New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

rant  

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I was an owner of ragdoll for about one month. I adopted him from another family for free. They wanted 100 bucks but decided to give him up for free because there were no buyers. I sold my ragdoll (one year old, fixed, and has shots but needs them again) for 80 bucks to a woman who has no pets and is familiar with raising purebred cats (her elderly himalayan passed away). I had to give up my cat because he was constantly attacking my siamese and preferred being the only cat in the house. The ex-owner says what I did was wrong that I had promised to return the cat to her if things did not work out with the cat. But I was told that I should not return this ragdoll to this ex-owner because the cat would likely be sent to a shelter where it would be put down. I think the ex-owner is angry that I made some profit from the sale of this ragdoll. Did I do the right thing by selling this ragdoll for a small fee?
post #2 of 26
Hello,

As a cat breeder myself, my contract states that for any reason the owner can't keep the cat/kitten, it comes back to me. I have only had one come back, when it was a little over a year old, as the people were moving. I wouldn't have even thought of putting him down. We kept him as an altered pet.
I doubt if the breeder is upset about you making money, he/she probably just wants to know where her cat is, and make sure it is in the best home possible. The breeder doesn't know anything about the home you have placed the cat in and is probably worried that this cat is going to continue going from home to home.
I microchip my kittens now, listing me as an emergency contact, so if a shelter or rescue ended up with one of my cats/kittens, I could be notified and find a home for the Ragdoll myself.
Since you have already placed the cat, maybe giving the new owners information and letting the breeder contact them, and so the breeder feels better about the cats new home.
Good luck to you.

Purrs,
Stormi
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
This ex-owner is not a breeder at all. She bought from a breeder.
post #4 of 26
I would say that if the previous owner stipulated that you return the cat to her, if things didn't work out, then you should have returned her, as per the agreement. As far as I'm concerned, it would have been the honourable thing to do. I seriously doubt she would have taken the Ragdoll to a shelter. I'm sure she would have tried to find another home more suitable for this cat. You could have put her in contact with the person you "SOLD" the cat to, and she could have determined whether or not the new family was suitable for her cat. After all, she told you, BEFORE you took the cat that she wanted the cat back, if it didn't work out with you.
post #5 of 26
if you think they are worried about the fee take the amount the cats has cost you in food, vets bills etc and donate the rest to an animal shelter, that way they cannot complain.

it might be a good idea to put the current owner in touch with the previous owner so they can keep in contact if they wish.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
This ex-owner is not a breeder at all. She bought from a breeder.
It could be that the ex owner informed the breeder that you now owned the cat...it may be a matter that the ex owner is upset because now they do not have the correct information to provide to the breeder as to who owns this cat. I agree that it is your responsibility now to give the new owner's information to the ex owner.

Katie
post #7 of 26
It probably would have been best to at least call the original owner and tell them the problem you are having and tell them about the lady you wanted to give the cat to.

Since it is already done, you could call the original owner back and give them the number of the new owner, and say you are feeling bad about it since they did want the cat back if there were any problems. Then if you want to take that suggestion and donate the money to the shelter, that would be a great idea. Tell the previous owners about it too. Just to at least keep peace and so they aren't angry at you or anything and so they can be assured you did the right thing for the cat.
post #8 of 26
You know, if the ex owner got the cat from a breeder, it could be that the breeder wanted the cat back if the ex owner couldn't keep it and maybe she shouldn't have actually given the cat to you in the first place. Maybe she just wants herself covered and to know where the cat is living so the breeder doesn't get mad. Many breeders make you sign a contract to give the cat back or contact them if a problem occurs.
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
No, I think she's angry because I could sell the cat and she could not. This is more about money than about principle. She wanted the cat returned and make some money. No, I did the right thing. She relinquished control to me so I have no obligations to her. We never signed a contract nor did we officially have a verbal agreement. She told me after I complained about the cat's behavior that I could always return the cat but it was up to me what I wanted. I think she's bitter that I made money (she stated that some people think only of money...well too bad).
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
No, I think she's angry because I could sell the cat and she could not. This is more about money than about principle. She wanted the cat returned and make some money. No, I did the right thing. She relinquished control to me so I have no obligations to her. We never signed a contract nor did we officially have a verbal agreement. She told me after I complained about the cat's behavior that I could always return the cat but it was up to me what I wanted. I think she's bitter that I made money (she stated that some people think only of money...well too bad).
This is yet another reason that breeders should microchip their cats and hvae them listed as an emergency contact.....I wonder if the breeder is aware that this cat has now changed hands 3 times.

Katie
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
That breeder probably did not care because my impression of the last owner told me was that she received the cat at a discount price or even for free.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
That breeder probably did not care because my impression of the last owner told me was that she received the cat at a discount price or even for free.
You haven't spoken to the breeder.

Quote:
last owner told me was that she received the cat at a discount price or even for free
Doesn't mean the breeder didn't care about it's cat. BTW...my comment was also geared to all the breeders on this board who do care about the cats that they place.

Katie
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
I know but I really think that this woman is angry that she lost money and that I could find the right new owner for this cat. She really needs to grow up.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
I know but I really think that this woman is angry that she lost money and that I could find the right new owner for this cat. She really needs to grow up.
The woman who is upset is the ex owner...my comments were about the breeder who you didn't speak with. You have posted this in a breeders forum...as has come to light during this post..this is an owner to owner issue and not a breeder issue as you never dealt with the breeder...so at this point, I was going to suggest this post be moved out of the breeders section.

Katie
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
the reason why post on the breeder section is because my cat is a purebred...i don't mind if you delete this post...it's pointless to argue...I made money and someone has a new cat
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
the reason why post on the breeder section is because my cat is a purebred...i don't mind if you delete this post...it's pointless to argue...I made money and someone has a new cat
I wasn't going to ask it be deleted..but that it be moved to a more appropriate section.

Katie
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
the reason why post on the breeder section is because my cat is a purebred...i don't mind if you delete this post...it's pointless to argue...I made money and someone has a new cat

wow..that is callous. it shouldnt be about making money.
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
shoulds has nothing to do with is.......stop assuming that my purpose was to make money...I said the obvious: I received a fee (money) and someone else received a cat (product that has to be purchased with cash).....you must literal in your interpretation in order to be effective in communication
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1
This is yet another reason that breeders should microchip their cats and hvae them listed as an emergency contact.....I wonder if the breeder is aware that this cat has now changed hands 3 times.

Katie
I think I am doing the quoting thing right, sorry still new here.

You are right, every breeder should be thinking of microchipping and being listed as an emergency or secondary contact. Responsible breeders do what they can as far as questionaires, and sometimes even home checks, but we can't be psychics and know what will happen in the future. Even the most well meaning owner may have something happen, and not think of contacting the breeder. I know that if a kitten/cat of mine shows up in a rescue or shelter, that I will be able to be notified.
If a breeder has a contract in place asking to get the cat back in the event that the new owner can no longer keep said cat, then please believe that they are doing this for the benefit of the cat. They want to know what type of home their cat is in, and also be there for the new owners if they have any questions. It also helps, if a genetic problem arises, that they can be notified and make neccesary changes in their breeding program. I can't imagine someone asking for a cat back to go and euthanize or take it to a shelter.
If there is anyway for Catman to let the breeder know of the new owners or see if the old owner can notify the breeder of who the cat is with now, it would be for the best, and the ethical thing to do.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
the reason why post on the breeder section is because my cat is a purebred...i don't mind if you delete this post...it's pointless to argue...I made money and someone has a new cat

I have to say, your attitude really makes me sad. You should have been honourable and given the cat back.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
honourable? I really don't know if that ex-owner would not put down the cat or send it to a shelter. I had to trust my gut instincts and find a loving home for the cat. I did just that!
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatMan
shoulds has nothing to do with is.......stop assuming that my purpose was to make money...I said the obvious: I received a fee (money) and someone else received a cat (product that has to be purchased with cash).....you must literal in your interpretation in order to be effective in communication
Why would you even describe this cat as being a product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCatman
it's pointless to argue...I made money and someone has a new cat
First off it seems to me, all you really cared about was making a buck off this poor cat. It really shows in your post. You say we should stop assuming that your purpose was to make money, when that is pretty much all you talk about.

Your right with one thing and that is the arguing part. We see and feel differently than you do about this so there is nothing more to discuss.

I just hope that cat is not tossed on to anyone else and so on. Some people are not meant to have animals, they are clueless of their needs, and that it is their responsibility to care for the animals for the remaining of their lives.
post #23 of 26
I think I should come to the defence of the OP......

As he stated in his first post...he felt the lady who gave him this cat was sketchy w/ her behavior......

Including just giving him the cat for free because she couldnt find a buyer and needed to get it off her hands....And obviously at no point did she contact the breeder..........

These all sound like red flags to me........

Now he gets the cat w/ o knowlege of the breeder nor any written or verbal contract w/ the previous owner....He then gives the per to a women who just lost her very old Himylaian...so that she may have companionship...He also charged a fee....Which was a good thing to do.....It eliminates some undisirable people...........

In his first posts it is apperent he cared for the cats wellbeing as he gave it to a women who is farmilliar w/ purebreds....and didnt want to give it back to the previous owner as he felt she may discard the cat in a not-so-nice fasion......He explained that he thought he was doing the best thing for the cat....And under the circumstances I do not feel that I would have acted any differently.........

As for his comments about the cat being "property"...I like the rest of you were really peeved by it...until I reread his posts and realized that he was just frustrated, because he was getting bashed for doing what he thought was right.....

I feel his snide comments were nothing more than frustration...as it is completly apperant to me that he cared for the kit......

Thank You
post #24 of 26
I agree with weloveellie. I stayed out of this post and for the most part agreed with the op until:
I made money and someone has a new cat


the money has been brought up alot...IMO not cool.
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
"I just hope that cat is not tossed on to anyone else and so on. Some people are not meant to have animals, they are clueless of their needs, and that it is their responsibility to care for the animals for the remaining of their lives."

I think a cat will feel miserable if it has to be locked in a room because it doesn't get along with feline roommate. That's why I found a good home where an alpha cat can roam free as he wish.

"property": technically that's what pets are. Don't you "own" your cat? Or did you sign an official agreement with the cat that he should be treated like an equal partner or a human being and can do whatever it wants to do including misbehaving in the house? If you buy it, take care it, then you own it. LOL. I guess anyone can walk into my home and take my cat for a free ride since he really can't be deemed owned property and that strangers should have more privileges with him than I do.
post #26 of 26
I also feel I must step in here in defense of the original poster ... while money has indeed been brought up here, I think it is safe to say that we ~all~ feel that asking for an adoption fee is the best way to ensure that someone will value the cat. The original poster had no contract, verbal or otherwise, with the breeder. That contract was with the person from whom he acquired the cat and SHE should have been the one to contact the breeder.

I think it is time for this thread to be closed now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
This thread is locked