TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Yikes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yikes!

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Wow! I'm glad I'm about to switch my BC back to a brand name anyway!

The generic version of my BC got recalled last month...why you ask? Turns out that the first week pills didn't have enough levels in them and people were getting pregnant!

My day is full of surprises!
post #2 of 26


That'll hurt the percentage of that pills effectiveness.
post #3 of 26
OMG what was the name of it? I'm on a generic (freaking out!)
post #4 of 26
You must be on the same ones I was taking. Mine were swapped back to the brand as well, 2 months ago... Yikes is right! Thank goodness I found out the news while I was on my period, otherwise I would have been a nervous wreck
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichismom
OMG what was the name of it? I'm on a generic (freaking out!)
I guess since its in the news, I can say the name (if it gets deleted, I'm sorry TCS Administrators!). The BC is Tri-Nessa, generic for Ortho Tri Cyclen. It got taken off the shelves on 3/8/06 and there is another generic called Tri-Sprintic (?).
One warning sign is if you spot between periods, then you're on the generic that is bad.

I was going to switch anyway because I've been on it for 3-4 months and my mood levels are all out of whack! I was better on OTC!
post #6 of 26
YIKES!!

Um, I'm on generic stuff too - whats the brand!? I was just in the DR a year ago, I have to go back in August to get my prescription re-newed for another year, uh oh....
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
I guess since its in the news, I can say the name (if it gets deleted, I'm sorry TCS Administrators!). The BC is Tri-Nessa, generic for Ortho Tri Cyclen. It got taken off the shelves on 3/8/06 and there is another generic called Tri-Sprintic (?).
One warning sign is if you spot between periods, then you're on the generic that is bad.

I was going to switch anyway because I've been on it for 3-4 months and my mood levels are all out of whack! I was better on OTC!
Thats the one I use!! - Sprintic!!
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley
YIKES!!

Um, I'm on generic stuff too - whats the brand!? I was just in the DR a year ago, I have to go back in August to get my prescription re-newed for another year, uh oh....
You won't have to go back to the doctor. My pharmacy just switched it right back over to the name brand. If you are worried I would definately call them to make sure yours are fine. That's definately better than worrying for a few weeks that they aren't working
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle
You won't have to go back to the doctor. My pharmacy just switched it right back over to the name brand. If you are worried I would definately call them to make sure yours are fine. That's definately better than worrying for a few weeks that they aren't working
Well now that I've realized that my brand has been involved in this darn recall, I'm definately giving them a call!

I usually have to go back to the DR once a year to get my physical and then the DR gives me another year prescription, I wish I didn't have to go!
post #10 of 26
So its not the tri-nessa low? Thats what I take. Its still a little too close for comfort I might be having a talk with the pharmacist.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley
Well now that I've realized that my brand has been involved in this darn recall, I'm definately giving them a call!

I usually have to go back to the DR once a year to get my physical and then the DR gives me another year prescription, I wish I didn't have to go!
That's how mine works too.... But in this case it is just a switch to the brand name so a doctors visit more than likely won't be needed.

My problem with this case is that you guys are just now being notified of this. I found out 2 months ago... So over the past 2 months (at the very least) you guys could have become pregnant while thinking you were taking precautions not to... That really infuriates me This news should have been released in all the means possible. I am talking newspapers, tv, etc. It would have been nice if the pharmacies reviewed their records and made a phone call to all of their customers they were filling those prescriptions for. BC really isn't something to play around with.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichismom
So its not the tri-nessa low? Thats what I take. Its still a little too close for comfort I might be having a talk with the pharmacist.
I would call to be sure....
post #13 of 26
I switched recently too. Turns out the one I was using was causing a higher amount of blood clots and strokes than was originally thought due to higher than usual hormones. Its still on the market too.. I actually like the one I'm on now a lot better.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle
That's how mine works too.... But in this case it is just a switch to the brand name so a doctors visit more than likely won't be needed.

My problem with this case is that you guys are just now being notified of this. I found out 2 months ago... So over the past 2 months (at the very least) you guys could have become pregnant while thinking you were taking precautions not to... That really infuriates me This news should have been released in all the means possible. I am talking newspapers, tv, etc. It would have been nice if the pharmacies reviewed their records and made a phone call to all of their customers they were filling those prescriptions for. BC really isn't something to play around with.
I totally agree with you. On my break I'm going to call over to my pharmacy. If my BC is involved in the recall, I'm going to ask them WHY they had not contacted me - they better hope that its really not my brand or I'll change pharmacies!
post #15 of 26
I take it also, but I am well not active. I have only been with my hubby of 15 years. Now he is gone I plan to be a born again virgina. ok well I will try to stay that way. I can not imagin being with someone else. I do think that would explain why I have spoting in between. I had a check up Feb 2nd and she said everything was fine and it must be my hormonse from the loss of Chris. I think I need to call her. Thank you for the heads up.
post #16 of 26
Tri-Sprintic ruined my life. I was taking it for 8 months when I got sick(not as a BC pill, as another use ) My junior year in high school(I was 16), I got sick(no worries, not pregnant), missed the last 2 months of school....I'm 19 & still trying to straighten things out. I guess all of the doctors I saw contacted the company & they ignored it. I am still peeved at them for it. If someone gets sick off your pill, maybe you should pay attention!

Now that I got that out of my system, I sure feel awful for the people who found out the hard way their pills weren't working!
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley
Thats the one I use!! - Sprintic!!
I think Sprintic is still on the market and still considered safe. All I know of the Tri-Nessa that was recalled.

I know...I was looking through the calendar trying line up when I got my Rx last...it was the day BEFORE the recall. I do agree that the pharmacy should notify you somehow. Maybe I'll sign up with them online...I might get better notifications that way.

White Cat Lover - was yours physical situation or psychological (if you don't want to answer you don't have to)? I know when I was on Sprintec at first and hated it...actually both generics I do not like...I have very crazy mood swings from them. My doctor was ready to send me in for a depression tests when I up my history of BC (I was on one several years ago that made me cry every single day. It was horrible. I got off it right after a few months). Like I said earlier I called the pharmicist to switch me back to the brand name! OTC is the only one that has worked for me!
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
Maybe I'll sign up with them online...I might get better notifications that way.
I am signed up for email notifications... I get emails when something new comes out, but not for something important like this
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
I think Sprintic is still on the market and still considered safe. All I know of the Tri-Nessa that was recalled.
I called my pharmacy and my Sprintec is still okay - thank goodness!

I've never had any problems with this - its actually the only pill that I've been on that actually works (with the regulation, ect.)

I'm glad mine wasn't recalled - but I hope that all the people out there who do have recalls, find out b4 its too late!
post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle
I am signed up for email notifications... I get emails when something new comes out, but not for something important like this
OK thanks...

Anyone a computer programmers? Let's make some money and come up with a program that will allow this thing to happen for the public! $$$$$
post #21 of 26
I had a stoke Feb 13 and they said it was because I am overly stressed and my BP was so darn high. Yes I have hypertension but it was only prehypertention then all of a sudden it tries to kill me. I am wondering if it is linked to the generic BC I am on that regulates my periods now but when hubby was alive I used it for BC I just never stoped taking it. I had a exam done 2-8-06
post #22 of 26
Are you OK? WOW! I would really look into that
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz
I had a stoke Feb 13 and they said it was because I am overly stressed and my BP was so darn high. Yes I have hypertension but it was only prehypertention then all of a sudden it tries to kill me. I am wondering if it is linked to the generic BC I am on that regulates my periods now but when hubby was alive I used it for BC I just never stoped taking it. I had a exam done 2-8-06
My doc put me on extremely low-dose pills because of my high blood pressure, then I go in for a checkup four months later and she mentions that the low-dose pills are a less effective ! I didn't realize that, was extremely, uh, active during that time and I'm a horrible pill taker (don't take them at the same time everyday, and sometimes, ok, lots of times I forget I almost had a heart attack cause of that! put me on the regular dosage for pete's sake!
post #24 of 26
Quote:
My problem with this case is that you guys are just now being notified of this. I found out 2 months ago... So over the past 2 months (at the very least) you guys could have become pregnant while thinking you were taking precautions not to... That really infuriates me This news should have been released in all the means possible. I am talking newspapers, tv, etc. It would have been nice if the pharmacies reviewed their records and made a phone call to all of their customers they were filling those prescriptions for. BC really isn't something to play around with.
This makes me furious! It's not something you mess around with.
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277
My doc put me on extremely low-dose pills because of my high blood pressure, then I go in for a checkup four months later and she mentions that the low-dose pills are a less effective ! I didn't realize that, was extremely, uh, active during that time and I'm a horrible pill taker (don't take them at the same time everyday, and sometimes, ok, lots of times I forget I almost had a heart attack cause of that! put me on the regular dosage for pete's sake!
Wow! That's nuts! Talk about not really helping your high blood pressure!

I was told by a doctor that you don't have to take it at the SAME TIME everyday, they just say that so it'll help remind you to take the pill (it's 8 AM! I have to take my pill!)...just as long as you take one everyday you're still good!
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
Wow! That's nuts! Talk about not really helping your high blood pressure!

I was told by a doctor that you don't have to take it at the SAME TIME everyday, they just say that so it'll help remind you to take the pill (it's 8 AM! I have to take my pill!)...just as long as you take one everyday you're still good!
no kidding! well I've been on the pill for over 10 years and no babies, so I figure its working pretty good knock on wood!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Yikes!