TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › friend's kittens is dire need of help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

friend's kittens is dire need of help! - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Trichomonas is the name of the protozoan.
post #32 of 48
I was thinking heliobacter pylori but that's the one that causes ulcers, isn't it?
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
That is eaxclty how I reasoned. The only problem is it's extreamly difficult to not let your heart get in the way of good judgement and reason.
Festus' litter was my first foster litter. Then I took on Garfield and his twin brother Odie when Festus and Garfield were about 8-10 weeks. Several days after getting them, Odie died of distemper. Garfield had a battle for his life, but obviously survived. Festus' litter got sick, but since they had their first vaccinations, and it was caught early, they all did just fine.

I'll never forget that feeling of fear, that I that I could have killed my babies by bringing in an illness.

Garfield and Odie had been vet checked, I'm not sure why the distemper wasn't picked up. I am now terrified of diarrhea...and even if it isn't distemper it is not fair to your resident animals to risk them, and your breeding program. But do what you can up to bringing the kittens into your home.

It sounds like he is already learning from your intervention. I am very glad to hear that. It is amazing that the kittens survived this long. That Momma cat must have been feeding them around the clock to keep them alive. Poor, dear, I hope she gets some of the kitten formula to build up her strength!
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef
I was thinking heliobacter pylori but that's the one that causes ulcers, isn't it?
Yes, and I think heliobacter is a bacteria? Trichomonas is a protozoan and is very difficult to treat. The parasitologists basically say "yeah, good luck with that!"
I only know this because we have been going through this with a bengal breeder that is a client of ours. They only have a couple of breeding cats and are raising the kittens in their home. The cats are very clean and well cared for but the diarrhea is an ongoing situation, despite regular vet care.
post #35 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle
Yes, and I think heliobacter is a bacteria? Trichomonas is a protozoan and is very difficult to treat. The parasitologists basically say "yeah, good luck with that!"
I only know this because we have been going through this with a bengal breeder that is a client of ours. They only have a couple of breeding cats and are raising the kittens in their home. The cats are very clean and well cared for but the diarrhea is an ongoing situation, despite regular vet care.
Yeah she is a bengal. It seems benagls need a raw diet more then other cats. I know plenty of bengal breeders that feed raw and have very healthy cats.
I had problems with my bengals and GI disorders on a commercial diet.I tried all the expensive brands of dry and canned. I spent more time at the vets office then I did at home and more money at the vets for my cats then I spent on my family! Nothing would resolve the ongoing problems. I finally switched them to raw and have not looked back since.
I don't care what anyone says, i've seen first hand what that diet did for my bengals. One of my queens was sick and skinny because of GI disorders and parasites over and over untill I switched her.
Now I have no sick cats-ever. Not even a worm or a sneeze or anything! Not even one bout of diarrhea.
Im not going to get in a back and forth about raw but as far as im concerned he needs to try something other then what he's trying now. He already took the cat to the vet for a full workup right before she was bred. The vet found nothing and told him to feed eukanuba so she'd put on weight. Obviously that didn't work.
If he dosen't try somethig drastic she will die. If you seen her you'd know what im talking about.
post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
Yeah she is a bengal. It seems benagls need a raw diet more then other cats. I know plenty of bengal breeders that feed raw and have very healthy cats.
I had problems with my bengals and GI disorders on a commercial diet.I tried all the expensive brands of dry and canned. I spent more time at the vets office then I did at home and more money at the vets for my cats then I spent on my family! Nothing would resolve the ongoing problems. I finally switched them to raw and have not looked back since.
I don't care what anyone says, i've seen first hand what that diet did for my bengals. One of my queens was sick and skinny because of GI disorders and parasites over and over untill I switched her.
Now I have no sick cats-ever. Not even a worm or a sneeze or anything! Not even one bout of diarrhea.
Im not going to get in a back and forth about raw but as far as im concerned he needs to try something other then what he's trying now. He already took the cat to the vet for a full workup right before she was bred. The vet found nothing and told him to feed eukanuba so she'd put on weight. Obviously that didn't work.
If he dosen't try somethig drastic she will die. If you seen her you'd know what im talking about.
Also wanted to add that I do know that the breeder the cat came from does worm her cats and get vet checkups done on the kittens before selling them. She's good about some things she's just not very discriminating when it comes to who she will sell her breeder cats to.
Although, I do have to admit that most of her kittens have URI's, which shows they have a compromised immune system early on.
post #37 of 48
I would actually add some canned kitten food to their formula sooner than later. Formula doesn't compare in quality with mother's milk so I always push solids (in some form) pretty quickly with my orphans since high quality canned kitten food will give them better quality nutrition. Nutro kitten food mashes into a smooth paste and of all the foods I've tried, it's my favorite to mix with KMR for syringe feeding. Any smooth textured food would work, though.

If "all" they are battling is malnutrition at this point, they have a good chance. If it's any inspiration to you, there is an 8-month-old kitten stalking his playmate in this room as we speak whose story makes these guys seem like they've had it easy. I got him from someone who was keeping him in his bathtub and feeding him bacon when he was just 3.5 weeks old. (The man was well-intentioned, he'd just found this guy in his backyard and had no idea how to care for him.) Buster's temperature and blood sugar were too low to even register a reading, and his heart rate was 50. He was so weak he could barely expand his chest wall enough to take a breath. But all it took was heat, dextrose, fluids, and a dose of cardiac stimulant meds before he was good as new. These guys can be ridiculously resilient. At this point you'd never know he ever had any problems. As long as they are fighting, it's worth fighting with them.
post #38 of 48
For the momma cat - I've had good luck with Gerber baby food getting a cat to eat and put on some weight. The number 2 meats (remember, no onions or garlic) are what I used when my cat was at death's door. I fed her a tablespoon of baby food and a tablespoon of plain yogurt every 3 hours around the clock. (He could give the cat more than that, though. My cat had an intestinal blockage, so had to start slow.) Poor momma. It SO takes it out of them, even when they're healthy!
post #39 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta
For the momma cat - I've had good luck with Gerber baby food getting a cat to eat and put on some weight. The number 2 meats (remember, no onions or garlic) are what I used when my cat was at death's door. I fed her a tablespoon of baby food and a tablespoon of plain yogurt every 3 hours around the clock. (He could give the cat more than that, though. My cat had an intestinal blockage, so had to start slow.) Poor momma. It SO takes it out of them, even when they're healthy!
Yeah guys...I said in other posts that I have him mixing meat baby food with the KMR, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I don't know if he'll feed baby food to momma it's rediculously expensive, but he is feeding the kittens the baby food/KMR mixture.
All baby food is- is cooked meat that is ground to a paste. He could actually make some himself if he got imaginative.
post #40 of 48
You asked about their weight.

Kitten Weight
At birth, weight should be approx 3-3.4 ounces.

At age 1 week weight should be approx. 4 ounces.

At age 2 weeks, weight should be approx. 7 ounces.

At age 3 weeks, weight should be approx. 10 ounces.

At age 4 weeks weight should be approx. 13 ounces.

At age 5 weeks, weight should be approximately 1 pound.

By the end of the 8th week, kittens should weigh approximately 2.2 pounds.

Of course, all these weights are approximate. You may have a kitten that is slightly under or over these weights and still be perfectly healthy.
post #41 of 48
Just wondering if you had any updates on the mum and her babies.
post #42 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker
Just wondering if you had any updates on the mum and her babies.
no I haven't talked with him since the other day. He said he was going to get more KMR. I hope he did. If I hear anything i'll update though.
post #43 of 48
Just found this thread...keeping my fingers crossed and sending vibes for the mom and kits.
post #44 of 48
Thread Starter 
well, four of them are doing wonderful but the only little girl in the litter probably won't make it. She's throwing her head back and flipping over and disoriented. I think because the other ones are getting stronger she was not able to get a nipple so she hasn't been able to nurse at all. I told my friend to bottle feed her every couple of hours.
post #45 of 48
I've heard this happen a lot on my raw food board. Sounds like an inner ear infection or URI thats affecting her equilibrium. Of course lack of nutrition could be it too or weaking her immune system which are always pretty fragile at that stage.
post #46 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
I've heard this happen a lot on my raw food board. Sounds like an inner ear infection or URI thats affecting her equilibrium. Of course lack of nutrition could be it too or weaking her immune system which are always pretty fragile at that stage.
Im glad you mentioned that. Yes the kittens do have URI's but not too bad. He said her eyes were claer but I might just call him and let him know that it could be that making her dizzy.
post #47 of 48
Inner ear infections are treatable and usually the kittens recover. Usually they can eat if they are isolated without "competition". They sort of stand on their heads to eat (because they can't tell which end is up, poor things), and have to be given water with a syringe because they can't really drink. Have him try giving her chicken baby food in a very small, flat dish.
post #48 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiferal
Inner ear infections are treatable and usually the kittens recover. Usually they can eat if they are isolated without "competition". They sort of stand on their heads to eat (because they can't tell which end is up, poor things), and have to be given water with a syringe because they can't really drink. Have him try giving her chicken baby food in a very small, flat dish.
He's tried the baby food but she wont eat from a dish. Now he's mixing the baby food and KMR together and she's taking it from a syringe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › friend's kittens is dire need of help!