TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Scientology
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scientology - Page 2

post #31 of 50
The guy who started it even said if you start a religion you will be rich... It's one big scam.. well that my pov anyway
post #32 of 50
Not eating meat on Fridays during Lent has nothing to do with fishermen and meat sellers. It developed purely as a way to practice penance and was never actually instituted by any of the Popes. Meat used to be the primary source of nutrition in the early years of Christianity, so giving it up was a pretty big deal. It is through that abstaining from something you really like, ie meat, you are able to better focus on the meaning of the Lenten season and to get closer to Christ. This also has it's roots in the bible (Daniel 10:1-3).

The whole forty days things comes straight from the Bible. Moses on the mountain, Ninevah's time to repent, Elijah's travels before his vision, etc. These guys were purifying themselves. People today are purifying themselves for the upcoming resurrection of Christ and trying to take on some suffering themselves.

I know this all still sounds totally weird though, just thought I'd offer some history

I think just about anything can look like a cult if you look at it hard enough. I guess a cult to me means that you are cut off from your family and friends and any independance or that you are forced to hurt yourself or others.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
That is a good point.

Sure Scientology has its faults. Look at Catholicism though. All practising Catholics are going through Lent right now and can't eat meat on Fridays. Why? Because during the time of the Reformation the Catholic Church was worried about losing members. So it struck up a deal with the fishermen saying that if they convert they would guarantee Catholics would buy fish. Catholics use to have to buy fish every day during Lent as Meat wasn't originally allowed. Why Lent? 40 days...Advent doesn't last that long.
Where did you get that from? Lent has nothing to do with deal with fishermen!?! It's a period of fasting, prayer, and penitence before Easter & it lasts 40 days because that was the length of the fast and temptation of Jesus in the desert. We give up red meat as a small sacrifice during the Lenten season.
post #34 of 50
I have a friend who studies religions and cults, and what I have read about Scientology from her research scares me. She is also a reporter; she and several of her colleagues have been "advised" to stay away from writing about the topic for their own good/safety. IMO, it's not just some silly little religion or the punchline of a joke. I wish I could post some of the things she's written but I don't want to out her.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnes
Where did you get that from? Lent has nothing to do with deal with fishermen!?! It's a period of fasting, prayer, and penitence before Easter & it lasts 40 days because that was the length of the fast and temptation of Jesus in the desert. We give up red meat as a small sacrifice during the Lenten season.
History Channel had it on a couple of years ago. It was a special about Lent and the "truths" if you will behind some of the rituals that Catholics do.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e
The quick burial requirement was in response to living in a hot, desert climate. Do you REALLY want a body lying around, rapidly decomposing and stinking?
Thanks! For someone from Michigan, it always seemed a bit odd...Now that you point that out, it really makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e
As for Islam, you're probably thinking about Ramadan. Muslims fast from sunup to sundown, for a full month. Many religions incorporate fasting into their traditions: Native Americans and many Christian sects practice this.
Thanks, I thought that was it, but I wasn't sure.

By the way, I'm really not trying to knock anyone else's religion down. A faith is something that you believe in, not necessarily fact or fiction. At one point in history, people truely believed in multiple gods. Now we live in a era where you believe that God is man or God is female, that there are many gods that there are no gods.

Religion is suppose to be what makes sense to you. You have a right celebrate its faith, but again I state that if you push your beliefs on me (or anyone else), then I have a problem.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat
The person who comes to mind is that idiot who is disrupting military funerals - not because he's fundamentally against the war in Iraq, but because the U.S. is "too tolerant" of homosexuals.
I'm sorry but that guy is weird beyond words but his logic to say the least make no sense at all!
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
.

Sure Scientology has its faults. Look at Catholicism though. All practising Catholics are going through Lent right now and can't eat meat on Fridays. Why? Because during the time of the Reformation the Catholic Church was worried about losing members. So it struck up a deal with the fishermen saying that if they convert they would guarantee Catholics would buy fish. Catholics use to have to buy fish every day during Lent as Meat wasn't originally allowed. Why Lent? 40 days...Advent doesn't last that long.
Nope you're wrong....During Lent Cathloics fast on Fridays to symbolize the suffering Jesus went through when he was in the desert without food or water. It is 40 days because that is how long he was in the desert for.
post #39 of 50
Interestingly, 40 days was a common measure for the writers of the Bible to demonstrate "a long time" and should not be taken literally, according to most bible scholars (the people who translate it and dedicate their lives to studying it). So the "40 days" is really symbolic. And there is a lot of historical evidence suggesting that the Catholic Church made an agreement with lots of different groups for the benefit of everyone. Just as Kosher, aside from its religious significance, protected people from disease before the age of refridgeration. It doesn't threaten your faith to realize that religious customs can have both spiritual significance, as observing Lenten customs does, as well as a practical origin.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
Nope you're wrong....During Lent Cathloics fast on Fridays to symbolize the suffering Jesus went through when he was in the desert without food or water. It is 40 days because that is how long he was in the desert for.
Check out www.spirithome.com/lent.html#givingup. Third paragraph down explains that you have two choices on Fridays. If you're Catholic and diabetic fasting on Friday is NOT good.

Anyhoo, back at hand about Scientology. Have we found the member that is a Scientologist?
post #41 of 50
Yes, where are you?
Please explain!
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom
Yes, where are you?
Please explain!
I'm curious about it too, but can you imagine being the only member of a religious (or not) group and trying to explain after everything that has already been said here? I would feel like I had already been put down enough if it were me.
post #43 of 50
True enough. I haven't said anything aside from that its probably very misunderstood and that the people we do hear from about it don't help the cause any. Which is why I'm interested in hearing from someone who knows what theyre talking about.
post #44 of 50
The Code of Cannon Law gives an exception for people who have an illness or are unable to fast for any other reason (ie too old, too young). I've known several vegetarian diabetics though, so for most people I don't think giving up red meat and chicken for a 24 hour period would be too difficult.

Yeah, I totally just hijacked! I just wanted to clear up some issues.
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom
Check out www.spirithome.com/lent.html#givingup. Third paragraph down explains that you have two choices on Fridays. If you're Catholic and diabetic fasting on Friday is NOT good.
Hey that's what Cathloics do during Lent, it's 1 day a week for what 1 1/2 months? No big deal.. just cut out the red meat for 24 hours. There are plenty of ways to get the iron and protein you need. Beides too much red meat is bad for you. Do I fast on Fridays? No because I forget half the time, does anyone make a big deal out of it.... nope...no one I know at least
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
Nope you're wrong....During Lent Cathloics fast on Fridays to symbolize the suffering Jesus went through when he was in the desert without food or water. It is 40 days because that is how long he was in the desert for.

I believe that both could be truths.. Its entirely possible that there was a sideline of convenience to religious ritual. Wouldn't be the first time.
There are many symbolic ideals and rituals that arose out of convenience or politics or money. Catholic religious leaders are famous for overwriting Pagan history (or any religion that came into conflict).
I am not knocking the Catholic church here but many modern followers aren't aware of the practices of Ancient followers or their motives and they have proven to be less than scrupulous at times..
post #47 of 50
I'm from a town just north of Clearwater, FL. The Church of Scientology has bought many buildings in downtown Clearwater and revitalized them for their use. Scientologists come from all over to attend classes and meetings and whatnot, including celebreties. When I was little, they were very easy to spot walking around because they all wore black pants or skirts and white tops. Now they mix in a little blue and khaki. My mother was quite critical of their religion and would point them out to me.

On a side note, my brother-in-law is a yacht captain and is friends with the yacht captain for the church. He filled in one day and drove John Travolta and his family around the bay. It was a father's day, and he didn't tip. Maybe he just doesn't carry cash.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus
I'm from a town just north of Clearwater, FL. The Church of Scientology has bought many buildings in downtown Clearwater and revitalized them for their use. Scientologists come from all over to attend classes and meetings and whatnot, including celebreties. When I was little, they were very easy to spot walking around because they all wore black pants or skirts and white tops. Now they mix in a little blue and khaki. My mother was quite critical of their religion and would point them out to me.

On a side note, my brother-in-law is a yacht captain and is friends with the yacht captain for the church. He filled in one day and drove John Travolta and his family around the bay. It was a father's day, and he didn't tip. Maybe he just doesn't carry cash.
That stinks that he didn't tip!
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus
I'm from a town just north of Clearwater, FL. The Church of Scientology has bought many buildings in downtown Clearwater and revitalized them for their use. Scientologists come from all over to attend classes and meetings and whatnot, including celebreties. When I was little, they were very easy to spot walking around because they all wore black pants or skirts and white tops. Now they mix in a little blue and khaki. My mother was quite critical of their religion and would point them out to me.
You know, I was driving by one of the local Expo Centers and noticed that sometime in April there was an exhibit for the Church of Scientology. I thought it was a little odd for a religious group that likes to keep their religion quiet, but they're having an exhibition for it....actually I take that back. Other than word of mouth they may be doing this to recruit members.
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
many modern followers aren't aware of the practices of Ancient followers
Yeah people aren't "aware" because they don't care. They go to church because it's habit, because Mom said so, or it's a holiday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Scientology