TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Credit card offers and junk mail
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Credit card offers and junk mail

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Heidi's thread on identity theft made me think of this. How do you dispose of that type of junk mail? Do you shred, tear it up, just throw it in the trash, etc?

I am extremely paranoid about this and destroy every piece of junk mail that has our name and address on it. In our old house, we had a wood stove, so I used to burn them all. Now, I am the shredding queen.

What do you do?
post #2 of 27
I shed everything, including store receipts that I have the store card for!
post #3 of 27
I cut everything up right now. I don't have a paper shredder yet. We have had a problem with catching the neighbor lady going through our mail! She dropped it and ran down her driveway when we pulled up but it makes me paranoid for sure. We also burn our trash anyways but I still try to be on the safer side!
post #4 of 27
I also shred everything...you can call the company and ask them to take you off their list.....we have had to do that for some because they would send us numerous amounts of mail.
post #5 of 27
Does anybody tear all of your ID information out of it and return their junk to them in the self address, stamped envelope? I heard it costs them money if you do it?
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN
Does anybody tear all of your ID information out of it and return their junk to them in the self address, stamped envelope? I heard it costs them money if you do it?
I have never hear of that! LOL It costs them money to send it to us in the first place. I might have to try sending it back though!
post #7 of 27
I give it to my dog.
There isn't a paper he's met that's lived to tell the tale
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom
I have never hear of that! LOL It costs them money to send it to us in the first place. I might have to try sending it back though!

My friend says he does it and it costs them everytime because of the self address envelope. I'm not sure if they really have to pay or not, but someone has to open that junk on their end.


Just make sure you tear anything out so they can't identify you.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
I give it to my dog.
There isn't a paper he's met that's lived to tell the tale


post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN
My friend says he does it and it costs them everytime because of the self address envelope. I'm not sure if they really have to pay or not, but someone has to open that junk on their end.


Just make sure you tear anything out so they can't identify you.

Good idea I am going to have to try that
post #11 of 27
I was offered a credit card by one company and I accepted it n hopes of a big balance. It came and the balance was so small I never activated it. NOW I get almost 2 a day from them offerng me a card. The envelps says something like PLEASE DONT destroy but I just toss it
1
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Some of these are very creative
post #13 of 27
I use sissors to cut all my mail that has ID information, although I dont get alot.

I used to shred it when I lived with my sister.
post #14 of 27
I immediately put them in my nifty cross cut shredder. There is no way anyone could piece together those itty bitty shreds of paper!
post #15 of 27
I got really tired of shredding.
Now I dampen papers, with my personal info. on them, with water rip them up and toss them in a trash bag.

When I am ready to put the bag out for collection, I open bags of cat pee balls and poop that I have saved in a separate can and dump it all together in one messy, gloppy bag.

If a crook is desperate enough to deal with that mess, then more power to the poor slob.
post #16 of 27
I rip mine into eeny meeny tiny shreds.........such a waste of paper!
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats
I got really tired of shredding.
Now I dampen papers, with my personal info. on them, with water rip them up and toss them in a trash bag.

When I am ready to put the bag out for collection, I open bags of cat pee balls and poop that I have saved in a separate can and dump it all together in one messy, gloppy bag.

If a crook is desperate enough to deal with that mess, then more power to the poor slob.
Wow, that's creative! That could be keeping you busy right now that you're bored!
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats
I got really tired of shredding.
Now I dampen papers, with my personal info. on them, with water rip them up and toss them in a trash bag.

When I am ready to put the bag out for collection, I open bags of cat pee balls and poop that I have saved in a separate can and dump it all together in one messy, gloppy bag.

If a crook is desperate enough to deal with that mess, then more power to the poor slob.
That is great!
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats
I got really tired of shredding.
Now I dampen papers, with my personal info. on them, with water rip them up and toss them in a trash bag.

When I am ready to put the bag out for collection, I open bags of cat pee balls and poop that I have saved in a separate can and dump it all together in one messy, gloppy bag.

If a crook is desperate enough to deal with that mess, then more power to the poor slob.



I hope no one is THAT desperate!!
post #20 of 27
I shred it all.

I used to work with a teacher who did the 'flag up' thing on his mailbox with outgoing mail, bills included. His mail with checks was stolen from the box and so was his identity.
post #21 of 27
Luckily we don't get that stuff in NZ. Or at least not what i've seen.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom
I cut everything up right now. I don't have a paper shredder yet. We have had a problem with catching the neighbor lady going through our mail! She dropped it and ran down her driveway when we pulled up but it makes me paranoid for sure. We also burn our trash anyways but I still try to be on the safer side!
You need to report that woman to the Postal Inspector - what she was doing is a FEDERAL OFFENSE.
post #23 of 27
Any credit card offers, I take the part of the application off with the codes with my name & shred that part, in case someone decided to send it in. Everything else just goes in the recylcing. I don't worry so much about name & address, just credit card offers w/apps and stuff w/ account numbers.
post #24 of 27
What is the world coming to? Why is it that we now have to worry about identity theft? And it's not an uncommon occurance either!
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN
Does anybody tear all of your ID information out of it and return their junk to them in the self address, stamped envelope? I heard it costs them money if you do it?
That's exactly what I do. I write a big "NO THANKS" across it and send it back to them.

And honestly, as long as the mail doesn't have any personal information outside my name and address, I just toss it into the recycle bin. If anyone sends it in and that company sends them a credit card with my name on it, I never signed for it, never authorized and, and if there is fraud, its the credit card company's problem, not mine.

Mail with actual account numbers gets burned in the fireplace.

Here's another idea for folks without shredders or fireplaces: Save all the documents that you would normally shred or burn and stick them in the middle of the dirty litter that you dump in your garbage can. Anyone that goes thru the trouble of shifting thru dirty cat litter deserves an account number now and again! LOL
post #26 of 27
At least 5 minutes of my day is spent sorting the junk mail into the shred pile, the recycle pile and the toss in garbage pile. Always shred everything with personal info, even if it is junk.

Want a method to get much more of your common share of junk mail? Open up several accounts for internet domain names and hosting. You won't believe what they'll begin sending you. They sell your personal info to everybody. That's why domains and hosting is so cheap these days.
post #27 of 27
We burn the stuff with personal info on it. My CC got hacked last spring and out CC company replaced. But this Dec the company that I used to work for was hacked and data on 70000 current and past employees compromised. So I'm on a special credit bureau service for 90 days at a time (must renew this month)that has a warning on a CB!!
It will be interesting to see that now I have started my own business how much junk mail comes. When DH set up our LLC a couple of yrs ago for the farm we get lots of "stuff". Oh Goody!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Credit card offers and junk mail