TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 6-Year-Old Accused Of Sexual Harassment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6-Year-Old Accused Of Sexual Harassment

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
http://www.nbc10.com/education/6836257/detail.html
post #2 of 27
This is a local news story for me. It's been all over the TV for the past 2 days.

I disagree with the suspension. They should have sat the little boy down and explained to him that he shouldn't touch the little girl, but not suspend him. C'mon, he's six!
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom
This is a local news story for me. It's been all over the TV for the past 2 days.

I disagree with the suspension. They should have sat the little boy down and explained to him that he shouldn't touch the little girl, but not suspend him. C'mon, he's six!

I agree. between this, and plans to ban dodgeball and tag, what's next? Arresting newborns for touching womens' breasts?
post #4 of 27
That is crazy. Seriously, a 6 year old doesn't even know what sexual harrassment even IS! How could they accuse him of it? I agree that they should have just told him he shouldn't touch her like that. He didn't understand, they were just playing around like regular kids!! How could they do that?!
post #5 of 27
Oh good lord! Has the world really gone that wacko???? Seriously!! He's 6. He didn't grope her, he didn't do something overtly sexual to her. I'm sure he doesn't understand what he did that was so wrong!

My other question is - did the little girl think anything was wrong with their playing? Or was it the teacher/school official who vastly overreacted?
post #6 of 27
Little boys and girls touch each other - Its how we learn about the opposite sex!

I'm sure most people have played kiss and catch at some stages in their childhood!!

I mean for goodness sake, this is just ridiculous!!
post #7 of 27
What????!!! Guess the girl's folks must have some political clout, or other somesuch nonsense! I hope that the mom finds a good attorney to get her some justice - that poor little boy was so traumatized by this, scared when the phone rings, etc....
post #8 of 27
Hummm Arent schools supposed to be teaching??? I think that was insane and would if it happened in my area make sure all the school"officals " involved were dealt with ...
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiecat3
That is crazy. Seriously, a 6 year old doesn't even know what sexual harrassment even IS! How could they accuse him of it? I agree that they should have just told him he shouldn't touch her like that. He didn't understand, they were just playing around like regular kids!! How could they do that?!
Although by this report it sounds like these children were just playing...a 6 year old can actually be a sexual predator. Sadly enough, I worked at a school where there was a special group of kids called SST, which stands for Special Six to Twelve. They were six to 12 year old sexual predators. Obviously, they had been sexually abused themselves, but they also were sexual predators for others.

I was warned not to turn my back on one boy, as he could grope a woman without her feeling a thing. These boys were segregated, and went to special classes, with boys only. They lived in a house with boys only, too. Although the adults were both male and female, we had to be very careful not to allow them to abuse. They were cared for lovingly, but the focus was on helping them relearn human interaction, without the sexual power struggles they had been taught by their history of abuse.

Very sad to see these beautiful children, and know they had been so "messed up". However, they did have some success with these boys. Eventually some of them would graduate to being able to live in a co-ed home, and have real friendships with both girls and boys.

Sorry for the thread hijack! While innappropriate touching cannot be allowed in school, at 6 I would think you would just call in both sets of parents, and have them talk to the kids. As others have posted, these things happen. However, the boys mother says "I was crying...I was out of control" and that she screamed. I have a feeling her overreaction to the school's overreaction didn't help the boy at all. He seems to be surrounded by loons!
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Although by this report it sounds like these children were just playing...a 6 year old can actually be a sexual predator. Sadly enough, I worked at a school where there was a special group of kids called SST, which stands for Special Six to Twelve. They were six to 12 year old sexual predators. Obviously, they had been sexually abused themselves, but they also were sexual predators for others.

I was warned not to turn my back on one boy, as he could grope a woman without her feeling a thing. These boys were segregated, and went to special classes, with boys only. They lived in a house with boys only, too. Although the adults were both male and female, we had to be very careful not to allow them to abuse. They were cared for lovingly, but the focus was on helping them relearn human interaction, without the sexual power struggles they had been taught by their history of abuse.

Very sad to see these beautiful children, and know they had been so "messed up". However, they did have some success with these boys. Eventually some of them would graduate to being able to live in a co-ed home, and have real friendships with both girls and boys.

Sorry for the thread hijack! While innappropriate touching cannot be allowed in school, at 6 I would think you would just call in both sets of parents, and have them talk to the kids. As others have posted, these things happen. However, the boys mother says "I was crying...I was out of control" and that she screamed. I have a feeling her overreaction to the school's overreaction didn't help the boy at all. He seems to be surrounded by loons!
Wow, that is very sad! I never would have thought 6 year olds could become sexual predators. It's nice to hear they're trying to be helped though.

And I see your point about the overreacting thing. That's what I thought too. It only causes the poor boy more emotional trouble. Though it's probably very hard, his mother should try to calm down for her son's sake right?
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Although by this report it sounds like these children were just playing...a 6 year old can actually be a sexual predator. Sadly enough, I worked at a school where there was a special group of kids called SST, which stands for Special Six to Twelve. They were six to 12 year old sexual predators. Obviously, they had been sexually abused themselves, but they also were sexual predators for others.

I was warned not to turn my back on one boy, as he could grope a woman without her feeling a thing. These boys were segregated, and went to special classes, with boys only. They lived in a house with boys only, too. Although the adults were both male and female, we had to be very careful not to allow them to abuse. They were cared for lovingly, but the focus was on helping them relearn human interaction, without the sexual power struggles they had been taught by their history of abuse.

Very sad to see these beautiful children, and know they had been so "messed up". However, they did have some success with these boys. Eventually some of them would graduate to being able to live in a co-ed home, and have real friendships with both girls and boys.

Sorry for the thread hijack! While innappropriate touching cannot be allowed in school, at 6 I would think you would just call in both sets of parents, and have them talk to the kids. As others have posted, these things happen. However, the boys mother says "I was crying...I was out of control" and that she screamed. I have a feeling her overreaction to the school's overreaction didn't help the boy at all. He seems to be surrounded by loons!
Good reply. I've heard that kids that young can be predators too, which is quite depressing in itself. Nevertheless, I don't think the school handled it well and neither did the mother. Then everyone overreacts to everyones' overreactions because they really don't know enough. That article had really no insight into anything, especially considering such a sensitive subject. It just begs for more questions (that weren't posed in the article) of what exactly went on with the two children, yet doesn't effectively answer them with a fourth or even fifth-hand account of what supposedly happened. It seems to be more of an example of poor journalism than anything.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Hummm Arent schools supposed to be teaching??? ...
I must admit that this is what crossed my mind too. Surely one of the teachers could have explained to the boy about why it was wrong. They shouldn't expect him to know about things like that at his age.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Although by this report it sounds like these children were just playing...a 6 year old can actually be a sexual predator. Sadly enough, I worked at a school where there was a special group of kids called SST, which stands for Special Six to Twelve. They were six to 12 year old sexual predators. Obviously, they had been sexually abused themselves, but they also were sexual predators for others.

I was warned not to turn my back on one boy, as he could grope a woman without her feeling a thing. These boys were segregated, and went to special classes, with boys only. They lived in a house with boys only, too. Although the adults were both male and female, we had to be very careful not to allow them to abuse. They were cared for lovingly, but the focus was on helping them relearn human interaction, without the sexual power struggles they had been taught by their history of abuse.

Very sad to see these beautiful children, and know they had been so "messed up". However, they did have some success with these boys. Eventually some of them would graduate to being able to live in a co-ed home, and have real friendships with both girls and boys.

Sorry for the thread hijack! While innappropriate touching cannot be allowed in school, at 6 I would think you would just call in both sets of parents, and have them talk to the kids. As others have posted, these things happen. However, the boys mother says "I was crying...I was out of control" and that she screamed. I have a feeling her overreaction to the school's overreaction didn't help the boy at all. He seems to be surrounded by loons!
Boy you got that right Girl!
Children who molest had to learn it somewhere!
Although THIS case does`nt seem to be a molest case to me at all....and trust me, I`d say so if I thought it was, as i was molested as a child.
I think the adults (Mom and school officals alike) all ought to be made to get some counseling on this one. They don`t even seem to have a clear idea on what molestation IS or IS NOT......and they are waaaaay overreacting. I`m afraid they have made this such an issue with this little boy that he could develope problems from their actions. If this child needs counseling, it`s probably because of their stupidity!
Linda
post #14 of 27
wow Beckiboo...I guess I never knew that children could molest.

I always took it as mom and dad did stuff in from of their kids that probably a child shouldn't see. I remember when I use to babysit (WAY back when), some new kid I was babysitting for reached up my shirt and grabbed my boob. I looked at him and said he's not suppose to do that to other people. I told the mom about it, and she suddenly realised it was because the dad would do that to her and well...must be the kid saw it and thought it was normal.
post #15 of 27
post #16 of 27
I suppose I should have qualified my statement, because while I don't have any experience with them I do know that children can be taught through actions to do very inappropriate things.

However, most average 6 year olds do not understand what sexual harassment is. "Normal" 6 year olds don't see that it is a horrible thing to touch another kid's skin.

I'm reading the articles that Karen posted. I must have missed that the referred the case to the District Attorney. Seriously. They actually had to release a statement that charges will not be filed because touching isn't against the law, and because the Juvenile Code covers children from 7 to 17.
post #17 of 27
post #18 of 27
This poor boy. What happened to the girl who touched him first? Nothing should have been done except he should have been told that touching isnt allowed. He didn't know any better. Schools and people in general are getting ridiculous with this stuff!
post #19 of 27
That's mental. A 6 year old cannot possibly know these things. Poor boy.
post #20 of 27
Hm. I remember being in kindergarten, which would be 5 yrs old, and I knew not to touch other people. And I also knew off limit body parts, although I didn't know what they were for yet. My parents were very strict w/off limit things, like personal space and not having contact, etc. Would everyone know at that age? Probably not. Would one have the mental capacity at that age to be able to distinguish inappropriate touching if they were taught? I'm sure. I did and I'm not a super genious. Depending on the severity and frequency of the touching, and whether the other child objected to it, I would say that in some cases it may warrant a suspension. I know the article lists what was "touched" and the supposed circumstances however I also know that in most cases there is a story behind the story. I doubt that if it was 100% innocent the teacher would have even noticed.
post #21 of 27
The little boy did get an apology and the school department is going to revise their policies.

http://www.southofboston.com/article...ews/news01.txt
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom
The little boy did get an apology and the school department is going to revise their policies.

http://www.southofboston.com/article...ews/news01.txt

Good to hear. That was a huge overreaction, and it is good to see that they actually figured that out and tried to correct it. Sucks that the kid had to transfer schools because of it, but thankfully he likes the new school.
post #23 of 27
A six yr old child does not know the meaning on sexual harrassment. 2 fingers just inside a waistband?? Give me a break. It wasn't like he was groping her! I think the school definately overreacted. They should have just told the boy to keep his hands to himself and leave it at that. And to report the incident to the DA??? That is just rediculous!!

I am glad the school apologised and are changing their policy, but I feel for the poor little boy who doesn't understand what he did wrong. I am glad he is in a new school.
post #24 of 27
That is appalling. They are children. Lord knows I did MUCH `worse' things as a small child - it's how we explore, learn and develop an understanding of each other as opposite genders (given that you've only just started to realise there's a difference, at that age). That disgusts me, the world is just making too much of nothing, these days, almost like people are looking for an excuse to recriminate.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d
Boy you got that right Girl!
Children who molest had to learn it somewhere!
Although THIS case does`nt seem to be a molest case to me at all....and trust me, I`d say so if I thought it was, as i was molested as a child.
I think the adults (Mom and school officals alike) all ought to be made to get some counseling on this one. They don`t even seem to have a clear idea on what molestation IS or IS NOT......and they are waaaaay overreacting. I`m afraid they have made this such an issue with this little boy that he could develope problems from their actions. If this child needs counseling, it`s probably because of their stupidity!
Linda
Wow, I'm very sorry that you were molested as a child. So was my firstborn daughter! What an awful thing for a little girl (or boy) to deal with! You are right, they are making a problem by overreacting. And it certainly doesn't help end true abuse, does it?
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
Although by this report it sounds like these children were just playing...a 6 year old can actually be a sexual predator.
I hate to argue with you about this, but I strongly believe that a 6 year old could never be a sexual predator. Instead, I do know that a 6 year old CAN engage in sexually-based inappropriate behavior, because he/she was taught to engage in that behavior. I believe that a sexual predator has to have actual sexual arousal when assaulting the victim and must have the intent to "get" a victim in order to satisfy the sexual arousal. I argue that because a 6 year old physically (and cognitively) cannot become sexually satisfied and because they do the inappropriate sexual behavior as an almost habit-based learned response (rather than as an act of power-based sexual arousal) they simply cannot be a sex offender.

Is their behavior bad, wrong, inappropriate, harmful, awful...? Yes! Are they doing it to gain sexual satisfaction at the expense of the victim? No! Instead (as you said) they have been taught that this is an appropriate way to behave, that this is the way to get their anger and frustration out, that this is the way to express love, or whatever. It is a learned behavior in children.

Luckily, a young child can be trained out of this sexually inappropriate behavior just like he/she was trained into performing the behavior. Because of this I am a very very strong believer that we should never ever label young children who act out in a sexual way as predators or sex offenders.

My opinion is based on years of professional/scientific research and treatment of both victims of sexual assaults/abuse and the perpetrators of sexual assaults/abuse.

(P.S. My impression of the case that this thread is about is that it was the grown-ups who have a problem -- not the kids!)
post #27 of 27
Maybe this is a bit extream thinking on my part.......However.......

We all know ow impressionable young kids are....they are like sponges who absorb anything around them....incidents happen that help deveop a small childs brain...and may influence them for the rest of their lives......

Now that said here is my question.......

Is this incident going to influence this kids future relationships w/ women???

Its apperent that this kid is nervous as hell...Thinking that any minute a cop is going to come and drag him off to jail.....He must be tramatized......

Now I am actually glad that they are teaching "sexual repect" as such a young age.....However the frantic and confusing way they went about it makes me think that this incident will stay w/ this poor boy for a long time if not forever subconsiously......

A calm conversation between the boy the girl, their parents and a counsler would have been much more appropriete......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › 6-Year-Old Accused Of Sexual Harassment