TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Pets protected with restraining orders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pets protected with restraining orders

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Maine is the first state to pass a law that allows pets to be protected under restraining orders.

See article here:
http://www.news4jax.com/family/8616842/detail.html

I wonder how many people stay in abusive relationships because they are worried about their spouse/ SO causing harm to their beloved pets? I am sure it happens

Do you think this is a good idea? I do, and I hope other states follow along.
post #2 of 14
That's why Zissou had to come home with me once...
It definitely happens, and its definitely bad. Yay for the restraining order!
post #3 of 14
That is excellent news! I hope that it is passed on a larger scale as well. I've heard far too many horror stories where pets were mistreated or killed by controlling exes.
post #4 of 14
Is this for a pet that has to stay in the home with the abuser?

I understand that many do not have a choice but I could not, in good conscience, leave an animal with an abuser. The animal may also be abused without notice (kicked or hit but without any physical marks) and the thought of this would be unbearable. Also, a restraining order is simply a piece of paper and is just not enough reassurance.

However, this is definitely a step in the right direction and I applaud the move.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Is this for a pet that has to stay in the home with the abuser?

I understand that many do not have a choice but I could not, in good conscience, leave an animal with an abuser. The animal may also be abused without notice (kicked or hit but without any physical marks) and the thought of this would be unbearable. Also, a restraining order is simply a piece of paper and is just not enough reassurance.

However, this is definitely a step in the right direction and I applaud the move.

I am not sure, but that wasn't my understanding of it... I thought it to mean that the abuser has to stay away from both the victim and the pet. For example, if a woman files a restraining order against her exhusband and leaves the home to go to work, the ex can't go near the family pet in the yard because it would be protected under the same restraining order.

I do agree that a restraining order is just a piece of paper and doesn't offer any real sense of security in the cases of both people and animals I would never be able to leave a pet in the hands of an abuser either. As you said this is a step in the right direction. At least they are acknowledging that pet abuse in these cases does exist.
post #6 of 14
Oh oK! That makes more sense then...Yes, its very typical in abusive situations for an abuser to harm or damage any of the possessions or animals of the one being abused.

Though I would also never leave my dog out in a yard all day either, especially in this situation!!
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
Oh oK! That makes more sense then...Yes, its very typical in abusive situations for an abuser to harm or damage any of the possessions or animals of the one being abused.

Though I would also never leave my dog out in a yard all day either, especially in this situation!!
Me neither! That was just an example of course I don't think I would even feel comfortable with a doggy door, and I am not even in a situation like that. (I guess that's a whole other topic though )
post #8 of 14
And my dogs weren't Brody-sized but were rather large dobermans or Dobe crosses but leaving them unsupervised leads to so many dangers (there were some poisonings here with meat thrown in the back yard, neighbourhood kids taunting etc..) ...Though I used to have a sign on my fence that said "my dogs can get to the fence in 2.2 seconds. Can you?" :

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...
post #9 of 14
I've been including my clients' pets in restraining orders for years. There's a part when you order the batterer not to trade, sell, damage...etc. the petitioner's property and our judges have always considered the petitioner's pets property, so it's been working out for us for a while. I'm so glad to see this happening nation-wide now, though. Definitely a step in the right direction!

This is the reason why I started Patriotic Paws....so that abuse survivors do not need to stay in an abusive home just because of the pet. They can go to the domestic violence shelter, their pet is fostered by a family who has already passed criminal background checks, and the abuse survivor (and their children) are reunited with their pet(s) when they have a safe place to live.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaimes
This is the reason why I started Patriotic Paws....so that abuse survivors do not need to stay in an abusive home just because of the pet. They can go to the domestic violence shelter, their pet is fostered by a family who has already passed criminal background checks, and the abuse survivor (and their children) are reunited with their pet(s) when they have a safe place to live.
That sounds like a great program. Good for you!
post #11 of 14
That Patriotic Paws sounds like a wonderful program.

I think it's about time they included pets in restraining orders and recognized their emotional value. A piece of paper may not provide real solid protection for that animal, but at the very least, it'll give some offenders pause before they take out their aggresion on them. And the victim will have more legal back-up to get that person punished for hurting the pet.
post #12 of 14
this is certainly a step in the right direction!
post #13 of 14
WAY TO GO AMY!!!
post #14 of 14
Now, if only Shelters for abused families would start accepting pets. THEN we'd be in business!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Pets protected with restraining orders