TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Jerry is getting old, or so he says.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jerry is getting old, or so he says.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Jerry went to see the eye doctor today after work and he just called and said that she precribed bifocals for him! Now he's having a pity party for himself crying the blues that he's old! Poor guy. Do any of you wear them? Do they take really long getting used to?
post #2 of 23
I got mine about 3 years ago and the biggest complaint was the cost. But I find that I occasionally have to position them up or down my nose for reading and take them off for really close work.

Welcome to the old codger's club, Jerry!
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks Jan. I'll tell him. Hey, I figure we're like fine wine, we just get better with age, right???


Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady
I got mine about 3 years ago and the biggest complaint was the cost. But I find that I occasionally have to position them up or down my nose for reading and take them off for really close work.

Welcome to the old codger's club, Jerry!
post #4 of 23
Nah, like cheese. Hard and moldy.
post #5 of 23
I only need my bins for reading a book or newspaper etc... I'm fine with the computer though but it is a nuisance when i have to look over my bins from the paperwork i'm reading to look at the pc.
post #6 of 23
I've been wearing them for the past 4 or 5 years, and they're wonderful! (I'll be 49 next month). I wear bifocal contacts (14-day lenses) during the week, and glasses on weekends,
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
I've been wearing them for the past 4 or 5 years, and they're wonderful! (I'll be 49 next month). I wear bifocal contacts (14-day lenses) during the week, and glasses on weekends,

Jerry will be 45 on June 24. I guess the time frame is about the same as yours!
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemlady
Nah, like cheese. Hard and moldy.
post #9 of 23
Hah...I have trifocals...can't tell from looking at them, and given how much time I spend on the computer, these were my best option.

It's no big deal, but really nice to be able to see
post #10 of 23
After being nearsighted and astigmatic, since the age of nine, I got my first (and only) pair of bifocals two months after my 43rd birthday. Five months later, I had Lasik surgery and am no longer nearsighted or astigmatic.

There are pairs of reading glasses on my computer desk, my nightstand, the coffee table, in my work tote bag and in whichever purse that I'm carrying.

Getting bifocals or reading glasses is the definitive sign that one is (gasp) MIDDLE-AGED!
post #11 of 23
Hardly anyone in my family has glasses. Even my great-grandparents don't.
post #12 of 23
Last week I had the option of bi-focals or two pairs of glasses...I went with two pairs lol. I am only 30 but it was sad to find out that I am ready for bi-focals..
post #13 of 23
I got my bi-focals 18 years ago ... I was 13. So I hope it isn't a sign of old age! (Of course I've worn glass since I was about 4)
Catfriend
post #14 of 23
Um are Bifocals glasses that have sort of like 2 glass on it and the bottom one is for reading adn the top is just for looking at people?

If so.. My parents both have it
post #15 of 23
You could tell him he's only as old as he acts, and since he's throwing a fit, that means he's only two, and he should be happy he's so young!
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagerie mama
You could tell him he's only as old as he acts, and since he's throwing a fit, that means he's only two, and he should be happy he's so young!


Good point!
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan
Um are Bifocals glasses that have sort of like 2 glass on it and the bottom one is for reading adn the top is just for looking at people?

If so.. My parents both have it
Used to be they would have to look like that. Not any more. My glasses look just like anyone elses, including re the thickness, and they are a newer option, trifocals
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Sounds like it shouldn't be too bad then huh?
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfriend
I got my bi-focals 18 years ago ... I was 13. So I hope it isn't a sign of old age! (Of course I've worn glass since I was about 4)
Catfriend
My eldest niece has been wearing bifocals since she was 21, so no, it's not always a sign of old age!
post #20 of 23
I started wearing bifocals at age 29 so I've had them nearly 20 years now!!! Mine was due to computer use and eye fatigue.
I don't have them in my prescription sunglasses though.
I have the "lined" bifocals vs the no-line. It seems people get used to one or the other. I cannot tell where my "line" really is. Whe I tried on some "no-line" it seemed there was a blurry section where the bifocal part started. It only took a day or too to get used to them but I do remember drving home with them on the first time it was hard to read the instrument panel on the car!!
post #21 of 23
Susie, I've had the darned things since I was in my early 20's too.....so definitely not a sign of old age!
post #22 of 23
I give my ex boyfriend a lot of crap because he's got jam jar glasses and he's only 16 but it's all tongue in cheek he knows I love him
post #23 of 23
There's nothing wrong with bifocals, there're completely normal. if he wants to see badly enough he'll wear them, besides now they make new bifocals that don't "stand out" as much as the older ones. I'm sure he'll find some great frames that match his face...my mom wears trifocals....and she has some that i like better than mine. he'll get over it when he appreciates the fact that he can see better. I am really nearsighted with an astigmatism in one eye...and i always find cute frames when i need to update my prescription. i'm sure it won't be as bad as he thinks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Jerry is getting old, or so he says.