Well it wasn't as good news as I could hope for. Basically, we have our plan for treatment, a diagnosis & prognosis, and a recheck exam for 2 1/2 weeks for now...which we may not make. We have her opinion on when the situation would suggest pts as being appropriate, and I hope we don't meet the parameters. It's going to be day by day.
In the good news department, she agreed it wasn't time now, worth treating, and he's gained 5 ozs in less than a week.
It just hurts to hear that the best prognosis is for a short time more with him.
We'll see. Our boy is perkier and healthier than he's been since last Fall, except for this aging eye which has lost it's integrity (the eye looks pretty normal to you or I, but has had a rupture that is sealed at the moment...it's a question of the seal holding or if the eye will continue to have ruptures.) Sounds gross but honestly, all we see is a bit of discharge and what looks like mucous on his eye.
The past 3 years since he was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure, then over a year ago, diagnosed with ibd or lymphoma (we went so far as an u/s but were not going to put him through anesthesia and a biopsy), it's all been a "he could go at any time". That has been hard...I haven't wanted to be sad around him day by day, and have managed not to be but this has been a real exercise in patience (my day is now on a every 3 hour schedule arranged around his meds and feedings) and in leaving the heart wide open loving him though it would be "safer" to pull back my heart a bit.
He has been an exceptional companion in my life, and I can do no less than to continue to celebrate his life and his specialness now at almost 19 and in poor health as much as when he was a healthy, sassy, oh so special kitten.