TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Petals has some slight discharge.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Petals has some slight discharge.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Petals is only 7 months old and today I noticed a small amount of discharge from her .... ummm... well..... you know.

Does this mean she is in heat?

I have NO WORRIES about her getting pregnant because my only male cat in the house (Garfield) is only 1/2 the man he used to be....
And she DOES NOT go outside.
post #2 of 23
It's very possible she's in heat. Is she showing any other symptoms such as calling or putting her hinny in the air? If not then she may have an infection. As for not having any worries about her getting pregnant, if she truely is in heat then there are many other things to 'worry' about. My cat can't be spayed due to a severe heart murmur so right now she's in heat. Let me tell ya, it is the most ANNOYING thing in the world lol. She won't leave me or my boyfriend alone and rubs on everything and anything. She even chews/rubs her face on our glass coffee table. Not to mention she calls at all hours of the night which makes in impossible to sleep soundly. If you didn't plan on having her fixed you really should cause like I said it's soooooo ANNOYING lol! Right now she just chased my boyfriend into the bathroom in mating position!
post #3 of 23
She may or may not be, it is about time for her. When are you getting her spayed? cuz is could be pyometra too. That's what i thought kitters had when she went in in July, but she had cysts on her ovaries instead! If you do a search for Pyometra in TCS you can read all about it and what it is and why you should get her spayed now. I hope it's notihing but a first heat cycle and that things all progress well for her!
post #4 of 23
Is it clear with a very bad odor? My older cat used to secrete this when I would pet her a lot. It's like she got so relaxed and then it would come out. I never found out what it was, but if she were to do that now, I'd be calling the vet's office for sure.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx
Is it clear with a very bad odor? My older cat used to secrete this when I would pet her a lot. It's like she got so relaxed and then it would come out. I never found out what it was, but if she were to do that now, I'd be calling the vet's office for sure.
I just found out about this one...it is her anal glands and they need to be expressed by a vet. if it is reoccurring you can be shown how to do it if you can handle something that gross. but ya a vet really needs to check it out if that is what is happening.
post #6 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizch6699
It's very possible she's in heat. Is she showing any other symptoms such as calling or putting her hinny in the air? If not then she may have an infection. As for not having any worries about her getting pregnant, if she truely is in heat then there are many other things to 'worry' about. My cat can't be spayed due to a severe heart murmur so right now she's in heat. Let me tell ya, it is the most ANNOYING thing in the world lol. She won't leave me or my boyfriend alone and rubs on everything and anything. She even chews/rubs her face on our glass coffee table. Not to mention she calls at all hours of the night which makes in impossible to sleep soundly. If you didn't plan on having her fixed you really should cause like I said it's soooooo ANNOYING lol! Right now she just chased my boyfriend into the bathroom in mating position!
Nope, she isnt showing ANY of those signs.
And yea, I am a HUGE believer in cats being "fixed".
I actually had an appt. her 4 weeks ago when we had to come up with $800.00 for my daughters dentist then our transmission went out... another $1,200 then it was 1 week from Christmas and we had no presents!! So what we did have we had to get "something" for our 2 children.
I was planning on getting her fixed this coming week once I get paid.
I have just never seen this before so I was wondering if this was her 1st heat cycle or not.
Thanks
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyJilly
She may or may not be, it is about time for her. When are you getting her spayed? cuz is could be pyometra too. That's what i thought kitters had when she went in in July, but she had cysts on her ovaries instead! If you do a search for Pyometra in TCS you can read all about it and what it is and why you should get her spayed now. I hope it's notihing but a first heat cycle and that things all progress well for her!
Hmmmmm... I will look that up... Thanks
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx
Is it clear with a very bad odor? My older cat used to secrete this when I would pet her a lot. It's like she got so relaxed and then it would come out. I never found out what it was, but if she were to do that now, I'd be calling the vet's office for sure.
Well its not super clear. I guess it is b/c it reminds me of Vasoline.
I know, no need to tell me how weird I am.

And I havent noticed any odor with it.
Thanks
post #9 of 23
Kitters didn't have any oder either and it was only once, but she was sleeping a lot more that day than normal. HA!! sleeping more for a cat! I know it sounds wierd but.... true!
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyJilly
Kitters didn't have any oder either and it was only once, but she was sleeping a lot more that day than normal. HA!! sleeping more for a cat! I know it sounds wierd but.... true!
Ohoh.... really? Hmmmm so does Petals. Im checking it out now. Thanks so much.
post #11 of 23
If its a vaginal clear discharge that does not smell then she might be coming into heat. My girl will get very lovey and knead like crazy for 2 weeks before she goes into heat and this whole time she will have a little bit of this clear discharge. She could be on the verge. You will want to make the appointment for the spay when shes not in heat though.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan
Ohoh.... really? Hmmmm so does Petals. Im checking it out now. Thanks so much.
Sarah..ummm when you bring Petals to da V E T.. take BoB wif ya.. hehe
love ya.. Mom
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
If its a vaginal clear discharge that does not smell then she might be coming into heat. My girl will get very lovey and knead like crazy for 2 weeks before she goes into heat and this whole time she will have a little bit of this clear discharge. She could be on the verge. You will want to make the appointment for the spay when shes not in heat though.

This makes me feel better. She had a teeny tiny bit this morning. But still no odor. She has not changed in behavior at all. Except yesturday she slept alot. But today she isnt. Its hard to tell what is unusal amount for her to sleep. Because some days she sleeps alot and some days she doesnt. As does Garfiled and Lilo.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan
Nope, she isnt showing ANY of those signs.
And yea, I am a HUGE believer in cats being "fixed".
I actually had an appt. her 4 weeks ago when we had to come up with $800.00 for my daughters dentist then our transmission went out... another $1,200 then it was 1 week from Christmas and we had no presents!! So what we did have we had to get "something" for our 2 children.
I was planning on getting her fixed this coming week once I get paid.
I have just never seen this before so I was wondering if this was her 1st heat cycle or not.
Thanks
I'm guessing that it's probably her first heat cycle. I'm not sure what the norm is, but my cat had a very short first cycle which didn't include all of the yelping or hinny raising, she was just very affectionate and would roll on the ground. It also took about a month or two for her to have her next heat cycle, whereas now she has one every 2 weeks or so. Since your kitty doesn't seem to have gone through a heat cycle before I would doubt that it's pyo. Is it continual discharge or just every once in a while? You may want to clean her with a wet white washcloth to see if there are any other colors that you can't see now.
post #15 of 23
she is still to young for Pyro. generally speaking , cats get pyro after about 2 years of age.
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizch6699
I'm guessing that it's probably her first heat cycle. I'm not sure what the norm is, but my cat had a very short first cycle which didn't include all of the yelping or hinny raising, she was just very affectionate and would roll on the ground. It also took about a month or two for her to have her next heat cycle, whereas now she has one every 2 weeks or so. Since your kitty doesn't seem to have gone through a heat cycle before I would doubt that it's pyo. Is it continual discharge or just every once in a while? You may want to clean her with a wet white washcloth to see if there are any other colors that you can't see now.

Okay it is definitly her 1st heat cylce.
I feel bad.
She has her hiney raised. And is making some sounds. The sounds arent loud though.
She is rolling all over the floor.
She started all of this behavior yesturday.
She isnt in any pain is she?
If I have to wait till her heat cycle is over before I get her fixed.... how do I know?
Does she just stop doing these things?
I know I have a lot of questions but this is my first expierince with this. Out of all of my cats. Lilo ecscaped outside on her 1st heat cycle (im guessing it was her 1st b/c I never saw any of this behavior with her, and she was then only about 7 months old) and came back 2 days later. I found out about 6 weeks later she was prego.
All of our cats we had growing up my mom had fixed very soon.

Thanks-~SARAH~
post #17 of 23
Does your cat usually play a lot? I knew first thing in the morning when my girl was out of heat. She was running around and playing with her buddy, all back to normal. It all just stops pretty abruptly. Hers lasted about 5 intense days. Desperation might be a better word than pain for what she is experiencing. It does seem painful though . Given that its her first heat and winter it probably won't last long. I'd make and appointment for the spay and see how she is doing as it gets closer. Two weeks is probably a good time to wait.
post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals
Does your cat usually play a lot? I knew first thing in the morning when my girl was out of heat. She was running around and playing with her buddy, all back to normal. It all just stops pretty abruptly. Hers lasted about 5 intense days. Desperation might be a better word than pain for what she is experiencing. It does seem painful though . Given that its her first heat and winter it probably won't last long. I'd make and appointment for the spay and see how she is doing as it gets closer. Two weeks is probably a good time to wait.

Yea she usually plays alot. She still seems to be playing quite a bit.
And yes, your right, desperation seems to describe her right now.
I feel bad for her. I mean I guess its just me. She still seems happy and playful but I know that she knows something is going on with her body and she knows what she needs but she isnt getting it. She is even REALLY trying to get Garfields attention. She keeps putting her butt in his face.
He looks at her like ::censor::censor::censor::
And its weird to me because she is so tiny (she is the runt of the litter and still tee-tiny). So to see her so small and so desperate makes my heart hurt.

I called the vet and the 2 weeks is the soonest they have anyways. So I took it.
Thanks so much for your advice.
post #19 of 23
NP. My girl is ready for breeding and I still look at her and think - your just a baby! Shes also small but I saw her mother the other day and she is also tiny so I'm not anticipating her to get very big. I can't figure out how she can carry babies and be so little, but its pretty common so I guess its ok .

If your other cat still has it in him, he can act like he's breeding her and that will bring her out of heat.
post #20 of 23
one of my queens is really small too-like 6 lbs. and she has babies just fine (so far).
Her daughter passed her up in size at 8 months!
post #21 of 23
When Kitters went into heat she used to follow DH around all over. If he left the house with me to work and we were gone all day she would go out of heat really fast. If you get close to the date of the spay and she's still in heat maybe try seperating her and garfield to get that testosterone out of her system! worth a try!
post #22 of 23
she's not in pain - but she'll really like it if you gently massage her back near the base of her tail hopefully she won't be in heat for her spay - they'll still spay her, but many vets charge extra if the cat is in heat at the time. my biggest problem w/Java was she peed EVERYWHERE when she was in heat!
post #23 of 23
I wouldn't spay a cat in heat just because their organs are engorged with blood. One false move and they could end up with severe blood loss. Its a much more complicated surgery. I think it should only be done at the utmost need (ie in capture and fix missions). Otherwise its worth waiting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Petals has some slight discharge.