New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pregnancy ?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
This will be my first kitty pregnancy so I have a couple ?'s

1.) Can you give a pregnant/nursing mom flea treatment?

2.) Are you suppose to keep other kitties away from the pregnant/nursing mother?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

2.) Are you suppose to keep other kitties away from the pregnant/nursing mother?
Kitties are fun!

Well, I know that other *kitties* can nurse from the nursing mom, so long as they all get a nipple, but if you are talking about other cats, I'm not sure. But it would probably be best to let the mommy nurse her kittens without the dirsturbance of other cats, I think.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Well if my bedroom does not have a door on it right now But I don't think my other kitties will mess with the mom and kittens. I am going to put up a babygate though.
post #4 of 13
I would definately give mom her own space...and I would keep any intact males away from her..especially after she delivers.

Katie
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5
But I don't think my other kitties will mess with the mom and kittens. I am going to put up a babygate though.
Good.

So when is she due? Which cat is it?
post #6 of 13
About the flea treatment, I would consult your veterinarian before you give it to her, just to be safe. It is better to keep all other cats away from momma and the kittens so they can get settled and so the others don't hurt them or anything.
post #7 of 13
I have heard that it is good to deflea or deworm a pregnant cat because then you eliminate the risk of the mother passing anything transplacentaly to her kittens......

But as other have suggested it is always a good idea to check w/ the vet anyways........though I am sure you were going to anyways since the vet will have to see the cat before perscribing any meds.....

Good luck w/ the pregancy I hope it all goes smoothly
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiecat3
Good.

So when is she due? Which cat is it?
Well its my foster kitty. She is due in 2 weeks
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula11
I have heard that it is good to deflea or deworm a pregnant cat because then you eliminate the risk of the mother passing anything transplacentaly to her kittens......

But as other have suggested it is always a good idea to check w/ the vet anyways........though I am sure you were going to anyways since the vet will have to see the cat before perscribing any meds.....

Good luck w/ the pregancy I hope it all goes smoothly
Well I will be checking with the vet first But here in my state you don't need a prescription for flea meds.
post #10 of 13
Flea medication like Advantage and Frontline is safe for a pregnant queen. You don't need to buy it from a vet here in New Zealand either.

Keeping the mother cat with the other cats up until she has two weeks to go is fine (away from all intact males of course) but she will need her own space after that. Especially since she is a foster kitty and you probably don't know the exact date she is due.
post #11 of 13
I keep my pregnant/new mom foster cats away from my other cats. Often, the fosters have never had any vaccinations, so I am afraid they could catch something from my kitties or give something to them. And then when the kittens are born, they are unvaccinated, so again I keep them away from the other cats.

Also, just because the other kitties and the foster get along before the kittens are born, doesn't mean she will want them near her babies. I would recommend keeping them totally separate until the babies get their vaccinations. If that isn't possible, please at least give her a private space for the first few weeks.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLGRL5
Well I will be checking with the vet first But here in my state you don't need a prescription for flea meds.
Just make sure you are getting Advantage, Revolution, Frontline, or one of those. Do not buy over the counter brands from the grocery stores or from pet stores. Usually the Advantage and stuff are behind the counter, not on the shelf. If it is on the shelf it should usually be avoided as is can do way more harm to your pet. Especially Hartz brand.
post #13 of 13
1. Yes, if it is Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution. She should also be dewormed with Strongid or another dewormer recommended by your vet.

2. Ideally, yes. Other cats can be unpredictable around newborn kittens and mother cats have been known to become very aggressive toward cats who are perceived as a threat to her young.

Good luck, and have fun! You should have a great experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care