New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some help

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
My friend Nanci has been feeding some feral kittens on another person's property for the past few months.

She has tried three or four times to get permission from the owner of the property to trap the mother cat and kittens, without success.

This past weekend, some guy who lives with the owner told Nanci to stop feeding the kittens as they were just going to let them starve.

Nanci will not pay any attention to that and we are looking for some way to kick Animal Control into high gear to have someone go and check the animals and see that they are very, very hungry.

Nanci has called Animal Cruelty with no respoinse. I have called Animal Control and they will NOT come out to trap the cats. The Humane Society gave us the number to Animal Cruelty, but no help.

What can we do?
post #2 of 25
Is there any way that she can move the feeding so that these kittens/cats end up off his property? Has she asked why he doesn't want the cats?? At this point, it may be best for her to involve an established TNR group.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#az

Katie
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
The guy told Nanci to stop feeding the cats. The house where the cats are is about far enough away to make trapping by Nanci impractical. They do not want the cats fed by Nanci and they do not feed them either. They think that if they stop feeding the cats, they will go away.

They probably will just starve.

Nanci can not take them in, I can not take them in. Aninal Control will not come and trap them, the Humane Society will not come and trap them, FACT will not come and trap them, I can not go and trap them and Nanci, even if she could trap them, could not get permission.

We are at our wits end.
post #4 of 25
i have no good advise
but good luck
you will find a way to keep those kitties safe and wel fed
post #5 of 25
Please contact AzCATs 602-287-8824 or check out their website (I don't believe I can put the link here). I don't know if they'll go outside the Phoenix area, but they may have some kind of suggestion for you. If Nanci could get the cats feeding where she lives, would she be able to have them fixed and just feed outside her place? If she's feeding there I would assume she could continue if they were in her area? If she tells them she's trapping and removing them, would they go for that? Some people!
post #6 of 25
Tell nanci to move the feeding station the cats won't starve, they will move. The only way they will starve is if they are kept in captivity and then starved. If there is no food source, they will move on until they find another food source. It is their instinct. Also take Lisa's suggestion and call that phone number and get more help with these cats- Good Luck
post #7 of 25
I would forget about permission and trap the animals if at all possible. Can she set the traps behind some bushes or something? Are they tame enough to just grab them and TNR to a new location?
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ok, thank you all, have given the info to Nanci, let's see what happens.

You guys are the GREATEST!!!!
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiboo
I would forget about permission and trap the animals if at all possible. Can she set the traps behind some bushes or something? Are they tame enough to just grab them and TNR to a new location?
You have to be careful with this. There are laws about being on someone's property. If you can set a trap in an area by the cats but not on the property, then they can't do anything. The best way is to setup a feeding area away from this property and then trap there. The cats will go where the food is. We've had to relocate feeding areas many times and they've always found the food!
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofCats
You have to be careful with this. There are laws about being on someone's property. If you can set a trap in an area by the cats but not on the property, then they can't do anything. The best way is to setup a feeding area away from this property and then trap there. The cats will go where the food is. We've had to relocate feeding areas many times and they've always found the food!
Agreed....moving the feeding station is ideal. That way you cannot be accused of tresspassing. If she moves the feeding station...chances are the cats will find it.

Katie
post #11 of 25
If the man doesn't want the cats on his property then why won't he give Nanci permission to trap them?
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
None of this makes any sense to me. They don't want to feed the cats.

They don't want Nanci to feed the cats. As far as I can see, they want the cats to leave the property and they feel the only way to do this is to refuse to feed them at all.

We are still waiting for a call back from AzCats. When Nanci called there was just a VM.

I am trying to convince Nanci to move the food away from the property.

I am really irritated at this because I can not take them.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya
None of this makes any sense to me. They don't want to feed the cats.

They don't want Nanci to feed the cats. As far as I can see, they want the cats to leave the property and they feel the only way to do this is to refuse to feed them at all.

We are still waiting for a call back from AzCats. When Nanci called there was just a VM.

I am trying to convince Nanci to move the food away from the property.

I am really irritated at this because I can not take them.
I believe it can take up to 48 hours for a return call. Hopefully they have some info that will be able to help you out. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can find out.
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
I tell you all, I am so proud of Nanci. She has made up a note to put on the homeowner's door tonight giving her Nanci's phone number to call, so that some kind of arrangements can be made for the cats.

Nanci is a very private person and for her to do this required a lot of love and care for those ferals. I am so proud of her.
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
No word from AzCats and no word from homeowner.
post #16 of 25
What is the setup of the area? Is it an urban or suburban area with yards backing up to alleys, or is it yards backing up to wooded areas, or something different? If you can describe the layout of the neighborhood I or someone here can probably come up with some suggestions.

I always operate by three rules: 1. TNR first, make provisions for long term care second; 2. avoid going on private property if at all possible; and 3. if it is necessary to go on a stranger's private property, do it as quickly as possible and ask forgiveness, not permission. It's gotten me through situations in some pretty nasty neighborhoods.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya
No word from AzCats and no word from homeowner.
AzCATs gets 100's of calls daily which are answered by a few volunteers. It can take a few days to get back depending on the phone load. If you don't hear anything soon, PM me and I will see what's going on. As far as the homeowner, good luck, sounds like they're a bunch of uncaring people anyway!
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Nanci has received a phone call from AzCats and is in the process of talking with them about the situation.

She is also trying hard to feed the cats off the property, but is very concerned because of the roadway. I don't think there is MUCH traffice, but it only takes one car to hit a cat or kitten.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. In the meantime we are hoping that the cats move off the property and maybe get themselves ready for trapping.
post #19 of 25
Anything new with this situation?
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
I have been in training the last two days, I haven't had a chance to talk to Nanci. I do know that she is feeding the cats now across the street. They are coming out of the yard and going across the street to be fed. I hope that Nanci will now try to trap them and/or someone can come out to talk to the woman and/or trap.

I will get back to you all later today. Thank you for the concern.
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
OK, I am fuming. The best I can get out of Nanci is that someone from the Humane Society called and talked about trapping the cats, however the "owner" would have to pay for the spay and neuter. Now this makes all the sense in the world considering that she won't even buy food for them. So she said (the Humane Society lady) that Nanci could call Animal Control and see if they would do a welfare check.

This makes all the sense in the world, because these are FERALS!!!!! They will hear them coming a mile away and disappear.

So, now Nanci and I are trying to wrack our brains to come up with something. Nanci has the trap but the home area of the kitties is about 1 and half miles away, which means leaving a $100 trap out in plain site to see if we could trap the kits. Not a good idea. (By the way, the trap belongs to Florence).

It is a good thing that I had you guys to help out when I trapped my babies, but then again, that was on my property.

WHAT DO WE DO, PLEASE????????
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenKiya
OK, I am fuming. The best I can get out of Nanci is that someone from the Humane Society called and talked about trapping the cats, however the "owner" would have to pay for the spay and neuter. Now this makes all the sense in the world considering that she won't even buy food for them. So she said (the Humane Society lady) that Nanci could call Animal Control and see if they would do a welfare check.

This makes all the sense in the world, because these are FERALS!!!!! They will hear them coming a mile away and disappear.

So, now Nanci and I are trying to wrack our brains to come up with something. Nanci has the trap but the home area of the kitties is about 1 and half miles away, which means leaving a $100 trap out in plain site to see if we could trap the kits. Not a good idea. (By the way, the trap belongs to Florence).

It is a good thing that I had you guys to help out when I trapped my babies, but then again, that was on my property.

WHAT DO WE DO, PLEASE????????
First off you wouldn't just want to leave the trap out in plain site. You would want to remain there as you trap. No way should you leave a trapped cat vulnerable to who knows what. You also need one trap per cat. Have you checked with any feed stores, Humane Society, or somewhere to rent traps? You need to first setup an appointment to get these cats fixed, then based on that, stop feeding 24 - 48 hours before that. Then trap the night before your appointment. You need to remain there if this area isn't where you can safely leave a trap out.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
I am 8 miles away from the action. Nanci is 1 and half miles away. Nanci can not sit in her car, hoping that the ferals will get into the trap. The car will scare the heck out them.

I am just so frustrated and ANGRY! I can't take these babies (there are 7 or so) and Nanci can't keep them. We are both wishing that we had minded our own business, but then the cat would be dead now.

Well, at this rate, they are going to be dead anyway.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Sorry, my blood pressure is down now.

The lady on the property has refused to allow Nanci to trap the cats. Nanci has worked some of the cats across the street for feeding, but that would entail leaving the trap in an open area with no trees, or any cover, just a wash. (no water)

If Nanci set the trap tonight, for example, she would have to get into her car and check it every couple of hours to see if someone was in it. It is not close enough for her to just walk over and see.

Since the trap in NOT hers, she is unwilling to leave it overnight. ( I don't blame her)

I personally would like someone (anyone) in authority to explain to this person (owner) that it is not acceptable for her to starve the cats to make them move on, and allow someone (anyone) to trap them.

I have talked with Nanci and I have even considered stretching out my budget to allow for half the cats involved, but we can't GET them.

I am just sooooooo frustrated!!!
post #25 of 25
Is there anyone that can help trap? Did AzCATs offer any alternatives? When we trap we set them up and then wait in our vehicle until we get cats in the traps. You may not get them all (as you well know) on the first attempt. Even if you get one at a time it's better than none! I know you can get them to go in if you set the traps by the area you feed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals