or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Ringworm: Has anyone tried this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ringworm: Has anyone tried this?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
A local rescue got 4, 4-week old Siamese kittens dumped by a kitten mill. They are now 9 weeks old, and have rhino and eye infections. They also have ringworm, but because of their condition, traditional treatment for the ringworm cannot be used.

I just read this anecdotal account from a breeder. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Any comments welcome!

I decided to try something new. I diluted Clorox (bleach, 5% sodium hypochlorite) with 5-10 volumes of water. (I didn't measure) Using a Q-Tip, in the dark, under the UV light. I dabbed the spot. I was astounded to see the fluorescence disappear in 10 seconds. I washed the spot with water to remove the Clorox. I was even more astounded the next day to see that the lesion had disappeared. After 3 weeks, no hair loss, no additional spots. I also mopped the floor with Clorox (4oz/gal).

I regret that I didn't get a culture to prove that it was really ringworm. But from prior experience I am 99% sure that it was. If anyone else has success with this technique I would appreciate feedback. It was a small spot, just 1/4 x 1/2 inch. I would not advise using such a strong Clorox as a general bath. However a greater dilution for a longer time might be suitable. Obviously, the key here is following the disappearance of the fluorescence under UV light.

Update (Nov. 16, 2005): Clorox (bleach) works very well. Many people have had success with this method. 2-3 treatments diluted by 5 or 10 parts of water should do it. Just be sure to wash it off very well with water.
post #2 of 15
Bleach is extremely toxic to cats so I would never advocate using bleach in any concentration for any purpose. The writer admits to not even measuring the dilution...scary.

A completely safe way to combat RW is with a topical anti-fungal cream containing 2% or more of micanazol nitrate (like the generic version of Monistat cream) dabbed on twice a day. Keep away from eyes. It works well, and isn't toxic. Your vet can confirm this.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thank you!
post #4 of 15
The person does say it was a very small spot. Only applied once. And then immediately rinsed. Anyone else who wants to try this at home should take note of that.
post #5 of 15
It's true the writer refers to treating a small spot. We also don't know who this person is and we can't question them. I work for a cat rescue group and i see ringworm all the time and in all the many discussions with our vets on RW treatment not one has ever suggested using bleach in any concentration.

[edit] typo
post #6 of 15
Lyme dips can't be done?
post #7 of 15
When I lived in South Carolina, I heard of bleach or bleach solution being used on people for ringworm. I knew one person with a scar left...whether from the bleach or ringworm I'm not sure.

Personally, I wouldn't try bleach solution on a cat.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the input. I'm very anxious to adopt one of these babies, but cannot do so while they have ringworm. All I've read says it takes months to cure, so I guess I was hoping for a miracle!

I have forwarded stephenq's advice to the rescue housing these kittens.
post #9 of 15
I had to research this not too long ago because I thought my Mellie might have ringworm (she didn't) so I can tell you that resolving ringworm can be speeded up with a systemic medication. Griseosulvin, if I spelled it right. However, it is expensive and there are potential serious side effects. You might want to discuss it with your vet if the ringworm is a serious problem.
post #10 of 15
There really is no compelling reason why you can't adopt cats that have a case of ringworm so long as you don't have young children in the home or people with compromised immune systems. For the rest of us, it isn't dangerous at all, just a little unsightly, and sometimes itches. It can usually be treated in a couple of weeks (sometimes longer), and as a rule people seem to panic about it disproportionately. It's just a fungus like athletes foot (more or less).

Cat's can also be safely treated with Program, a flea medication (a chewable pill taken twice, 2 to 4 weeks apart) that studies show can be very effective against RW and has been discussed in publications like Cat Fancy, and Catnip, the Tufts Vet School of Medicine newsletter.

And yes to the other poster, Solarity Bengals, Lyme dips are also ok.

In any case, good luck!
post #11 of 15
i have had 2 cats with ringworm. both cats were treated with program which works very well but it takes time to work and it also costs a lot of money. i also gave them antifungal baths to help treat it.

the basic thing was that it all takes time for the ringworm to be treated. i mopped my floors with clorox and confined the cats who were infected to the bathroom. i stripped the bathroom clean of whatever didn't need to be in the bathroom and used it as an isolation ward.

i had to go to the doctor to get myself treated...i had marks allllllllll over. i was given oral as well as topical medications. they work but it takes time for the ringworm to completely go away.

the bottom line...before you bring a cat home have your vet check for ringworm; mine uses an UV lamp to look for the lesions. they glow in the lamp.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
That doesn't sound like much fun, churchbug!

The thing is that I have an indoor feral cat who could not be treated if she contracted the ringworm since I can't handle her.

Even if I confined the new kitten, wash my hands after touching her, couldn't I spread the fungus to the other animals even by hairs on my clothes?
post #13 of 15
I agree treating an indoor feral would be difficult - perhaps the only method would be with the chewable pill Program. Yes you can disinfect your hands with a 10% bleach solution (rinse well with water) to reduce the chance of it spreading. Yes its hardy in the environment so it can spread other ways, but it is unpredicatably contagious. One person may have a bad reaction (lots of welts), another person foew or none, same for cats.

I brought RW home from my shelter at least twice. On both occasions i had a single welt. The other human never cought it. One of the cats caught a mild case in one instance, neither cat caught it in the second instance. I've also seen people who get many welts. Note, when i get a welt i cover it with a bandaid and saturate the spot with anti-fungal cream and keep it covered in cream 24/7 for about 3 days straight and that does a lot.

Re: using a UV lamp, it works in about half the cases, but about 50%+/- of the spores don't glow under it.
post #14 of 15
What I meant was the poster said they couldn't treat the ringworm due to other conditions, but lyme dips shouldn't interfere should they? If you can do lyme dips then you are on the way to recovery with the kits. I think doing the lyme dips was one of the worst things I have ever done to a kitten but in a few weeks they were completely free of it. In the meantime I got a patch on my leg but, like you said its easy to treat with humans with an OTC antifungal and its gone in no time.
post #15 of 15
I've heard of using Viralis (Sp?), it's a jelly type supplement you can get from a vet. It's just a L-Lysine supplement, but I've heard of some shelters using it to prevent ring worm. My vet perscribed some the last time Jordan had a URI that was viral.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Ringworm: Has anyone tried this?