Harley + Screen = New Climbing Toy!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This wasn't so much of a problem last summer cuz we only had gotten Harley in August, BUT....

Now he has realized that he can climb up our screen door when the glass sliding door is open
He has totally ruined it - it has marks in it and now a hole. Since we rent, we have to pay to replace a new one (they aren't spendy, but still) as soon as possible, I dont want my landlord to get mad that this happened!

Is there any way to keep him from climbing up there? He sees the birds and wants to get them, so he climbs up the screen! I tried saying NO in a stern voice, but that doesn't help. He's also been doing this on our bedroom windows too.

I really want to keep the door/windows open cuz its soo nice outside!

Any advice? I'm seriously willing to try ANYTHING!!

(Mods, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot
)

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mackenzie, my cats are so bad about this that we bought pet screen and replaced all the windows in the house with this tougher screen. We bought the tools to do the re-screening ourselves. It really does work. They still climb but the screen holds together better when I'm not there to redirect them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where can you get those pet screens? Are they any different looking than regular screens?

I just want something that I can replace at the apartment that my landlord wont notice

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to have do something to reinforce our screens too. This morning I heard a strange noise and went into the bedroom to find a certain crazy young male cat completely plastered to the screen. Kind of scary!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to Lowe's to get ours. It doesn't look any different just a stronger mesh. Lowe's didn't have a selection of screen on their website but this website talks about the screen. Lowe's and Home Depot will have it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I'm going to have do something to reinforce our screens too. This morning I heard a strange noise and went into the bedroom to find a certain crazy young male cat completely plastered to the screen. Kind of scary!
Its kinda funny to see them up there, but its not so funny to look @ my screen right now!

I wonder if Menards would have that kind of tougher screening?
We have Menards here in town, but now the other stores.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They should or at least recommend a tougher screen that you can use to replace what you have now.

I just installed a cat enclosure with a pre-made screened front door and this morning I found long claw marks in it. So I will be replacing it with stronger stuff this weekend.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

They should or at least recommend a tougher screen that you can use to replace what you have now.

I just installed a cat enclosure with a pre-made screened front door and this morning I found long claw marks in it. So I will be replacing it with stronger stuff this weekend.
Well at least I know that Harley isn't the only kitty that does this!

Is there any way to keep them from jumping on the screens?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anywhere has it, Menards would.
Are they anywhere but MN?
Zissou loves the screen but doesn't damage them...yet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Where can you get those pet screens? Are they any different looking than regular screens?

I just want something that I can replace at the apartment that my landlord wont notice
Mackenzie, i ordered some from here. it hasn't arrived yet - they had a 36"x7' section for 21.95 plus shipping.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only trick I've heard to keep kitties off of screen is to buy some trellis, cut it to size to the window or door that they climb on, and wedge that in front of the screen. Air still moves through, kitty and see out, but they can't get to the screen to break out or climb it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Mackenzie, i ordered some from here. it hasn't arrived yet - they had a 36"x7' section for 21.95 plus shipping.
That looks awesome - is it an actual screen door? or just something you put over the screen?

I'm seriously interested!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you could get Harley a pet bird? Wait, that would only be fun until he ate it five minutes later, right?

My aunt swears that her cats were going to drive her crazy. The "boys" weigh 21# & 23#(tiny little buggers
). They would literally rip her screens apart to get outside. She sprayed all of them down with vinegar & they hated the smell so much they quit climbing the screens. I dunno if it would work for Harley, but it might be worth a try.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Maybe you could get Harley a pet bird? Wait, that would only be fun until he ate it five minutes later, right?

My aunt swears that her cats were going to drive her crazy. The "boys" weigh 21# & 23#(tiny little buggers
). They would literally rip her screens apart to get outside. She sprayed all of them down with vinegar & they hated the smell so much they quit climbing the screens. I dunno if it would work for Harley, but it might be worth a try.
Thats a good idea.... but wouldn't that be a horrible smell when the wind came blowing through it?!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thats a good idea.... but wouldn't that be a horrible smell when the wind came blowing through it?!
My aunt never mentioned a stinky smell, but she's not one to complain(her husband wants to get rid of the cats, so she won't complain about anything regarding them). She would do anything for those two terrors. I am sure they would make Harley look like an angel.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My aunt never mentioned a stinky smell, but she's not one to complain(her husband wants to get rid of the cats, so she won't complain about anything regarding them). She would do anything for those two terrors. I am sure they would make Harley look like an angel.
Oh goodness!

I just don't want my apartment smelling like vinegar tho

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh goodness!

I just don't want my apartment smelling like vinegar tho
Maybe you could make a new scent out of it? Mmmmm....I can just smell it now!

Yeah, that plan might not work.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

That looks awesome - is it an actual screen door? or just something you put over the screen?

I'm seriously interested!
ok, it arrived over the weekend, & i haven't tried using it yet. it's a large piece of some sort of plastic-coated flexible screening, quite dark. i am planning to cut it to fit in the sections of my screen door that the ferals have clawed to pieces. you'd have to use it to replace screening in windows or doors, because it's just a big piece of stuff - but that's what i wanted & expected. seems pretty tough, just from looks & feel.