthyroidism.

I would strongly encourage you to find a way to get this test done. I know that untreated hyperthyroidism can cause heart and kidney damage. You may want to look into a program like Care Credit (if your vet participates) where you can pay off the amount over time. Perhaps you could do some part time work, sell something, or ask for cat funds as a graduation gift (congrats by the way). The sooner you find out if something is wrong, the sooner your kitty can be treated and the fewer long term problems he is likely to have.
post #5 of 16
CloudShade is giving some great advice! I hope that you can get the vet to do the testing. Affordable health care is such a challenge for so many of us here, both mommies & meowmmies! I'm hoping that Trixter (great name, by the way ) gets an A+ on his checkup. Please keep us posted!
post #6 of 16
Eating a lot and still losing weight is another sign. When cats are diabetic their bodies don't metabolize the food as much. Therefore, they pee a lot more. And will always be hungry.

Fuzz didn't act sick. He stilll was affectionate and playful until it got worse (which is when he began to show the symptoms). He did begin to show some weakness in his back legs, but if it's early, cat's may not show that.

This is why I feel you should at least get him checked by a vet. As I said, drinking excessive amounts of water can be a sign of something wrong, not exclusively diabetes. He may not have it, but from what you've described, it seems something is wrong, and you need to have it checked out before whatever is going on causes more damage to his body.

Don't forget that cats are very good at hiding problems until it gets very bad.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hello again. First of all, thank you all so much for caring and responding to my post. Trixter is not losing any weight. He has stayed at a very healthy weight for a while now. The vet (when I took him in a couple months ago) said his weight is healthy, and he has not lost any more weight at all. The water intake has also slowed down a bit. I am thinking, because we live in the desert where it is really dry, that he is just thirsty. I am not disregarding what you all have said, and I do plan on taking him in as soon as I have the funds, I just think he is feeling good. If he was still losing weight I would definitely take him in right away. I do still plan on it as soon as I can afford it, just for an over-all exam and some blood work (the senior panel as you all suggested). As of right now, he has at the healthiest weight he has ever been, and he is feeling great and really enjoying his life. He has had digestive problems due to his weight for probably half of his life, but lately everything seems to be running smoother than ever and he is feeling much better with most of his excess weight gone.

It seems that after the whole thing when he had to get enemas, etc, that his body is back to the way it should be. When he was obese, he didn't even eat much because he always felt full, and I dont think his bowels ever completely emptied. Now, however, his digestive system is working how it is supposed to work. He is such a happy boy, and he hates the vet. I don't wanna put him through more drama if I can avoid it. At least not yet. He has had so many vet visits in his lifetime. It was only in March the last time he went. Right now he feels like a million bucks. I am going to post some pics of him and my other boy, Smeagol. Please don't ever think that I am carelessly letting anything slide when it comes to their health. My cats mean the world to me, and they know it. They're both very happy little boys. Thanks again, and I look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community of cat lovers here on TCS! <3









post #8 of 16
First, I have to say your kitties are absolutely gorgeous!
Second, I have to agree with the other posts--Trixter needs some blood work done. You mentioned that he is practically climbing in your plate to eat & begging a lot. My Sophie was eating everything that wasn't nailed down; blood work showed her to have hyperthyroid. She's on medication and, at age 16, is doing well. I know how it is when money is tight, but excessive eating & drinking are never something to take lightly. I would see if your vet would give you payment options and, if so, get Trixter looked at. (he really is beautiful
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby74
First, I have to say your kitties are absolutely gorgeous!
Second, I have to agree with the other posts--Trixter needs some blood work done. You mentioned that he is practically climbing in your plate to eat & begging a lot. My Sophie was eating everything that wasn't nailed down; blood work showed her to have hyperthyroid. She's on medication and, at age 16, is doing well. I know how it is when money is tight, but excessive eating & drinking are never something to take lightly. I would see if your vet would give you payment options and, if so, get Trixter looked at. (he really is beautiful

Thanks! And I agree, I will get him in there as soon as I can. Unfortunately, no payment plans are available at my usual vet, or any vet near by. I have tried. As soon as I have some money I will definitely take him in to get the testing done. In fact, I am going to call my vet right now just to ask some more questions and I will update you all when I get off the phone. Thanks again! I love when people compliment my babies, I am SO proud of them!

Edit: oops, I forgot it was Sunday. I will call tomorrow.
post #10 of 16
i agree with all the other posters and i would also start practicing tough love and keep him indoors. i do understand what you are facing if you do this, but most of what has gone wrong with your cat wouldn"t have happpened had he been indoors at the time. Especially if you do not have funds set up to take him to vet in a timely fashion, keeping him indoors makes sense. I have one female that still fights to go outdoors almost every day. Her crying can make me crazy, but when I think of all the dangers facing her outside, I hang tough and just let her cry. They will get tired of crying soon especially when you completely ignore them when they are crying. Also, cats get sick on a second's notice. Healthy two months ago means nothing really. They also fight to show no pain or discomfort. It is up to us to determine their health by watching them and providing adequate veterinary care.

When you can't afford a vet
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
i agree with all the other posters and i would also start practicing tough love and keep him indoors. i do understand what you are facing if you do this, but most of what has gone wrong with your cat wouldn"t have happpened had he been indoors at the time. Especially if you do not have funds set up to take him to vet in a timely fashion, keeping him indoors makes sense. I have one female that still fights to go outdoors almost every day. Her crying can make me crazy, but when I think of all the dangers facing her outside, I hang tough and just let her cry. They will get tired of crying soon especially when you completely ignore them when they are crying. Also, cats get sick on a second's notice. Healthy two months ago means nothing really. They also fight to show no pain or discomfort. It is up to us to determine their health by watching them and providing adequate veterinary care.

When you can't afford a vet
I understand what you're saying about him going outside. I just feel so bad. I feel like he didn't choose to be with me, I chose to keep him. I would hate for him to be depressed. I want him to be as happy as possible. I don't feel like being locked inside all the time (especially considering his background) is fair. That's a big decision, and I will certainly think it over. Thanks.

Also, there have been no changes in him since when he last saw the vet. He has not lost anymore weight. The vet felt confident that he is in good health. But I still plan on the testing, of course.
post #12 of 16
A few things I'd like to say.

First, you said he was eating like a pig. Eating like a pig and maintaining weight is the equivalent of losing weight. He is trying to compensate. That's why he's so hungry. Also, excessive water drinking in a cat is a sign of something wrong. I hope you reconsider.

Have you tried to contact local rescue groups? If you go to www.petfinder.org, then click on shelter & rescue groups in the upper right hand, then put in your state, you'll get a list of them near you. They often will help if you are in a bad situation and need help with your cat.

Also, go to http://www.ddaf.org/faq/ and click on the 2nd line, "Can DDAF help me pay my companion animal's medical bills?" Check those out, and also the General/Miscellaneous. You might find some help there too.

As far as keeping him inside, I can really understand how hard it is to listen to him cry, and how you feel it is unfair. I have had to withstand knowing my babies were miserable at times because I knew I was doing what would eventually be the best for them.

But as hard as it is to listen to him cry, or deal with the guilt, how much worse do you think it would feel if he went out and got hurt, you didn't have the money for vet bills, and you had to listen to him cry not to go out, but crying instead in pain. The little pang of guilt you feel of what you see as unfair is nothing compared to how unfair you'd feel it was to not be able to afford to help him if he did get hurt. You do need to look at the pros and cons of both sides. Keeping him in makes him a little upset, but he'll get over it. Play with him a little and he'll forget. Letting him out could kill him. Which is more unfair?

Take it from someone who is on a fixed income, and is always concerned what would happen if I didnt' have the money to take care of my cats. My number one first priority is to make sure I do everything I can to ensure they don't need a vet, and the last thing I'd do is take that risk for something like simply going out or not going out. I also put aside some money every month into a cat fund so if there is an emergency I have it. $15 or $20 a month means I don't go out once, or buy less clothes or juggle a bill, or eat spaghetti 4 times a week, or don't buy a soda out and wait till I get home, but it also means I have a little bit put away in case of an emergency. Most times vets are more willing to work with you if you have a reasonable amount to give them up front and offer to pay out the rest.

Everyone here has felt that the symptoms you've described have a very strong chance of indicating something is wrong.

As was said, a cat's health can turn very quickly. Since it's been 2 months, your vet can't tell you accurately if he feels tests are needed unless he see him again.

And one last thing I ask you consider ...

You said in your first post that you thought you could treat his abcess yourself. This is a quote from your post ...

(quote)
I figured I could treat the abcess myself and he would be ok. I was wrong. Trixter got even more sick, despite me treating the abcess the best I could. He ended up getting constipated (which could also be helped along by the fact that he has had a hip injury when he was hit by a car years ago, which can close the colon off some, making them mre suseptible to constipation)and that was when i flipped out and called my vet, begging him to help my Trixter without payment until I could get the money. Luckily, my vet is a very compassionate person and he was willing to help out my Trixter. he had to give him two enemas, fluid therapy i.v, some antibiotic injections and also sent me home with some liquid antibiotics).
(end quote)

If you had taken him to the vet right off, it probably would have cost you very little, and a dose of the right medicine and the right treatment would have cleared it up fast and inexpensively, and he would not have suffered through it the way he did. By waiting, you still couldn't afford it, but it cost you a lot more not only in money, but in his pain and suffering.

Please think about the "penny wise, dollar foolish" issues here. If there truly is a poblem, it's at the beginning and can be taken care of easily. If you let it go and whatever it is causes more damage to him, he will suffer more, and it will cost a lot more.

Remember, cats are very, very good at hiding pain and discomfort. They could be very sick and we wouldn't know it until it's almost too late. So the fact he's acting like a million bucks could mean nothing. You need to go by other signs, like how much he eats, drinks, very small behavior changes.

Please reconsider. I'd hate to see you and him end up suffering more than you have to.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed654321
A few things I'd like to say.

First, you said he was eating like a pig. Eating like a pig and maintaining weight is the equivalent of losing weight. He is trying to compensate. That's why he's so hungry. Also, excessive water drinking in a cat is a sign of something wrong. I hope you reconsider. ( I never said I wasnt going to take him in for tests)

Have you tried to contact local rescue groups? If you go to www.petfinder.org, then click on shelter & rescue groups in the upper right hand, then put in your state, you'll get a list of them near you. They often will help if you are in a bad situation and need help with your cat. Thanks for the info, but I live in a poor town, one shelter and I have tried to get help from them before, even when strays that the animal control is supposed to keep under "control" attacked Trixter and gave him abcesses, and they can hardly even afford the animals they have there at the shelter)

Also, go to http://www.ddaf.org/faq/ and click on the 2nd line, "Can DDAF help me pay my companion animal's medical bills?" I have tried sites like this, but you have to get a diagnoses first before they will try to help you find fundingCheck those out, and also the General/Miscellaneous. You might find some help there too.

As far as keeping him inside, I can really understand how hard it is to listen to him cry, and how you feel it is unfair. I have had to withstand knowing my babies were miserable at times because I knew I was doing what would eventually be the best for them.I dont agree. "best" isn't being depressed during their lives because they can't live the life of a cat. They ARE animals, and their hearts tell them to do certain things that are fulfilling to them; hunting, rolling in the dirt, etc. Being locked in the house prevents this. I couldn't play with him enough to fulfill his inner beasts needs, if I sat there with him all day...

But as hard as it is to listen to him cry, or deal with the guilt, how much worse do you think it would feel if he went out and got hurt, you didn't have the money for vet bills, and you had to listen to him cry not to go out, but crying instead in pain. The little pang of guilt you feel of what you see as unfair is nothing compared to how unfair you'd feel it was to not be able to afford to help him if he did get hurt. As stated, I would never let him suffer and cry in pain! That's insulting!You do need to look at the pros and cons of both sides. Keeping him in makes him a little upset,try a LOT, he is half WILD cat. His instincts are especially strong but he'll get over it. Play with him a little and he'll forget. Letting him out could kill him. Which is more unfair?

Take it from someone who is on a fixed income, When I am on a "fixed" income, I will take him much more often. As of right now, I am a college student...and is always concerned what would happen if I didnt' have the money to take care of my cats. My number one first priority is to make sure I do everything I can to ensure they don't need a vet, and the last thing I'd do is take that risk for something like simply going out or not going out. Insulting, AGAIN! Your veiws differ greatly from mine when it comes to whether a cat is truly happy or not being locked up, he isn't a tea cup poodle who was bred for human enjoyment. He is half wild and needs to fulfill those needs in order to be truly happy. I am not thinking of the burden on me, I am thinking of his feelings and his true desires. He would rather die than be locked up and never go outside again. I know him VERY well, after all he has been my boy for 10 years. I also put aside some money every month into a cat fund so if there is an emergency I have it. $15 or $20 a month means I don't go out once, or buy less clothes or juggle a bill, or eat spaghetti 4 times a week, or don't buy a soda out and wait till I get home, but it also means I have a little bit put away in case of an emergency.Insulting once again... when I have a steady income and my college degree, I am going to get pet insurance. I don't have the option of buying clothes every month. As far as the soda, we sometimes struggle with food. (and yeah, the cats are ALWAYS fed, so please don't attack me saying I don't feed them..) Most times vets are more willing to work with you if you have a reasonable amount to give them up front and offer to pay out the rest.If I had any reasonable amount to offer the vet, I would have already taken him to get tests done

Everyone here has felt that the symptoms you've described have a very strong chance of indicating something is wrong. I noticed and appreciated that, and stated a few times that I plan on getting the tests ASAP....

As was said, a cat's health can turn very quickly. Since it's been 2 months, your vet can't tell you accurately if he feels tests are needed unless he see him again. As stated below, it hasn't changed, aside from some weight GAIN since i last saw my vet, he has NOT LOST ANY, he gained a little. And the vet said his weight then was healthy, not too skinny at all.

And one last thing I ask you consider ...

You said in your first post that you thought you could treat his abcess yourself. This is a quote from your post ...

(quote)
I figured I could treat the abcess myself and he would be ok. I was wrong. Trixter got even more sick, despite me treating the abcess the best I could. He ended up getting constipated (which could also be helped along by the fact that he has had a hip injury when he was hit by a car years ago, which can close the colon off some, making them mre suseptible to constipation)and that was when i flipped out and called my vet, begging him to help my Trixter without payment until I could get the money. Luckily, my vet is a very compassionate person and he was willing to help out my Trixter. he had to give him two enemas, fluid therapy i.v, some antibiotic injections and also sent me home with some liquid antibiotics).
(end quote)

If you had taken him to the vet right off, it probably would have cost you very little, and a dose of the right medicine and the right treatment would have cleared it up fast and inexpensively, and he would not have suffered through it the way he did. By waiting, you still couldn't afford it, but it cost you a lot more not only in money, but in his pain and suffering. i didnt feel like I had a choice, and friends, family, and people online were telling me to treat it myself, etc.

Please think about the "penny wise, dollar foolish" issues here. Again, insulting. I do NOT Have any money at this very second, thus why I was asking for advice, etc. I already explained that. This feels like an attack, not constructive advise. If there truly is a poblem, it's at the beginning and can be taken care of easily. If you let it go and whatever it is causes more damage to him, he will suffer more, and it will cost a lot more. He is NOT suffering, I can tell when he isnt feeling well. I know my cat very well. Each cat is different, like any mammal species. For you to assume that I would let him suffer hurts my feelings.

Remember, cats are very, very good at hiding pain and discomfort. Trixter is VERY vocal and expressive. He will let you know when he doesn't feel well.They could be very sick and we wouldn't know it until it's almost too late. Not always true. I have always caught his ailments early. I monitor him closely. So the fact he's acting like a million bucks could mean nothing. You need to go by other signs, like how much he eats, drinks, very small behavior changes.

Please reconsider. I'd hate to see you and him end up suffering more than you have to.I appreciate you caring, but I have nothing to reconsider when it comes to the testing, as I have said many times now, i plan, 100%, to get him those tests ASAP
There are bold comments in your quote.

I already said I was going to get him the testing he needs when i can afford it. By "can't afford it" I dont mean I have clothes to buy instead, or sodas...(THAT was very insulting. I am not middle class, I am POOR. Does that mean I can't take in a cat that would have otherwise been ALWAYS outside, living by the hills (we have coyotes)and love him with all of my heart?). You're making it sound like I am being selfish, and would rather spend money on myself than take him to the vet, when in fact i am STRUGGLING to pay my bills right now and have food on the table. I feel like I am being attacked, instead of getting the information, which I already got, appreciated, and SAID I was going to act on ASAP. You're talking down to me as if I don't love my cats as much as you love yours because I am struggling financially. Your last post felt like an attack and like you were telling me I was a horrible person and mommy for this situation. Of course, i will take him to the vet. I love him, I am not going to let him suffer, geez. Believe me, I take good care of my cats and they are happy and I always find a way to get them care when they need it. You could state your opinion without making it sound like a vicious attack on someone who is abusing their animals. Come on... I did not like the tone of your post at all, and thanks to everyone who have been a big help, but I dont know if I will be back here after the feeling i have in my stomach right now.

Also, he hasnt been eating his cat food like a pig, just people food when we are eating; our other cat does it, too. Trixter didn't much like people food when he was overweight, as he seemed to feel full all the time. After his system got a COMPLETE clean out (TWO enemas, etc) it has run differently. The vet didn't blame the constipation on the abcess, he actually said the abcess looked really good and that I did a great job with it, and that sometimes a cat will get constipated, especially ones whose hips have been hurt like his were when he was dinked by a car and the tailpipe hit him. It can close off the colon some when its trying to regrow and heal up, making him more suseptible to constipation. He had said that it happens to us all, (constipation)at some point in our lives, but if and when it happens to cats with a semi-closed off colon, they are more likely to get blocked up worse. I wasn't 100% sure he was right that the two weren't connected, cause I thought it was brought on by the abcess. I really don't know...What I do know is that when he had that happen, after the enemas he had lost a lot of extra weight, and he has gained back some of it since then and is now maintaining a steady, HEALTHY weight. I am not sure if there is something wrong or not, but it all seems to make sense. I was hoping for some advice, and thankfully I got it and I know that I need to get those tests done. I appreciate that, but you act like I planned on not doing it and blowing it off, like I don't even care and like me saying I don't have the money means that I can't choose trixter over new shoes or something petty.....NOT THE CASE AT ALL! I don't like anyone to insult how much I love him. As I said, I plan on calling my vet tomorrow to ask some questions. Saying "If you would have just taken him to the vet..." is a huge insult, as well, because you make it sound as if I chose to let him suffer. I had dealt with this before, and a lot of people will tell you that treating it at home is a lot of times fine. The vet didn't act like it had any connection with the constipation. I just thought it might have, and despite the advice of vets to get an enema myself and give it to him, i took him to the dr. because i CARE, and was worried about any infection that he could have had because of the abcess.

As for the going outside thing, some people believe they're just fine inside. For some cats, I agree. On the other hand, some cats are more instinctual. If someone adopted me, and then kept me locked up inside my whole life,saying I would be more safe, I would be depressed. I have seen him have trouble pooping, and get really depressed when he is unable to go outside. (Nowadays, he sticks to my yard and the neighbors when he's out). I want him to live his life to it's fullest and enjoy it as much as possible, and going outside to be a cat is something I feel he needs to feel fulfilled. As far as "I am only putting him in danger", are cats MEANT to be locked up? That's how zoo's work, and I believe those animals are COMPLETEY miserable for the most part, even when people play with them, etc... My Trixter has a beast inside of him, that craves the smell of earth, the taste of grass, the sun on his body as he rolls in the dirt. I have a really hard time denying him what his heart desires. It's HIS life. When and if things happen and he needs vet care, my vet is supportive and treats him before we can pay, but as far as "he is feeling great, begging for food with my other cat, drinking a lot of water, pooping, peeing, and playing with all of his heart, but could you do some testing and I will pay you back" is concerned, my vet (which is VERY trustable, has been Trixters primary vet his entire life, and has been caring for some of my friends parents pets for 30+ years) would say not to worry about it until I have the money because he looks and acts to be in good shape. He is good at letting me know how he feels, believe it or not. I can see it in his eyes and on his face. The vet has seen him since this "I want people food and I want water" thing has been happening, and he has not lost weight since then, he has gained, and now is maintaining a very healthy body weight. Also please don't forget the diet change, to food with milk bits that aids in digestion, and he is pooping perfectly fine every day. It is pretty logical to figure that now that his sytem is running properly, and he is all cleaned out from the enemas, that he is feeling hungrier (without the blockage, "im full" feeling) and simply passing the food through better than he has in years. Also, Trixter has always been a pretty heavy water drinker (though it was seeming like more for a while there). He is known to lay at the water bowl drinking (which is said to possibly be a bad sign) and has done so his entire life. My vet knows that and has never said it was abnormal, since he has ALWAYS done that. (I live in the California desert) With all of this said, I feel like there are reasons for his behaviour that explain it for the most part. If this happened out of nowhere, with no possible reasoning, I would be REALLY upset and crying on the phone with my vet like I always have when Trixter needed help and I had no money. I do not feel like this is a panick situation, but I do plan on getting those tests done, just to be sure. I never said I didn't plan on it. You made me feel like I am a horrible mommy for not having the money to take him right this second, when I am graduating school this month, and am currently unemployed, stressed out, and broke. I can't even attend my graduation for financial reasons.

I am sorry I am ranting, but that post hurt my feelings and made me feel like crap. I don't understand why when I stated that i plan on getting the tests done, you had to start attacking me in a such a way, and insulting me and the mistakes I have made, quoting me and critisizing me, when I obviously know I should have taken him sooner when he had the abcess back in August last year..You rub it in my face, and make me feel worse... I am doing my best and I love my Trixter with my heart and soul. You made it sound like I don't...

If you still feel like I am wrong, and you want to further critisize my veiws or decisions in cold, hurtful tones, i doubt i will be coming back to read it. Unlike the warm, caring, constructive, yet nice replies I got from the others, yours just repeated what was already said, and came off as an attack that doubted my love for my cats, which is the last thing I hoped for when asking my questions.

Thanks for listening, and rest assured that Trixter will get the care he deserves.
post #14 of 16
I'm sorry your feelng were hurt by my post. It was not meant to hurt, nor to criticize. I think perhaps you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say, and took a lot of comments out of context. I never said you didn't love your cat, nor that you haven't done what you could. Sharing my solutions with you is not insulting you. If you take it that way, I'm sorry you did, but that's not what I meant to do.

You came here for advice because you felt there was something wrong with your cat. Then you said he's fine. It's hard to understand exactly what's going on if you keep saying different things.

You said I didn't offer help. Did you even look at the petfinder site I suggested? I found 2 rescues in Bakersfield alone, The Cat People, Inc. and The Peaceful Kingdom (Alliance 4 Animals). A little farther out in Edwards is Apet Rescue, Tiger Lily Cat Sanctuary in Santa Clarita, Concerned People for Animals in Sorris. There are more and maybe they are all not that close to you, and they may not be able to help you, but you never know unless you at least call. Maybe they know of a vet, or a group or some way you might get some help. You don't know unless you call. If you did try them you didn't say so, you only mentioned the spca. So I have no way of knowing if you did.

What I said about the money was that I put a little bit away every month into a "cat fund" just in case. Sometimes it's a few dollars. Sometimes maybe a little more maybe $10 or $20. Depends on my expenses. But afer a while I have a small nestegg in case of an emergency so if I do have to give the vet something, it's already been put aside. I've put only $2 in sometimes. And gone without if I had to. Telling you what I've done to make sure I have the money I need is not insulting you. But it might be something to think about for the future.

These were not insults. I was sharing with you things I do that have helped me deal with not having much money, and sometimes none at all. If they are not applicable, that is one thing. But that is not an insult.

However, every person here, even the ones you said were nice and helped you, told you that letting your cat out is very dangerous and could make matters worse. Your analogy of locking a person up from birth in a little room is a very different thing. What might be a better analogy is if you had a small child who loved to run across the street, and there was busy traffic with cars shooting back and forth, and he cried because he wanted to run. I doubt you'd let him run back and forth across the street.

If every person here, even the ones you respect, and the ones you believe have the best interests of your cat at heart, tell you that letting him out is dangerous, and keeping him in is not cruel, wouldn't that at least be enough to convince you to at least do some research and look into the idea that maybe it's not so bad before making a decision that might be putting him at risk?

I had a cat who lived to go out onto the porch, but then I had to move to a 10th floor apt without a porch for a few years. At first he missed it, but he got over it. A lot is just habit. Once he got used to his surroundings, he was quite content, healthy and happy. If you feel it's that imperative that cats, because they are wild, must go out, why are so many who are indoor cats happy and thriving?

I think every person here will bear me out regarding the fact that cats hide their pain and physical problems very well. Many of us know our cats very well. Many of us have lived with cats longer than 10 years and have been fooled by them. Ask your vet. He'll tell you the same thing. This is not an insult to you. It is how cats are and why sometimes suddenly one day they are in very bad shape when the day before they seemed fine. If you believe that you and your cat are somehow above all the other cats and their people, and you don't have the same issues they do, that's your choice. But it is not an insult to you for someone to point out a fact of animal behavior.

When you first posted, and I answered, you asked me some more questions. I answered them. and I answered them honestly, giving you my experience and why I said what I did. I even said then that cats don't show their pain until it gets really bad. I didn't make that up. I learned that from a vet. And have heard it from others since then. When I first answered I referred to the fact he was drinking too much and eating too much and you continued the conversation as if that was valid. I refer to it now and you claim it's not true. Unless you are consistent with me, how can I offer you ideas based on my experience?

But I do not think I insulted you, nor did I ever have any intent to. Sharing my thought, my beliefs, my experiences, and my concerns are not insults to you simply because they are different or not what you've experienced. And taking them out of context (which includes the previous informatoin and questions we've exchanged previously) and accusing me of insulting you is not fair to me.

If I'm guilty of anything it's perhaps trying to emphasize things that I, and others here, feel are very important in keeping your Bubba healthy, and the reason, at least speaking for me, I might have come on strong was because I DO believe you love him and I don't want to see either of you unhappy.

I am 52 years old. I have lived some and learned more for no other reason than I've had time to. Most likely when you are my age you will know more than I know now.

But if you believe that people here are concerned about cats, and that includes yours, at the very least please consider putting aside some of your ideas long enough to at least think about them or do some more research on them before dismissing them.

Please don't be insulted by this next comment, it is honestly meant to be said with some humor...

But have you ever heard that ironic statement that goes, "When I was young , I didn't thiink my parents knew anything. As I got older, I realized how much they had learned."

Whether you choose to believe it or not, I do care about what happens to Bubba and to you, and I really meant it when I said I hope things work out for the best. And I was trying to help, not only with specifics, but also with ideas and information that might help you find alternatives that will give you more options.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed654321
I'm sorry your feelng were hurt by my post. It was not meant to hurt, nor to criticize. I think perhaps you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say, and took a lot of comments out of context. I never said you didn't love your cat, nor that you haven't done what you could. Sharing my solutions with you is not insulting you. If you take it that way, I'm sorry you did, but that's not what I meant to do.

You came here for advice because you felt there was something wrong with your cat. Then you said he's fine. I was being logical. When you take your cat to the vet, he asks questions about what could be possible explanations. I was making sure I had given you, and anyone else who may read this, all of the information I could possibly give to aid in the understanding of this circumstance. It's hard to understand exactly what's going on if you keep saying different things. Do tell me where I contradicted myself, because I didn't.

You said I didn't offer help. Actually, I never said thatDid you even look at the petfinder site I suggested? I found 2 rescues in Bakersfield alone,bakersfield isn't local, its an hour away, and I am poor. Besides, they wont just fork over money if you tell them you THINK there might be something wrong. They would never have enough funding if everyone who asked for money for tests got it. You have to have a diagnoses, and proof that an expensive procedure is needed The Cat People, Inc. and The Peaceful Kingdom (Alliance 4 Animals). A little farther out in Edwards is Apet Rescue, Tiger Lily Cat Sanctuary in Santa Clarita, Concerned People for Animals in Sorris. There are more and maybe they are all not that close to you, and they may not be able to help you, but you never know unless you at least call. Maybe they know of a vet, or a group or some way you might get some help. You don't know unless you call. If you did try them you didn't say so, you only mentioned the spca. So I have no way of knowing if you did.

What I said about the money was that I put a little bit away every month into a "cat fund" just in case. Sometimes it's a few dollars. Sometimes maybe a little more maybe $10 or $20. Depends on my expenses. But afer a while I have a small nestegg in case of an emergency so if I do have to give the vet something, it's already been put aside. As I said, that's great. But at this point in time, I dont have that option I've put only $2 in sometimes. And gone without if I had to. Telling you what I've done to make sure I have the money I need is not insulting you. But it might be something to think about for the future.Again, you disregard what I said, which is that i plan on getting pet insurance, etc.

These were not insults. I was sharing with you things I do that have helped me deal with not having much money, and sometimes none at all. If they are not applicable, that is one thing. But that is not an insult. It feels like it when I tell you one thing and you disregard what i say.

However, every person here, even the ones you said were nice and helped you, told you that letting your cat out is very dangerous and could make matters worse. Your analogy of locking a person up from birth in a little room is a very different thing. What might be a better analogy is if you had a small child who loved to run across the street, and there was busy traffic with cars shooting back and forth, and he cried because he wanted to run. I doubt you'd let him run back and forth across the street. That analogy makes no sense. I was saying keeping the kid locked up all the time, unable to socialize, play, etc, not letting them run across the street. That's very different. he isn't outside being completely ignorant. He is not TRYING to do stupid things, or trying to get hurt. He plays in the yard, rolls in the dirt, etc. He hasnt even crossed the street in YEARS. I also brought up the zoo, and having animals locked up in cages. That is how it feels to him when he is locked inside. Like I also said, he isnt a tea cup poodle, which is bred for the enjoyment of humans, and there is a HUGE instincual difference between cats like persians who are bred to look pretty, and their intincts have for the most part been bred out of them by man, and a cat who's instoncts are strong and yearn for things like hunting and rolling in the dirt. That is what I mean by "I agree, for some cats."

If every person here, even the ones you respect, and the ones you believe have the best interests of your cat at heart, tell you that letting him out is dangerous, and keeping him in is not cruel, wouldn't that at least be enough to convince you to at least do some research and look into the idea that maybe it's not so bad before making a decision that might be putting him at risk?I have read about it and thought about it a lot. You act as though i spout out the mouth even when I am completely ignorant to the facts. I never said I wasn't taking a risk letting him out.

I had a cat who lived to go out onto the porch, but then I had to move to a 10th floor apt without a porch for a few years. At first he missed it, but he got over it. A lot is just habit. Once he got used to his surroundings, he was quite content, healthy and happy. If you feel it's that imperative that cats, because they are wild, must go out, why are so many who are indoor cats happy and thriving? I agree that if you make the choice to kep them in from the beginning, a cat will not know what he/she is missing. Trixter has been able to go outside since he was 2. (I know, again, I am a horrible cat-mom for making that decision)Also, cats that are bred to be "pretty" usually have weakened instincts (this i know from experience), and therefore crave the the natural cat behaviour less.

I think every person here will bear me out regarding the fact that cats hide their pain and physical problems very well. Many of us know our cats very well. Many of us have lived with cats longer than 10 years and have been fooled by them. Ask your vet. He'll tell you the same thing. This is not an insult to you. It is how cats are and why sometimes suddenly one day they are in very bad shape when the day before they seemed fine. If you believe that you and your cat are somehow above all the other cats and their people, and you don't have the same issues they do, that's your choice. I never said iwas "above" anyone. Give me a break. I simply said that not all cats are the same. I believe animals are just as unique as humans. I don't agree with putting them all in one category and assuming they ALL act the exact same. Trixter does let me know how he feels, and if he was seriously really sick, I feel that he wouldnt have gained weight back, nor would he be playing so happily, either. I have known lots of cats 10 and up, and they don't play like he does anymore. Again, I am not saying I am not going to get the tests done, because I surely am. But it is not an insult to you for someone to point out a fact of animal behavior.Again, every cat is not going to act the exact same.

When you first posted, and I answered, you asked me some more questions. I answered them. and I answered them honestly, giving you my experience and why I said what I did. I even said then that cats don't show their pain until it gets really bad. I didn't make that up. I learned that from a vet. And have heard it from others since then. When I first answered I referred to the fact he was drinking too much and eating too much and you continued the conversation as if that was valid. I refer to it now and you claim it's not true. Unless you are consistent with me, how can I offer you ideas based on my experience? I never said it wasnt true, I simply gave you more details and backed it up with everything that has happened. If you don't explain things in detail to your vet, he has a harder time understanding what exactly is going on. All of the details I gave you are pretty important factors.

But I do not think I insulted you, nor did I ever have any intent to. Sharing my thought, my beliefs, my experiences, and my concerns are not insults to you simply because they are different or not what you've experienced. And taking them out of context (which includes the previous informatoin and questions we've exchanged previously) and accusing me of insulting you is not fair to me. It felt insulting when you disregard half of what i said.

If I'm guilty of anything it's perhaps trying to emphasize things that I, and others here, feel are very important in keeping your Bubba healthy, and the reason, at least speaking for me, I might have come on strong was because I DO believe you love him and I don't want to see either of you unhappy.

I am 52 years old. I have lived some and learned more for no other reason than I've had time to. Most likely when you are my age you will know more than I know now.I never underestimated your intelligence, i just felt attacked and like you were not even hearing me. I explained my situation, yet you continue to brush off the details that are important in the understanding of what has been going on with my Trixter.

But if you believe that people here are concerned about cats, and that includes yours, at the very least please consider putting aside some of your ideas long enough to at least think about them or do some more research on them before dismissing them. I made it clear that I appreciated the feedback and WAS considering all the information I was provided with; another thing you seem to have missed.

Please don't be insulted by this next comment, it is honestly meant to be said with some humor...

But have you ever heard that ironic statement that goes, "When I was young , I didn't thiink my parents knew anything. As I got older, I realized how much they had learned." Again, I never underestimated your intelligence, I was trying to explain my situation in greater detail and you acted as though I was simply explaining for the sake of argument.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, I do care about what happens to Bubba and to you, and I really meant it when I said I hope things work out for the best. And I was trying to help, not only with specifics, but also with ideas and information that might help you find alternatives that will give you more options.
Thanks.

I appreciate your advice, whether you believe me or not. I just don't like feeling attacked and unheard.

~ Bobbi ~
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed654321
But have you ever heard that ironic statement that goes, "When I was young , I didn't thiink my parents knew anything. As I got older, I realized how much they had learned."
I believe that was a "Mark Twain" comment, i.e., When I was 16 I couldn't believe how ignorant my parents were. By the time I was 21, I couldn't believe how much they had learned in 5 years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Advice about my baby