New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Litter box dillema

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Can i move the litter box back into its rightful place now that the kittens are a week old? It goes in the kitchen under the table in the corner ( best place to keep it away from curious toddlers) Its been in my room sence 2 weeks before she had them, and now that they are a week old shes spending alot more time out of the nest. Most of it in the windows. she only goes in there to nurse them then leaves. So do you guys think its ok to move the stinky box outta my room.
I clean it every day, but everytime she goes, it gasses the whole room.
Im gonna change her food, but its the principle of the litter in my room thing that buggs me.
Thanks!
post #2 of 15
I was wondering the same thing. My kittens eyes are starting to open and I want to move them out of the closet too. I don't think they should be in the dark. I'm in the same boat with the litter box. It's horrible to wake up in the middle of the night to scratch, scratch, scratch, and then...THE SMELL
post #3 of 15
I think it would be OK but in a few weeks you will have to put it back. The mom teaches the kits to use it. Like show and tell. Either way you look at it you will be gassed again.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
bummer
Guess i need to figure out a REALLY good air freshner lol
post #5 of 15
I think thats another reason to get them out of my closet. I am going to wait until their eyes have opened (starting already) and move them all to the living room. If I have to smell it so does everybody else
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY
I think thats another reason to get them out of my closet. I am going to wait until their eyes have opened (starting already) and move them all to the living room. If I have to smell it so does everybody else
LOL I like this comment LOL
post #7 of 15
I kept the litter tray in its usual place downstairs when Tinkerbelle had her babies upstairs and she seemed fine with that as she was always going downstairs for a 5 minute break every so often.

I have bought a small litter tray for Tinkerbelle to teach the babies upstairs and will put that out in a week or so for them.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minxie
I kept the litter tray in its usual place downstairs when Tinkerbelle had her babies upstairs and she seemed fine with that as she was always going downstairs for a 5 minute break every so often.

I have bought a small litter tray for Tinkerbelle to teach the babies upstairs and will put that out in a week or so for them.

Oh thats a good idea, a small uncovered pan will be really inexpensive, then tazzies box can be out in the larger areas, large areas mean larger space to spread the stink!
post #9 of 15
If you can just move the litterbox, and leave the kittens in the closet, that would probably be best. My momma cats always wanted their kittens somewhere dark and safe, and I read somewhere that you should protect their eyes from bright lights for a while. If you move them, she may start moving them, too. (there's a lot of people here with that problem ! Mine spent at least 4-6 weeks in the closet (or somewhere similar). The small pan does work well for pottytraining.
post #10 of 15
Fabreeze makes the best air freshner. Its a new one they just same out with that plugs into an outlet.I love it!!! I never smell litterboxes anymore, Its the only thing I have found that takes care of the smell.I got the one in the green and white box.

Maybe it could help?
post #11 of 15
I do not recommend using fabreeze around very young, very old or sick animals.
Anything that puts off fumes (whether we can smell them or not) is very dangerous to delicate respiratory systems.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsallover
If you can just move the litterbox, and leave the kittens in the closet, that would probably be best. My momma cats always wanted their kittens somewhere dark and safe, and I read somewhere that you should protect their eyes from bright lights for a while. If you move them, she may start moving them, too. (there's a lot of people here with that problem ! Mine spent at least 4-6 weeks in the closet (or somewhere similar). The small pan does work well for pottytraining.
I wasnt planning on moving the kittens at all, just the stinky pan. Im gonna try changing her food and see if that helps, several people said it might, i really hope so.
post #13 of 15
Is there any way you can move Momma and kittens into a bathroom where they can begin using the litter box around 4 weeks old. It seems one day, they just figure it out, and they do need the box with them and to get comfortable climbing in and out until that day comes. Of course it will be around 3 weeks old when they start exploring.
The bathroom would be a place where it would be easy to clean up as well.
If you do take the litter box away, it will have to placed back in about 2 weeks, possibly less. Luckily kittens learn litter habits very quickly.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
i probably have the tinest bathroom in the world, and the only spare places is in front of the heater where my sons potty chair is, if that were moved, well he may never potty train. Creature of habit. I will put a small box in the closet with them when they get closer to the right age for litter training, there only 7 days now. So i think i should get away with a couple of nights without stinky cat leftover smell.

Unless its possible to put the cat and kittens under the sink, it wouldent work, and didnt think under the sink was a great place to be, she tried nesting there.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermoonmyst
i probably have the tinest bathroom in the world, and the only spare places is in front of the heater where my sons potty chair is, if that were moved, well he may never potty train. Creature of habit. I will put a small box in the closet with them when they get closer to the right age for litter training, there only 7 days now. So i think i should get away with a couple of nights without stinky cat leftover smell.

Unless its possible to put the cat and kittens under the sink, it wouldent work, and didnt think under the sink was a great place to be, she tried nesting there.
Say no more, my son who is now close to 6, potty trained very early, and was very much the same creature of habit. We had to keep things very routine and have no change. Only one potty, in only one place.
Is he still sitting on the potty or standing yet? My son only stayed sitting for a short time, he HAD to be like Daddy. I recommend trying very, very hard to get him to sit down for as long as you can. If your son does decide to use the independent streak at this moment and decides he HAS to stand up, then put cheerios in the potty for him to aim at, or it can be a nightmare scene the next morning when you go into your bathroom. LOL
I don't know if you would consider this option, but you could make a cat door in your closet door, where Momma cat could go and use the other litter box, and you can leave a small litter tray for the kittens in the closet. My adults won't fit into the small litter trays, and refuse to use them, but your Momma may decide that the small litter tray is just as great as any other litter box.
Good luck with the litter box ....and the potty training.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care