TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Another question about LitterMaid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another question about LitterMaid

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hey guys...

I've never even considered buying a LitterMaid, but from what I've read in various posts here, and my Hobbes ONLY liking a PRISTINELY clean litterbox, it sounds like a good idea.

So, a question...

How often does the Waste Recepticle Compartment need to be cleaned out? Is it a daily thing, or every other day?

I think my husband would like the idea of having a LitterMaid, too.

Another question...are they covered/hooded litterboxes? Is there litter IN the box where the kitties step, too?

Sorry for the many questions...they're just things I've been wondering about specifically.

Thanks for your patience!!
post #2 of 20
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I just watched a video about LitterMaid on their site...some answers to my questions...

1. It is not a covered/hooded litterbox.

2. There is litter for them to step on and to cover their "stuff" with.

Still haven't had the third question about how frequently the waste compartment needs to be dumped, but I guess that would be something I could just figure out for myself.

The box seems like a really good idea, because Hobbes refuses to go if there's any waste in the litterbox, which is silly, since it's almost NEVER withough NOTHING in there...lol!! I think we'll be buying that soon...
post #3 of 20
It really depends on how often your cats go. The kitten I had liked to go a lot. So I had to clean it out maybe every other day. But with more then one cat, I would say it would be at least once a day. But like they have mentioned you don't need to keep buying the containers they come with. You can just put a bag in the containment box. Or just do it like I did. I would just dump the litter in it out and put the container back for about 5 uses. Then I would switch it out.
post #4 of 20
I dont have one but have read up on them for your two cats I think it would be a weekly change the receptacle
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by frawri
It really depends on how often your cats go. The kitten I had liked to go a lot. So I had to clean it out maybe every other day. But with more then one cat, I would say it would be at least once a day. But like they have mentioned you don't need to keep buying the containers they come with. You can just put a bag in the containment box. Or just do it like I did. I would just dump the litter in it out and put the container back for about 5 uses. Then I would switch it out.
i have 3, for 4 cats, & i need to dump the contents of the container about every 3-5 days. i would think, with only 1 cat, you could go at least 3 days - unless he's a frequent goer, or has a large output.
post #6 of 20
I had one about 5 years ago, so I could be wrong. My memory is foggy at best. LOL But I just remember thinking man will this cat ever stop going. LOL I was taking care of him for a friend, so I didn't have the right to change his cat food. I think it might have been Purina cat chow. Any ways I had to change it out a lot, that’s what I remember. I am going to get a Litter Maid next week if we have it in our Wal-Mart.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Yep, I think we'll be jumping on the LitterMaid bandwagon soon, too! It sounds like the perfect solution to our Hobbes finickyness.

Not to mention, I told my husband about it over the phone (he's out of town working ), and he liked the idea...and he's always pretty hesitant about spending that much money on anything. So I think I'm in for a LitterMaid!! YAY!!
post #8 of 20
There is an automatic box that has a cover on it, but I don't know anything about it. I've actually been debating about getting one of these. It's just a lot of money!
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
There is an automatic box that has a cover on it, but I don't know anything about it. I've actually been debating about getting one of these. It's just a lot of money!
LOL...your signature saying made me laugh (about the potato chips)...that's adorable!!
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
There is an automatic box that has a cover on it, but I don't know anything about it. I've actually been debating about getting one of these. It's just a lot of money!
you can purchase a cover for the littermaid - i've just never had the need. the only reason i can see for it is to limit litter tracking from an enthusiastic digger. since my boxes are in closets, it's not that big of a deal.

eidted to add: BTW, don't bother with the paw cleaning ramp - my cats always enter the boxes from the sides, not the end. the one i have with a ramp - the only thing they've done on the ramp is pee on it
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227
you can purchase a cover for the littermaid - i've just never had the need. the only reason i can see for it is to limit litter tracking from an enthusiastic digger. since my boxes are in closets, it's not that big of a deal.

eidted to add: BTW, don't bother with the paw cleaning ramp - my cats always enter the boxes from the sides, not the end. the one i have with a ramp - the only thing they've done on the ramp is pee on it
Lol...that the only thing they've done on the rap is pee on it...I can just see mine doing the same thing.

Thanks so much for the advice!
post #12 of 20
I would want the cover because my Levi is "high shooter" and if there is not a cover it ends up behind the box. I don't know what his deal is, but he starts out squating, but as he's going his little tush raises in the air & out the back of the box it goes.
post #13 of 20
OK, Here's the box I was talking about. Anyone know about this one?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=10323
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
I would want the cover because my Levi is "high shooter" and if there is not a cover it ends up behind the box. I don't know what his deal is, but he starts out squating, but as he's going his little tush raises in the air & out the back of the box it goes.
Lol...aww, poor guy...that's cute, though, in some strange way.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
I would want the cover because my Levi is "high shooter" and if there is not a cover it ends up behind the box. I don't know what his deal is, but he starts out squating, but as he's going his little tush raises in the air & out the back of the box it goes.
i'm glad i don't have THIS problem!
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
OK, Here's the box I was talking about. Anyone know about this one?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=10323
i'm afraid that one is out of my price range. i think their other products are good, tho, so this one probably is, too.
post #17 of 20
OK, just found this one & had to add it because frankly it looks a little strange to me. (by the way they sell the Pet Mate one for cheaper on this site)
http://www.petguys.com/-029695227810.html
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27
OK, just found this one & had to add it because frankly it looks a little strange to me. (by the way they sell the Pet Mate one for cheaper on this site)
http://www.petguys.com/-029695227810.html
well...it's just over a foot in diameter. probably Cable could use it, but i think my others would find it rather cramped!
post #19 of 20
After I thought about it for a little while I decided against the automatic one due to Levi's lack of awarness as to where his pee is headed. I just know my luck, he'd probably pee on something important & cause it to short out.
post #20 of 20
I've seen several people return the Roundup to the store and buy the LitterMaid. Complaint is that the Roundup is too small.

I can't have a LitterMaid, hubby says I do a perfectly good job with my $3 litter scoop.

Amber
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Another question about LitterMaid