TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat in Heat is driving me insane!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat in Heat is driving me insane!

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I have 5 cats. Only one isn't fixed because I want to have 1 or 2 litters with her. Kagome is a Munchkin. She is having her 2nd heat cycle and she will not shut up! She was to be bred this week with a LaPerm/Munchkin but the plan fell thru and I have to find another stud. I don't know if there is any medication to prevent her from going into heat until I'm ready or if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can deal with this problem. Kagome is a very vocal cat to begin with and that's part of why I love her. But I am going to go insane if I don't get a full night sleep soon! PLEASE HELP!
post #2 of 22
Get her spayed, unless you are a registered breeder you should have all your cats spayed.
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Get her spayed, unless you are a registered breeder you should have all your cats spayed.
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
I will be having her fixed after a litter or so. I say this because Munchkins are rare and expensive and I have several family members and friends who want a baby. Yes, they could get another cat that needs a home, Lord knows there are plenty around. Yet having a special cat. like a Munchkin , makes some people, me included,feel like God gave me a special cat that no one else has. After having a Munchkin, I would never have any other type. They are just so different than most cats. Mine are like dogs. They walk on a leash, play fetch, and stand up to beg. I couldn't dissapiont my neices and nephews who come to my house just to see them. They have been waiting to get one for a long time. I even have homes for any kittens that don't have the short legs.
post #5 of 22
They are not that unusual- Just ask all these breeders

Munchkin Breeders
post #6 of 22
Unless you purchased breeding rights, she should be spayed ASAP. As Hissy said, Munchkins are not unusual at all. Besides, if you are not breeding carefully so to improve the breed, then you are harming the Munchkin breed as a whole. If you love the breed so much, surely you do not want to see the breed damaged.
post #7 of 22
As others have said, Munchkin cats are common, and are born due to a genetic mutation.

They are not recognized in CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) and only recently in TICA. As your cat cannot be registered due to not having come from a registered litter, she should be spayed immediately.

That is the humane thing to do.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaluna
I have 5 cats. Only one isn't fixed because I want to have 1 or 2 litters with her. Kagome is a Munchkin. She is having her 2nd heat cycle and she will not shut up! She was to be bred this week with a LaPerm/Munchkin but the plan fell thru and I have to find another stud. I don't know if there is any medication to prevent her from going into heat until I'm ready or if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can deal with this problem. Kagome is a very vocal cat to begin with and that's part of why I love her. But I am going to go insane if I don't get a full night sleep soon! PLEASE HELP!
There is no medication (that I know of) available in the US to prevent estrus from occuring, but there might be a few things you can do to help lessen the symptoms a bit ... you can simulate an environment that is not conducive to estrus; cooler temperature and longer nights, as in winter. It is called photoanestrus (do a google on it - there is lots of information) and with my own girl, I use my bedroom as her confinement area. I move her litter box, food and water dishes and her favorite blankets, toys, scratching post/condo in there and I close off the drapes so that it is dim but not totally dark during the day. At night, I do have a small nightlight on my bedside table, but it is only a small bulb and not much light. I close and cover the heating vent so that the room isn't heated. (It never gets actually ~cold~ in there, but it does stay about 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house.) Since my desk/home office is in there, I am in with her frequently. I guess I've been lucky as I have had some small success with it.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you Gayef for some advice. I was afraid I would be attacked by breeders for wanting to have a litter of Munchkins. I feel a strong need to make a statement about this. I say this, not to offend anyone but just because I feel strongly about this issue. When I first got a munchkin I thought about becoming a breeder. I researched mostly munchkins. I spoke with several breeders including the head of the munchkin society. Almost every breeder was rude and wouldn't even sell me a kitten with papers even if I paid breeding rights. One breeder in Iowa was very nice and I spent hours talking to her. I told her about the people I had talked to and she advised me that most breeder are like that. Anyone who knows anything about munchkins knows that it is a developing breed with a few crossbreeds or hybreds are already establishing guidelines. So as to "preserving" the breed, until there is a true breed, there is no guideline besides the show guidelines which still is vague. I went to a few catteries and I was horrified at most of what I saw. One breeder in Wisconsin had 40 cats in cages and she out and out told me that she kills all kittens that weren't show quality. Another breeder I visited had about 20 cats in a house with free reign and I don't think anything should have been living in that filth. I am not saying that every breeder is horrible. I just look at breeders in a new light after what I saw. Many think they are better than the average person because they have a piece of paper saying their cats are registered. Many breeds are so inbred because of irresponsible breeding. I just take offence when someone who doesn't know me tells me I have no right to enjoy having a litter of kittens which I have homes for. I am not stupid enough to to breed outside of the current thoughts of what a Munchkin should be even though I know that these kittens will be fixed. I have a four generation record on both of my munchkins. I am sorry that this has been such a long response. As I said before, I didn't say all of this to offend breeders. I just get emotional when I think about my experiences. I still value anyones advice.
post #10 of 22
I don't think you have been attacked by breeders considering I am only the second breeder to have responded to your post. I know we can't change your mind, but why BYB? wouldn't you rather do it properly?
post #11 of 22
I think it's sweet of you to want to give kittens to your family. Enjoy.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
I don't know what BYB means. Also I didn't know if anyone who replied to this thread was a breeder or not. I just wanted to say what I did before any breeders could get offended at what I said.
post #13 of 22
BYB used to mean bring your own booze, now it means Backyard Breeder. People who breed for reasons that are not ethical or true to the lines being bred, or people who let their intact cats outside to meet and breed with other cats.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaluna
I just wanted to say what I did before any breeders could get offended at what I said.
As a breeder, I can't honestly say I was at all offended by your post, but rather I was more curious as to your goals with breeding.

You are right when you say most breeders are not at all interested in helping anyone get a start - I looked for 3 years and talked to breeders all over the world before finding the two dear souls who agreed to share their lines with me.

In the way of suggestion to you ... since you have pedigrees (which association holds your cat's pedigree by the way?) why not go ahead and register your cattery name and establish a home cattery? I have to agree with Sam (Wellingtoncats) by saying that if you are going to do it, why not go ahead and do it the right way?

In fact, TCS has a wonderful, lively Breeder's Corner Forum just for our breeder members (and those who wish to learn from them). My Forum Co-Moderator is a Munchkin breeder along with his lovely wife Sandie and I'll bet they would love to answer any questions you might have about the breed. Don't worry about getting jumped on by any of our breeders over there. I run a tight ship and won't mess around with that kind of foolishness. *grin* So, head on over there, check us out, introduce yourself and let's see what we can do together ... looking forward to your contributions.
post #15 of 22
BYB = back yard breeding
post #16 of 22
Just try not to pay attention to anyone not offering help with your specific problem. "GET YOUR CAT SPAYED IMMEDIATELY!!" is in not helpful, it's not like the op can just go down to the spca to get another munchkin.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCatSpiff
Just try not to pay attention to anyone not offering help with your specific problem. "GET YOUR CAT SPAYED IMMEDIATELY!!" is in not helpful, it's not like the op can just go down to the spca to get another munchkin.
Thank You!
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCatSpiff
Just try not to pay attention to anyone not offering help with your specific problem. "GET YOUR CAT SPAYED IMMEDIATELY!!" is in not helpful, it's not like the op can just go down to the spca to get another munchkin.
Let's not forget that the OP wanted advice regarding her cat going into heat. The best advice is "get your cat spayed" because that will eliminate the negative behaviors associated with a cat going into heat. That advice would help the majority of people on this board because they are not looking to breed their cat.

Also....it is one of the forum guidelines on this message board:

Quote:
2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cat. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. By spaying and neutering you enhance your cat's quality of life and improve his or her health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.
For the whole guidelines...go here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15184

I would at this point, move your questions to the breeders section. That seems like a more appropriate forum for your questions since you are planning to breed your cat.

Katie
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
I agree that spaying a cat would be the ultimate answer to ending problem with female in heat. Yet, I have considered spaying ,as per guideline, and as an informed owner have made a decision to have a litter. not becoming a breeder, inorder to have the cat desired without commiting to having extra litters for "profit"(even though breeding doesn't mean making money at times). Come on guys, lighten up some. I just wanted any advice someone might have on easing my cats heat cycle. This is not a debate on BYB. If you don't have advice, just go on to another post please.
post #20 of 22
Before my cat was neutrered(sp?) she drove me up the wall when she was on heat. She would not stop mewing. I had to shut her out my room to get a decent night sleep.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaluna
They walk on a leash, play fetch, and stand up to beg.
Hey my Siamese do this too! I didn't think it was all that unusual myself.
post #22 of 22
I think its only like $20 to register a cattery name. Even if you only want one litter its still a good idea. You will be more likely to get a good stud too if the breeder knows you are registered with an association. Then you can register all of your kittens and you won't be under an obligation to continue if you don't want to.

When my girls in heat I give her belly rubs and she seems to calm down some. There really isn't a whole lot you can do to ease their situation. It can be hard to watch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat in Heat is driving me insane!