Chicken feed or WBCL Questions on both.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK everyone is talking about being able to flush these two down the toilet. Well my toilet wont handle that sort of thing. But I heard mention that you can put the WBCL on your garden. I would assume you could do the same with your chicken feed too. The question I have on both of these is this. I put cow poo on my garden after it has set for a few years. Because if it goes on right away it can cause my plants to get burned by the poo. It has to get old before it is any good for me. So wouldn't it be the same for cat poo and pee?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you scoop out the pee and poo in the litter before dumping it in the garden... it acts similiar to mulch...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL Whats the point in that? I still can't flush the pee and poo. So that leaves me with tossing it out still. Besides, I thought some one said on here, that with WBCL you could use it until it was gone. You just kept adding to the box, so if that is the case. Just what is being tossed out into the garden, if no poo or pee is going out there?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can flush it , I do a stiky sticky poo ... there would be some nitrogen from the urine like in some of it thus the garden gets some nutrients..

I do a complete box change about every 3-5 weeks but I do have a kidney girls who pees alot and once in a while misses the box

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cant help ya. but if your looking for something that would be a good mulch you could try Wood stove pellets. thats what i use, we just scoop the poo, you can flush it. I toss it. and use the saw dust as mulch

bdonnally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I have been hunting feed stores for 'MG Chicken Layer Granules' to replace WBCL. Does anyone know the brand name and/or exact product name? I need to find the 'Chicken Feed' locally in Syracuse NY and not having any luck.

Thanks

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't use chicken feed! I tried that and (a) it's a sinful waste of food; and (b) the dust tracking was UNBELIEVABLE. I lost it when Gizmo tracked bright yellow footprints all over my bed!
It wasn't the poor baby's fault of course.

Here's the deal: there are composters available that will handle the cat poo Check out online 'green' goods stores for home composting bins.
Some suggested places to look are posted below. Manure from animals can't be mixed with household scraps if you want to use them on food crops, but it's fine for ornamental plants.

I've heard that cat litter is too acidic for gardens but then I've also seen composters in parks that handle dog poo. It all depends on whether you 'treat' it right before putting it in the garden.

good luck

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and if it is natural cat litter you want, you can't beat Nature's Miracle. It's cheaper than WBCL, it's made of corn COBS, not the corn itself (so it won't attract mealworms or get dusty), and if you put some old carpet near the litterbox, there is very little tracking and that only just near the box. It can be purchased on amazon.com and in petco.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the "chicken feed" but it is called egg crumbles or egg laying because it is for baby chicks. It is not regular chicken feed. You can buy it at a feed store, look up feed in the yellow pages. I used WBCL, and I think it is the exact same thing and quadruple the price. a 50 pound bag of chicken feed here costs thirteen dollars, that might get you 8 pounds of wbcl.

I am a gardener and a composter and I have always read that cat and dog and human waste are not good for the compost, because they are not vegeteraians and thre are parasites and bacteria that would be harmful to us. Cows are vegitarians. So even composted cats poo would not be any good, from what I understand. When my litter gets stale and I want to wash out the box (every few months) I just put it in a bag and trash it. You can never get every single drop of poo and pee out, so I would not use it in the garden. The smell might attract other cats to pee on it, and for health reasons.
Also, wood ashes and sawdust are not good for the garden either, they throw the PH of the soil off.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I use the "chicken feed" but it is called egg crumbles or egg laying because it is for baby chicks. It is not regular chicken feed. You can buy it at a feed store, look up feed in the yellow pages. I used WBCL, and I think it is the exact same thing and quadruple the price. a 50 pound bag of chicken feed here costs thirteen dollars, that might get you 8 pounds of wbcl.

I am a gardener and a composter and I have always read that cat and dog and human waste are not good for the compost, because they are not vegeteraians and thre are parasites and bacteria that would be harmful to us. Cows are vegitarians. So even composted cats poo would not be any good, from what I understand. When my litter gets stale and I want to wash out the box (every few months) I just put it in a bag and trash it. You can never get every single drop of poo and pee out, so I would not use it in the garden. The smell might attract other cats to pee on it, and for health reasons.
Also, wood ashes and sawdust are not good for the garden either, they throw the PH of the soil off.
Exactly.... I use egg layer crumbles by two companies, 50 lbs never runs me more than 10.50///

I learned the hardway about composting this stuff