TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anybody build their own cat trees/toys?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anybody build their own cat trees/toys?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking about making a custom cat tree this summer. It'd keep me busy and I think it would be neat to some how tie hockey, boxing or some other sports into it.

Has anybody ever built their own? Pictures?
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN
I'm thinking about making a custom cat tree this summer. It'd keep me busy and I think it would be neat to some how tie hockey, boxing or some other sports into it.

Has anybody ever built their own? Pictures?
My Uncle built this for Harley for Christmas. Its nothing big and fancy, but he loves it and its a perfect size for him!







There are 2 of these litte mice hanging on 2 short little strings-they look long in the pic, but we shortened them so he doesn't get caught up in them


He loves it!
post #3 of 23
For boxing, what about a mini punch bag? Or for Hockey, A hockey stick shaped scratcher?
post #4 of 23
We have made a tree, I don't have a pic of it finished - I should take one, we also made 4 cat beds and who knows how many catnip sack toys and pom poms
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten
For boxing, what about a mini punch bag? Or for Hockey, A hockey stick shaped scratcher?
Those are great ideas!

I like the mini punching bag idea, the kitties would have fun batting that around!
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten
Or for Hockey, A hockey stick shaped scratcher?
Magnum loves to chew on my BF's hockey stick if he forgets to put it away
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Those are great ideas! This will be fun. I'll have to start drawing up some ideas.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
I could hang some pucks from the trees and it would be cool to make a box that they can get into somehow with clear sides to look out.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley
My Uncle built this for Harley for Christmas. Its nothing big and fancy, but he loves it and its a perfect size for him!







There are 2 of these litte mice hanging on 2 short little strings-they look long in the pic, but we shortened them so he doesn't get caught up in them


He loves it!

That is really cool.

Harley is so cute.
post #10 of 23
Rosehawke made an awesome cat tree - you can see it here. she even shows a step-by-step process w/directions & pix!
post #11 of 23
I built (with help from friends) this cat tree last summer. The monkeys love it! They chase each other up and down it, fight over the top perch to sleep...and keep on eye on the birds and squirrels out the window on it!!



post #12 of 23
Those cat trees you guys made/or had made are Awesome. They are perfect. You kittys sure look happy in them.
post #13 of 23
Wow! That one is great! I want to go play on it with them!

We are working in getting Harley a much bigger one (like that ) in case we do end up getting him a brother or sister, they will have one that they can both play on at the same time!
post #14 of 23
I forgot to mention...for all the supplies etc I built that for $60CDN what a great deal!
post #15 of 23
My dad built this for me. It hooks to the ceiling. They looove to climb it as fast as possible, sleeping on the top perch is the best seat in the house. There are 3 perches on the way up.

post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
My dad built this for me. It hooks to the ceiling. They looove to climb it as fast as possible, sleeping on the top perch is the best seat in the house. There are 3 perches on the way up.



We have one kind of like that that we bought from Meijer. The only problem is that the "shelves: aren't staggered very well so it's kind of hard for them to jump up and down on them. Hopefully I'll get to build them a good one.
post #17 of 23
This was a pretty cheap and easy project for my dad. It is PVC piping with the sisal wrapped around it. The shelves are wood with some carpet scraps covering the top. The hardest part was the device that lays against the ceiling. Its flat with a rubber side and adjustable so you can get it really tight. The nice thing is its small footprint in your living space but maximizes vertical height.
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
This was a pretty cheap and easy project for my dad. It is PVC piping with the sisal wrapped around it. The shelves are wood with some carpet scraps covering the top. The hardest part was the device that lays against the ceiling. Its flat with a rubber side and adjustable so you can get it really tight. The nice thing is its small footprint in your living space but maximizes vertical height.

Our cats really like the one we got. We sprinkly catnip on it and watch them go haha. I want to build a ramp or something to for it too.
post #19 of 23
I have made catnip toys and cat beds like the ones you see in petsmart and petco except I used polar fleece for the inside and out and that was really thick to sew thru on my machine. The backs of most pattern books at say Jo-Ann fabrics/Hancock fabrics have patterns for pet stuff the pattern I have I can make 5-6 different things. I would like to make one of the taller pieces of cat furniture as we have all the wood scraps and lots of carpeting scraps too.
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
I have made catnip toys and cat beds like the ones you see in petsmart and petco except I used polar fleece for the inside and out and that was really thick to sew thru on my machine. The backs of most pattern books at say Jo-Ann fabrics/Hancock fabrics have patterns for pet stuff the pattern I have I can make 5-6 different things. I would like to make one of the taller pieces of cat furniture as we have all the wood scraps and lots of carpeting scraps too.

I think it'd be fun to make a custom one for your cats or your own interests.
post #21 of 23
I would like to find one of those round tubes. My dad is a scavenger of construction sites to recycle copper wire, etc. I told him to be on the lookout for something I could use for cat furniture. That being said my luck he will bring me all sorts of usless stuff (you should see how many screws and washers we have!)
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
I would like to find one of those round tubes. My dad is a scavenger of construction sites to recycle copper wire, etc. I told him to be on the lookout for something I could use for cat furniture. That being said my luck he will bring me all sorts of usless stuff (you should see how many screws and washers we have!)




I think I remember you posting something like a week ago about organizing them all. Hopefully he can find something!
post #23 of 23
Awwwwww I would love to make a cat bed, but have no sewing machine. I just got 2 cat trees but when i get a chance i would love to make my own. Really good ideas here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anybody build their own cat trees/toys?