Our EXOTIC furbabies

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all and welcome
For those of you who are familiar with Amber, Boris, Nakoma and Carmelo in the "say hello to Boris" thread, this is their new home. Due to the fact that the photo hosting site where all their pictures were stored has changed, they will no longer be visible on the old thread, (the URL address to the site has changed) so I figured I would be better off just starting a new thread. Don't worry, I have all my pictures stored on CD
So, let's start the show. We will start off with Carmelo. These are the latest pictures and as usual, I will take many more of Amber, Boris and Nakoma. Oh, and I haven't forgotten our domestic gang as well

Carmelo standing on the table looking out our front window.

Carmelo ready for nap time

Close up of that cute face

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
awwwwwwwwww what a cutie... how much more growing do you anticipate?? he looks like a very big meduim dog...lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carmelo sleeping in a box.

Aurora says, what the heck, where are MY pictures and is not looking very happy

Since I always show the cute pictures, I figured I would show one of what NOT to let a young cougar cub get away with. He is only grooming her head, but this is something, even though it is very adorable right now, we do not let him do. You would not want a 180 pound cougar doing this. We say NO very firm, and then move him off and walk away. This lets him know that when he does this, he will not get attention from us.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

awwwwwwwwww what a cutie... how much more growing do you anticipate?? he looks like a very big meduim dog...lol
Wow, I didn't expect a reply so quick
Carmelo can still put on about another 100-140 pounds. Of course at that size, we will not be sharing the bed together anymore

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's an adorable cat right there! Hi Handsome!

Can't wait for more pix of the rest of the gang!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked the one in the box as well. He looks so cute in there. I have to get him a new box, because the old one was chewed up
He is such a cuddler too. He will put his paws around you and just keep on purring. I am happy to see that everyone is finding the new pictures here.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

I liked the one in the box as well. He looks so cute in there. I have to get him a new box, because the old one was chewed up
He is such a cuddler too. He will put his paws around you and just keep on purring. I am happy to see that everyone is finding the new pictures here.
Awwww
That is just so cute!

I just couldn't imagine having such big boxes around the place!! I fall over Molly's little ones all the time!!
I think I would just give up and sleep and cuddle in the box with Carmelo!

girlkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
can you tell me a little bit about keeping exotics? i mean, i would be scared to have a cougar in the house, but i love looking at them. is he declawed? how on earth do you tame such a wild animal? how do you give such a wild animal proper diet and exercise? how big is your house? can they walk on a leash? and, i don't mean this in any offensive way, but is it humane to tame such an animal (i'm sure you'll, of course, say yes, so could you please explain it to me)?
i'm so full of questions, please pardon me for it. i've always heard of people that keep wild cats, but i've never had the opportunity to speak to one. tell me everything, please!
(sorry for being such a noob, this is just exciting for me)

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I admit I didn't follow the Boris thread after a bit - I knew about Nakoma - but the cougar was a suprise! Cute "little" baby!

I would so love to have a bob!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Awwww
That is just so cute!

I just couldn't imagine having such big boxes around the place!! I fall over Molly's little ones all the time!!
I think I would just give up and sleep and cuddle in the box with Carmelo!
You should see the size of the litter boxes here. I have one that is about 3 feet by 2 feet
Carmelo would love to have you cuddle with him in the box as well

can you tell me a little bit about keeping exotics? i mean, i would be scared to have a cougar in the house, but i love looking at them. is he declawed? how on earth do you tame such a wild animal? how do you give such a wild animal proper diet and exercise? how big is your house? can they walk on a leash? and, i don't mean this in any offensive way, but is it humane to tame such an animal (i'm sure you'll, of course, say yes, so could you please explain it to me)?
i'm so full of questions, please pardon me for it. i've always heard of people that keep wild cats, but i've never had the opportunity to speak to one. tell me everything, please!
(sorry for being such a noob, this is just exciting for me)]
No need to apologize. Ask anything you like
As for keeping exotics, it is not for everyone. Actually, with the amount of unwanted domestic animals we have in our shelters, owning any animal is not for everyone. As with all animal ownership, the first thing you have to be is responsible. You must provide for the welfare of the exotic animal and you must keep the safety of the public in mind at all times. This means never doing anything stupid and irresonsible with your exotic. Owning these animals is not to be a show off or to look cool. I have always loved cats, especially the big cats and I have a very strong bond with and love nature and our environment. Owning an exotic cat will change the way you live your life forever and you must be prepared for this. For instance, I have not gone away on a vacation since I started living with these wonderful cats. In fact, the longest I have been away from home was about 19 hours, no more. I can go on here forever about the responsibilties of owning an exotic, but I will answer your questions. Makes it easier that way
Is he decalwed? The answer is yes. I have domestics, they are not declawed, but the bobcats are declawed in the front only and the cougar is on all 4. Now, this may not sit well with many people here, but this is something that should be done, especially with a cougar. Yes, you can train them not to use their claws and I was not going to declaw, but in doing the research with long time cougar owners, they gave me some strong advice. Everyone here who owns a cat, knows just how your cat will react when they get injured. Your loving friend may not be the same during an injury or if they become frightened. Even a domestic cat can do some harm with their claws, but they are not life threatening. With a cougar, should he need to go to the vet, or if he gets sick or injured, you may not be able to help him if he had his claws, especially the back claws. If he were to injure himself and then get frightened, he can kick with those back legs so hard, that he would actually prevent you from helping him. So, to provide for all his needs, I decided to declaw. As for taming him and all our exotics, the first thing you must realize is this. They were NOT taken out of the wild, they came from a breeder. This makes a huge difference. These cats have never been in the wild and neither have their parents. They are raised with humans from birth and form a very strong bond with you. In fact, Carmelo and our bobcats see us as one of them. Their diet is an all raw meat diet, bones and all. (Chicken, beef, rabbit, deer) They are also given the giblets, livers and hearts as well. All meat is supplemented with a vitamin designed for wild felines. All meat that is given to them without the bone, has a calcium supplement on it as well. Our house is not that big, but Carmelo, the cougar, will only live inside with us for a year or maybe 2 years, if we are lucky. The longer he lives inside with us, the stronger the human/cat bond will be. After 2 years though, he will live outside in a large very secure enclosure. Amber and Boris live inside with us all the time. They are bobcats and are not as large as a cougar. Amber weighs about 25-30 pounds and Boris weighs about 35-40 pounds at the moment. Nakoma is a rescue bobcat who lives outside in a secure enclosure 100% of the time. He weighs about 50-55 pounds. Nakoma was never raised indoors with humans, so he does not know what it is like. He was also abused by a very irresponsible previous owner. Amber, Boris and Carmelo all get to go outside and play in an enclosure as well for exercise. Yes, they can walk on a leash, but you must never walk them in public. You must walk them on your own property only. Carmelo can walk on a leash now, but when he gets bigger, he can reach 180+ pounds, walking him on the leash would be out of the question. This would not be very responsible. All of my enclosures have a perimeter fence as welll, that prevents any unwanted guests from coming into contact with them. Do exotics make great comapnions? Yes they do, but ONLY if you know what you are doing and are 100 % responsible. I hope I answered your questions here. If you have any more, feel free to ask

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am amazed by your household that's for sure! And how well your domestics seem to be with there much larger friends. To they play together? I would worry that that the exotics could get a little carried away or rough when playing and could accidently injure you pixie bobs.

girlkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wow, thanks for such a thorough response! i love the big cats too, but for many reasons, i'll never be a big cat owner (my husband being one of the reasons...he imposes a maximum pet quota that i have already met).
can you post a picture of the bobcats' tails? i was told that my cat may be part lynx. i posted a thread about this, it's called "help me figure out what she is". i couldn't be more sure that she isn't any kind of wildcat, but if you could look at her tail, you could probably tell in a second if it resembles a bobcat or lynx tail.

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amber - thanks for that response, I had some of the same questions. I just would like to know how big your yard is, where you live (state? very rural?) and if most state ban keeping exotics?

Thanks!! It's very interesting... and P.S. they are gorgeous!!