TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › car insurance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

car insurance?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
We are shopping around for insurance and I'm hoping I can get opinions from everybody here about which ones to avoid and which ones you have had a good experience with. thanks.

Allen
post #2 of 26
I must say that State Farm is the best if available in your area. Here are the reasons:

1.Rated #1 in claims service in North America
2.24/7 service..call in, walk in, or click in. Also if the local office is closed there is a central 1-800 number you can call in if you have any problems or questions.
3. Financially stable company who knows where their at. Will not go bankrupt. (Some new companies are cheaper in cost now, but once they start getting claims, they will have to increase rates.)

Seriously, I do admit, I work for State Farm..but I can honestly say, I have never witnessed a more friendly, helpful, capable company. They may be a couple bucks more a month..but if you ever have a claim..it is so worth it to get the service we give.

Let me know if you have any other questions..I am a licensed professional
post #3 of 26
I also have State Farm.
post #4 of 26
State Farm here too!

I get GREAT discounts (good student, no accident, ect) and I only pay like $70 a month for full coverage.

They are super nice and easy to deal with too!

Good luck!
post #5 of 26
I use Amerisure (Previously AMEX Insurance) through Costco. I had AAA before and liked the service, but just could not afford the insurance after so long.
post #6 of 26
So much depends upon your individual driving record, the kind of car, where you live, etc. etc. that it's tough to say yay or nay to any company. It's best to shop around for rates.
post #7 of 26
I have All State. I like them. They rates are good, they have different levels of service such as gold that means if you have one accident they won't increase your rates and platinum is 2 accidents and they won't increase your rates.
I had Geico with my parents before but they just wanted to charge me to much for insurance one my car. they wanted 110 a month for liability compared to All states 76 a month for liability, comp, and collision and that is on the gold plan with is a little more spendy.

My advise: research the company before you buy a plan. I took a day off of work and called every local office and got a quote and what it would cover before I called All State and bought!! Good luck!!
post #8 of 26
My parents use Geico (sp?) and every time I call them with a question or if I need them to fax something somewhere they have been super nice and friendly. One woman even knew about the small college I went to! I felt like i was talking with my grandma!
I don't know about how competative their rates are, though my dad loves to shop around, so he must feel like he got a good deal.
I would suggest shopping around and don't hesitate to play them off eachother. "well, so and so can give me this coverage for this rate, but I really like your company can you match this or do better?"
Develope a relationship with a rep and you'd be surprised at what they can do for you. My boss has Allstate and needed her winsheild replaced, which wasn't covered by her insurance. Her rep gave her the names of the cheapest vendors and told her to tell them that he sent her and then she would get an even better discount.

~Julia
post #9 of 26
The business that my DH works for offers a group plan (Met Life) and we haven't had any problems with them. However we might switch to American Family as that is where our home is insured through and we can get a home/auto discount. Yrs ago we were briefly with Liberty Mutual and I filed a complaint with the State of WI Insurance Comissioner against them.
post #10 of 26
[quote=I would suggest shopping around and don't hesitate to play them off eachother. "well, so and so can give me this coverage for this rate, but I really like your company can you match this or do better?"[/QUOTE]

You cannot negotiate with Insurance Companies..it's not like buying a car..The rates are the rates and we can't do anything about it. Just so you know.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
So much depends upon your individual driving record, the kind of car, where you live, etc. etc. that it's tough to say yay or nay to any company. It's best to shop around for rates.



The level of service the company gives has nothing to do with your driving record or the car you drive..I would urge anyone to compare levels of service as well and not just base your car insurance options on price.
post #12 of 26
Depends too...is your state a no fault state or based on your driving record/credit report? Your quote maybe be about average.
post #13 of 26
I've had State Farm for years and years and recommend them, although they are a bit pricey. THe agent relationship and service is what I like about it and am willing to pay for great service. I also like the fact I can pay montly without automatic debit - the other big companies I checked only did it that way. MD is an expensive insurance state and I dont want to do the $700 every six mns lump sum so the montly thing is important to me.

As with Allstate and some others, like Nationwide, I dont like the really big national companies. When you call it is to some huge calling center way out of state and I feel like a lost sheep. Geico is in all states but MA, but their call centers are regional so it is a bit more individualized.

I really like Geico and their rates have always been good.

I work for a trauma center....so I call all the auto ins companies reguarly. I base some of my opinions solely on how easy they are to work with and how interested they are in getting things right for their insured after being injured in a MVC. Also if their reps are nice. (hey, it is so competitive out there, I may as well be picky about service and niceness and not just rates).
post #14 of 26
I work in a Body Shop, and deal with several insurance companies regularly - (State Farm, Geico, Progressive, All State, ect.) and for car claims anyways, they are really helpful and really easy to work with! We've never had problems with them anyways!

State Farm has always been super helpful to me as well.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom
I must say that State Farm is the best if available in your area. Here are the reasons:

1.Rated #1 in claims service in North America
2.24/7 service..call in, walk in, or click in. Also if the local office is closed there is a central 1-800 number you can call in if you have any problems or questions.
3. Financially stable company who knows where their at. Will not go bankrupt. (Some new companies are cheaper in cost now, but once they start getting claims, they will have to increase rates.)

Seriously, I do admit, I work for State Farm..but I can honestly say, I have never witnessed a more friendly, helpful, capable company. They may be a couple bucks more a month..but if you ever have a claim..it is so worth it to get the service we give.

Let me know if you have any other questions..I am a licensed professional
I have USAA (available to the military and their dependents); however, my car was hit in a parking lot by someone who had State Farm. The claim was filed through State Farm.

I was thrilled at the level of service I got. They sent me to the same place that my car dealer recommended. The repair center contacted the car rental company and arranged for rides to and from their place. They did and excellent job and finished a day early. When I picked up my car, there was even a box of cookies left on the seat.

And I am not even a State Farm insured!
post #16 of 26
State Farm here - the only one better is Manufacturers but the hitch is that you have to work for a Manufacturing Company that offers it in order to join.
post #17 of 26
Well, in our opinion, Progressive is one of the best. Yes, Jerry does work for them, but we shopped and they were the best price for the most service. We no sooner got them and then I totaled my car. They had it all taken care of before I even knew what happened. Can't recommend them enough!
post #18 of 26
Please folks, let's remember to keep the posts in a positive vein. I have edited any posts that bash companies. Those types of posts leave TCS open for legal action.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat
I have USAA (available to the military and their dependents); however, my car was hit in a parking lot by someone who had State Farm. The claim was filed through State Farm.

I was thrilled at the level of service I got. They sent me to the same place that my car dealer recommended. The repair center contacted the car rental company and arranged for rides to and from their place. They did and excellent job and finished a day early. When I picked up my car, there was even a box of cookies left on the seat.

And I am not even a State Farm insured!


Aw, I feel like a proud mama!
post #20 of 26
I work in insurance too.. and I would say IMO Erie is the best if they are available in your state. I don't go for the big named like Allstate, State Farm, etc, because they are too big and spread the risk all around. The only thing about Erie is that it's good insurance at a good rate for good drivers, so if you have a ticket or a loss you may not qualify.

Also, when shopping for ins be sure to check your credit score and clean up before applying because credit checks are HUGE now, could make hundreds of dollars of difference within the same company.
post #21 of 26
They check your credit in the US to get car insurance? That's different..we don't do that here in Ontario.
post #22 of 26
well they don't always refer to it as credit checking, but they do use parts of your credit score to determine what sort of risk you are. Something about statistics.. but trust me, a lot of companies use it now.
post #23 of 26
Make sure you find out all the discounts you can get, too. They give discounts for lots of stuff, like good grades and such. And also make sure you get the right coverage. Don't get more than you need but don't get "minimum coverage" either because you end up paying way more if something happens.
I have State Farm renter's insurance, and I've never had to make a claim, but I like it alright.
I was in a really bad car accident once and the woman who hit us had Progressive, they did a good job of getting us a rental car and paying for the car which had been totalled. (We were in the middle of nowhere, too).
post #24 of 26
I have Progressive and pay about $600 a year for a '95 Geo. I like them alright, the first woman I talked too was really helpful when I was first getting my insurance. When I did hit someone later on (my first and only accident) I think they did pay for a rental car and all the damages...
post #25 of 26
I've never heard of a public MB getting in trouble for individuals posting their opinions about certain companies - esp. if is OK to only give positive slants (then perhaps TCS deserves some marketing $$)..

Weird. I post on 10 different MBs - which is how I heard the negative stuff about the company "that shant be named".
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetha
I have Progressive and pay about $600 a year for a '95 Geo. I like them alright, the first woman I talked too was really helpful when I was first getting my insurance. When I did hit someone later on (my first and only accident) I think they did pay for a rental car and all the damages...


Wow, $600 a year..that is super cheap!! Insurance is really expensive in Ontario..It sucks..I don't even get a discount and I sell the stuff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › car insurance?