TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone tried South Beach diet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone tried South Beach diet?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well i'm not one for falling for weight loss gimmicks and fads, but I've read this book and he's got me believing in it. It seems to make sense logically and biologically speaking. One of my friends has been on it for 6 mos and has lost about 40lbs. I realized i can't be on a diet that requires me to count calories or weigh portions...this one is pretty straight forward.

Has anyone here tried it? Or on it? Horror stories or success stories?

I need all the willpower vibes i can get!
post #2 of 26
It is a less restrictive form of Adkins in my book... will it work yes for the short term unless that is how you could eat for you life time
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
phase 2 doesn't seem too restrictive...unless you have to have carbs at every meal. I think i could live on phase 2. Phase 1 is a bit more work....
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny
Well i'm not one for falling for weight loss gimmicks and fads, but I've read this book and he's got me believing in it. It seems to make sense logically and biologically speaking. One of my friends has been on it for 6 mos and has lost about 40lbs. I realized i can't be on a diet that requires me to count calories or weigh portions...this one is pretty straight forward.

Has anyone here tried it? Or on it? Horror stories or success stories?

I need all the willpower vibes i can get!
I have heard of it. Just like Sharky mentioned, pretty similar to Atkins but not as strict. South Beach along with any other diet will work, but you have to do it, and stick with it. I was on Atkins for 1 1/2 years, lost 67 lbs, now I just watch what I eat, portion control, sugar free, low fat, and excercise 4 - 5 days a week.

I was also a member and moderator to a Atkins diet forum. Here is a South Beach forum you can join, you will get a lot of help and tips.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php
post #5 of 26
I have tried both. SB is a modified Atkins, less restrictive. The botton line is that if you remove all sugar and most processed carbs, you will lose weight, and even faster with exercise. There is so much pos and neg out there on all these diets. If it works for me I will try it. But giving up carbs permanently has been very difficult to me (no potatoes, pasta, bread, white rice, corn, carrots, many fruits etc).
post #6 of 26
I only know a couple with people that have used that diet, and they have lost 30 lbs +.

But you have to stick to it. It's just one of those things you HAVE to stick to get those results.
post #7 of 26
Of course any diet you choose to go on only works as long as you stick to it!

That's my main problem with any diet I have tried.

I think South beach is a good way to eat for life.
Forget about the hyped up media about it. When it comes down to it, South Beach is a Low GI way to eat. It cuts out white stuff, but you can have any other whole grain carbs. Fruits (except watermelon which has lots of sugar),almost all veggies.

I am currently on South Beach. I started it in 2003 and had success for a while and then fell by the wayside and gained it all back. Have just started getting serious about my eating habits again and am doing SB again, just not phase 1.
post #8 of 26
I was on the SBD when I was in the states and lost 16lbs. The phase one really made me go into withdrawal and it was horrible but I am so glad I stuck it out

I really fell off the wagon when I got home to NZ and need to go back on it. But funnily enough, I went to the mall this lunchtime and just happened to get the book on sale so I think it happened for a reason.
post #9 of 26
I'm on he seefood diet...I see food, and I eat it! *Groan* No wonder I don't have a man!!!
post #10 of 26
If you do just exactly as it tells you, it will work for you and it will change your habits for the rest of your life. I started this back in 2003 and I lost 30 pounds. I stopped doing it as strictly, but I noticed a lifechanging eating habit--I stopped craving sweets and fried foods. I can't stand most fried foods now. So, yes, it worked....for me. It might work for you too. I didn't gain but maybe 5 pounds of it back, but I do eat bread occassionally...can't tell you about my sweet intake though...
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagerie mama
I'm on he seefood diet...I see food, and I eat it! *Groan* No wonder I don't have a man!!!
i've been on that diet before!


One of the things I liked about (and made me choose this one) is that it wasn't a drastic (except phase 1) change to how i was doing things. It made me rethink the carbs I ate and how many i ate.

I am only on day 4 of phase 1 and the cravings have been pretty crazy up till now. And i was feeling pretty weak for some reason when i got home from work last night. I feel better today though...and finally a little less craving for cereal or bread this morning.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy
Of course any diet you choose to go on only works as long as you stick to it!

That's my main problem with any diet I have tried.

I think South beach is a good way to eat for life.
Forget about the hyped up media about it. When it comes down to it, South Beach is a Low GI way to eat. It cuts out white stuff, but you can have any other whole grain carbs. Fruits (except watermelon which has lots of sugar),almost all veggies.

I am currently on South Beach. I started it in 2003 and had success for a while and then fell by the wayside and gained it all back. Have just started getting serious about my eating habits again and am doing SB again, just not phase 1.
I`m just re reading the book again....and have been watching what I eat since the first of the year. This is a very healthy diet (er, I guess I should say "way of eating") I`m a diabetic and my Dr approves of it too.
I know I won`t be perfect...but I do hope to lose at least 100 pounds and also get my blood sugar levels under control.
Linda
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampit3d
I`m just re reading the book again....and have been watching what I eat since the first of the year. This is a very healthy diet (er, I guess I should say "way of eating") I`m a diabetic and my Dr approves of it too.
I know I won`t be perfect...but I do hope to lose at least 100 pounds and also get my blood sugar levels under control.
Linda

What a fantastic goal. I think this program is one that people have one of the best chances of starting and sticking to it.

I would love to hear how everyone is doing on their diets and their progress.

I started SB Phase 1 on Saturday and so far so good. -2lbs!
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny
What a fantastic goal. I think this program is one that people have one of the best chances of starting and sticking to it.

I would love to hear how everyone is doing on their diets and their progress.

I started SB Phase 1 on Saturday and so far so good. -2lbs!
2 pounds!...That`s = to 8 sticks of butter you know!
Linda
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
8 sticks of butter....what an image!! I'll have to think about that the next time i'm craving junk food or fast food!
post #16 of 26
i was on it and lost over 100lbs. after the baby i plan on going back on it. i think it is great for people who have problems digesting foods. i have mild to moderate lactose intolerance and and low intolerance to salt. so it really made me watch what i ate. for some reason all the other diets would not work and i would actually get heavier and sicker. so by doing this diet and talking to a dietician i was able to understand that i can't digest a lot of foods that everyone else does. i still had to cut out some of the foods that were on the diet, but my BP went down and i think it has lengthed my life. my husband saw how much weight i lost and went on it also. i am only 27 so for me i shall be a lifer which is good, but sooooooooooo hard sometimes
post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
100lbs...wow that's amazing. I admire your willpower and perserverance! It is so hard sometimes...especially at parties or the holidays when you watch people put out so much good tasting but bad for you food.

I've heard mixed opinions about having a scale when you're on a diet...and how you can become obsessed with what the scale says. What does everyone think. For the first four days i weighed myself every morning....i thought i was getting a little obsessed. I was thinking of just buying a measuring tape and tracking that way. Did anyone keep a journal/track while they dieted?


Status: day 5 and the cravings are gone. I feel full!!! what a great feeling!
post #18 of 26
I tried SB a couple years ago and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, but it got to the point where I didn't want to eat because I was so sick of meat and broccoli! I don't like eggs very much so breakfast was very limited, but I've actually been thinking about going back on it to lose that "belly" fat cause after the holidays my jeans are getting a bit snuggly-wuggly, and not in a good way! My will power is about zero, I'm like Menagerie Mama, my fave diet is the see-food diet!! I am amazed sometimes at the sheer quantity I can eat at one sitting
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277
I tried SB a couple years ago and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks, but it got to the point where I didn't want to eat because I was so sick of meat and broccoli! I don't like eggs very much so breakfast was very limited, but I've actually been thinking about going back on it to lose that "belly" fat cause after the holidays my jeans are getting a bit snuggly-wuggly, and not in a good way! My will power is about zero, I'm like Menagerie Mama, my fave diet is the see-food diet!! I am amazed sometimes at the sheer quantity I can eat at one sitting

If you got through the 2 weeks you should have moved into phase one and then you could have started to introduce the carbs, more veggies and fruit. I thought the first 2 weeks would have been the hardest! Congratulations on being so successful. I hope you are able to get back on it, and find out how to make a more natural part of you lifestyle. I was reading through the phase 2 recipes etc, and i figure i could live quite happily on most of that.
post #20 of 26
My friend was on the Atkins diet, she ate fried bacon and egg three times a day because she said that's what the book said. I doubt it?
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats
My friend was on the Atkins diet, she ate fried bacon and egg three times a day because she said that's what the book said. I doubt it?
I'm not a big fan of the Atkins diet. My dad went on it for about 6 months, and he lost the weight but it wasn't in a health way. Atkins cuts out ALL carbs and doesn't differentiate between good and bad fats (lean meat vs bacon). Carbohydrates are important to the body and without them your body starts breaking down proteins in your muscles (ketosis).
post #22 of 26
I started back on South Beach yesterday. I want to get down about 15 more pounds. This time around it seems to be a lot easier--but I feel like I need to pop a piece of candy in my mouth!

So far I have eaten:

Sunday breakfast: two scrambled eggs sprinkled cheese and pepper

lunch: salad--mixed greens with chicken, cheese, onions and ranch dressing

dinner: balsamic rosemary chicken with homemade cole slaw

this morning I had: boiled egg, pickle and a slice of cheese (I know that may sound gross, but it's good to me!!)

lunch: leftover chicken with coleslaw with a deviled egg
post #23 of 26
not sure if you have the book or are following the website, but when I first when on SB I couldn't drink milk. Now you can, it just has to be low fat or fat free. I think that's why it is much easier this time around.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice
not sure if you have the book or are following the website, but when I first when on SB I couldn't drink milk. Now you can, it just has to be low fat or fat free. I think that's why it is much easier this time around.

Sounds like things are going great for you. I'm feeling great. I have no cravings at all...and i've figured out this quick chicken recipe that i'm addicted to. I usually have 2 slices of turkey bacon and an egg for breakfast, salad for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. I've also discovered these really great frozen dessert thingies that fit within the diet.

I have about 5 more days on phase 1 and then moving on. I'm down 6lbs and feeling fantastic!

GO US!!!!
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny
Sounds like things are going great for you. I'm feeling great. I have no cravings at all...and i've figured out this quick chicken recipe that i'm addicted to. I usually have 2 slices of turkey bacon and an egg for breakfast, salad for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner. I've also discovered these really great frozen dessert thingies that fit within the diet.

I have about 5 more days on phase 1 and then moving on. I'm down 6lbs and feeling fantastic!

GO US!!!!
Care to share that "great frozen dessert thingies" with me?
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice
Care to share that "great frozen dessert thingies" with me?

As soon as i get home and check the box. I've only been able to find them at one grocery store. (i've heard costco might have them). I think they are called Smart Choice fudge bars...they are 90cal and made with splenda so sugar-free!

I'll double check and edit if necessary!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone tried South Beach diet?