TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Kneading
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kneading

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
My largest cat has started a strange ritual before lying down on my bed. He'll knead the bedding with both his front and hind legs with his back sort of arched... and he'll do this for a long time before he finally settles in. He just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. He does not "knead" me or do any of that other kitten-y type of behavior (he's four years old). Anyone else's cat do this?
post #2 of 17
Oh yes! Cats do this when they're really happy or content. He might even do this if he's on your lap...so be prepared. It's something kitties do when they're nursing...helps to bring the milk out for them to drink from their mamas.

My kitties never really did it except when they were really young (about four weeks), but have recently started to do it sometimes (and they're almost two years). It's just a sign that he's a VERY happy and content little kitty!
post #3 of 17
Our cat loves to do this..she kneads anytime she's about to lay down on the top of the couch on her blanket..she does it pretty much anytime she lays down near us..

(my boyfriend thinks it seems perverted..I tell him its normal)
post #4 of 17
every cat Ive ever had does this..its fine except when they get so into their "kneading zone" that they start to drool. Thats really gross
post #5 of 17
most cats knead it is nothing unusual
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw999
every cat Ive ever had does this..its fine except when they get so into their "kneading zone" that they start to drool. Thats really gross
Not all cats drool when they're really happy.. I do know my friend's cat that has an overbite drools sometimes when she's very happy though. Anyways my cats have never drooled though. I think it just depends on the cat

And the kneading thing....yeah....like everyone has said, it's normal. And it's good too! It means they're really really happy. When cats were kittens, they kneaded for more milk. So when they knead the blanket, they want to stay happy, or maybe be pet more. This is what I've heard; I think it makes sense.
post #7 of 17
my Russian blue mix Natasha kneads and drools. She's my little drippy cat. I think it's cute but a little messy.
post #8 of 17
Harley only kneeds on our fleece blankets - but he never drools!
post #9 of 17
Sam is kneading my leg right at this moment.
I didn't realize it was because he was feeling happy! I thought it was just some instinctual... thingy. It sort of hurts because I haven't trimmed his claws in awhile. oops.
post #10 of 17
When they are first born, kittens are both blind and deaf. They associate absolutely everything with scent and feel. They immediately learn to associate the vibrations of their mother's purr and to identify her scent. Once at a nipple, not only do they knead to help stimulate the milk flow, but also to deposit their own scent at that particular nipple (they have scent glands in their paw pads) and mark it as their own. They always go back to that one nipple.

So kneading is a multi-purpose activity depending on the age of the cat. *smile* In kittens, it is a survival mechanism and in older cats, it is a marking behavior. I personally think it is one of the highest forms of compliment a cat can pass to a human - they are essentially telling all of the rest of the cats in the whole world that YOU are ~their~ human.
post #11 of 17
Mister kneads my arm pretty much everyday while sitting on my lap.

That's when we sing, he kneads me because he needs me....
post #12 of 17
I had a foster who would knead on my boyfriend's croth before going to sleep. Never kneaded on anything else. Was a weird little kitty.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonOddity042
I had a foster who would knead on my boyfriend's croth before going to sleep. Never kneaded on anything else. Was a weird little kitty.
So kneading really is a multi-purpose activity which is pleasant for cats, but also for boyfriends. *ROFL*
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef
I personally think it is one of the highest forms of compliment a cat can pass to a human - they are essentially telling all of the rest of the cats in the whole world that YOU are ~their~ human.


awww yay.
this really made my night, because I've had Samuel for a couple of months now and I've always been curious as to whether he had really bonded to me or if he was just a friendly guy.

Looks like i'm his special lady.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef
So kneading really is a multi-purpose activity which is pleasant for cats, but also for boyfriends. *ROFL*
I never thought of it that way before that happened the first time.
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
So I guess my guy is ok... I was just concerned because he just started doing this recently. It looks like he's trying to "prepare" his bed in some way... but it sounds like he's just happy. Maybe it's the Feliway I just started using...

thanks!
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgicat
So I guess my guy is ok... I was just concerned because he just started doing this recently. It looks like he's trying to "prepare" his bed in some way... but it sounds like he's just happy. Maybe it's the Feliway I just started using...

thanks!
I would be willing to bet it's directly related to your starting to use! Sounds like he's already become much more relaxed...good job!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Kneading