or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Quality dry cat food without fish?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quality dry cat food without fish?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Does anybody know of a good quality dry cat food that doesn't have fish as an ingredient? I have a cat that gets a bladder infection everytime she has tuna, etc... and I would like to feed them something higher quality than the SD that I am feeding now, especially since my cats are getting older.

Oh, and I have 4 cats that free feed, so I really need a dry food, but I would also like a wet treat food, if anyone has any suggestions for that. Thanks!
post #2 of 19
These are the only fishless dry cat foods I can find:

-California Natural Chicken & Rice
-Wellness Super5Mix Adult
-Lick Your Chops Kitten & Cat

And these are the fishless canned cat foods I found:

-Wellness Turkey
-Wellness Chicken
-Wellness Beef & Chicken
-Lick Your Chops Beef & Brown Rice
-Lick Your Chops Chicken & Brown Rice
-Lick Your Chops Lamb & Brown Rice
-Lick Your Chops Turkey & Brown Rice
-Felidae Chicken & Rice
-Eagle Pack Holistic Select Duck & Oatmeal
-Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken & Lamb
-Eagle Pack Holistic Select Turkey & Barley
post #3 of 19
Felidae also makes a chicken and rice variety, though I haven't tried it. My kitty is currently being switched over to California Natural, and she seems to like it.
post #4 of 19
Um, the Felidae Chicken & Rice dry has fish in it, actually.

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
post #5 of 19
Pro pac has a beef

Natures recipe has a few I believe are fish free...

Cal Natural

sensible choice

these are canned

cal natural
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apric0t
Um, the Felidae Chicken & Rice dry has fish in it, actually.

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
That to me looks like the regular Felidae formula ingredients, not the Chicken and Rice. The C&R is pretty new, only a few months on the market
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I'll try to find these around here! Where do you find the Felidae C & R ? That's what I went looking for today- Felidae (and by the way, thanks, I probably would have missed the herring meal ) If anyone knows where to find the others, that would be great, too. I have Pet Supermarket, Pets Supplies Plus, Petco, and Superpetz about 30 min away. Any chance I'd find them there? (Went to a small P S P today, can check the bigger one in the "upscale" part of town , too.)
post #8 of 19
I have yet to find a store carring the new felidea ... likely a mom and pop store

I did relize Nutro s Natural Choice lamb has no fish ..
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar
That to me looks like the regular Felidae formula ingredients, not the Chicken and Rice. The C&R is pretty new, only a few months on the market
That is the ingredients for the regular Felidae formula. The Chicken and rice formula is a single protein source food. The only other dry food fish free that is better then SD is a Wellness formula(not recommend production problems) and California Natural chicken and rice. My Liberty is very allergic to fish and she hates chicken . Merrick's has been trying to come out with a dry food for awhile but it is still a no go. Merrick is the only wet food she will eat. She loves turkey and gets one can of Merricks Thanksgiving dinner per week. I hope they make this in dry when they finally come out with dry food!-kd
post #10 of 19
Some of the Natural Balance canned varieties don't contain fish, as well as their venison and green pea dry:http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...CatCanned.html
post #11 of 19
catsallover: If you find a store that carries Felidae, but not the C&R, they probably just aren't carrying that type yet, but can bring it in if you ask. I know at my store, we decided not to carry it on hand, but if a customer asked for it, we'd bring it for them no problem.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover
Thanks, I'll try to find these around here! Where do you find the Felidae C & R ? That's what I went looking for today- Felidae (and by the way, thanks, I probably would have missed the herring meal ) If anyone knows where to find the others, that would be great, too. I have Pet Supermarket, Pets Supplies Plus, Petco, and Superpetz about 30 min away. Any chance I'd find them there? (Went to a small P S P today, can check the bigger one in the "upscale" part of town , too.)
List of ingredients for Felidae Chicken and Rice:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
http://www.canidae.com/cats/chicken_and_rice/dry.html

Looks pretty good to me.

Link to their store locator:
http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html
(Canidae is the name of the dog food they make but most stores sell both)
Is the Pet Supplies Plus near you?
Address:1928 Hwy 31
City:Pelham
State:AL
Zip: 35224
Phone: 205 978-9788

Good Luck -kd
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I printed out the list of stores near me, and will call them to see if they can get Felidae C and R. I tried a Pet Supplies Plus near me (Homewood), but they didn't have (or have a space marked for) any kind of Felidae, but they have the Canidae- that's what I feed my dog- but it was small and there is a bigger one about 10- 15 min. further down the road (and Pelham is another 15 mins. south from there (I actually live @ 20 min. north of B'ham), but thanks ! Sorry to hear, but also glad to hear, that my weird cat isn't the only one who can't eat fish !

She also has to have antihistamine shot before her yearly shots .
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover
She also has to have antihistamine shot before her yearly shots .
So does Jamie. If you can't get certain foods in your area, it might be worthwhile ordering online. I have a really difficult time getting premium foods in my area, and have gradually gotten a group of friends/neighbors/colleagues/local shelters with special needs cats together, so I make bulk purchases online, get quantity discounts, and don't have to pay for shipping and handling. Several of our neighbors are senior citizens, so the delivery people know to just put the stuff in our garage if nobody is home, and to have one of the neighbors sign for it.
post #15 of 19
I recommend Innova, both wet and dry, as well as California Natural Chicken and Rice.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra
I recommend Innova, both wet and dry, as well as California Natural Chicken and Rice.
Innove ha fish in it. However, California Naural is fish free. I ca out to anyone with allergies. Liberty is allergic to cat litter and not the only one in my vets practice that is. Weird but true. -kd
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
How odd . We haven't had that problem (so far ) but she is my one cat (out of 4) who gets in, tee tees right in the very front of the box, and hops out without hardly touching the litter . What do you use instead of cat litter? And how did you figure out the cat litter allergy?
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover
How odd . We haven't had that problem (so far ) but she is my one cat (out of 4) who gets in, tee tees right in the very front of the box, and hops out without hardly touching the litter . What do you use instead of cat litter? And how did you figure out the cat litter allergy?
I use Feline Pine because I can get it really easy. However, I could use any litter that is not clay or clumping. I don't know what ingredient she's allergic to. So, I can only use something completely different from what I used before I finally figured it out. I had her 16+ months before I figured this out. However, I think she had it when I adopted her. In her case the only sign was hair loss. It didn't all fall out but got just a little thin on her legs and belly. I think it was also making her itch a little. She was mad for 3 days after I completely changed. Then all the sudden she was so happy it was not funny. I think the litter change was why. -kd
post #19 of 19
Today I found several foods that are good to very good ... Most Royal Canin
Natural balence venison Nutro NC with lamb and max adult...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Quality dry cat food without fish?