or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Boots got into a glue mouse trap...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boots got into a glue mouse trap...

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
My cat got into a glue trap we had set up for mice today....and has glue stuck in his toes and clumped together on his tail. I was able to pull a lot of it off but theres still a lot in there thats not easy to get out. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to use as a solvent to get it out or anything? I called a vet and they didnt know, just said to call the trap company and ask them...but I dont have the packaging and don't remember what kind of traps they were. I can go look at target but I thought Id try asking here 1st. Any suggestions are appreciated...
post #2 of 43
get to the grocery store and buy a can of Crisco lard. Slather the lard on the cat, wait about ten minutes and then using a warmed towel (in the dryer or the microwave) remove the lard gently. The adhesive should come right off. also check the package for the trap if it is still around. Some of them have toxins, and some of them use just straight glue
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nah
My cat got into a glue trap we had set up for mice today....and has glue stuck in his toes and clumped together on his tail. I was able to pull a lot of it off but theres still a lot in there thats not easy to get out. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to use as a solvent to get it out or anything? I called a vet and they didnt know, just said to call the trap company and ask them...but I dont have the packaging and don't remember what kind of traps they were. I can go look at target but I thought Id try asking here 1st. Any suggestions are appreciated...
Oh boy, that's not too good! There is a product called "Goo-Gone" that is made from citrus products. It's a very good adhesive solvent. Your cat will despise the smell of it, but it's effective.
If you try it, be sure to clean it off completely with soap before letting your cat lick itself clean in that area. I have no idea if it's toxic or not, but I would imagine it's not a good idea to ingest it.
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals
Oh boy, that's not too good! There is a product called "Goo-Gone" that is made from citrus products. It's a very good adhesive solvent. Your cat will despise the smell of it, but it's effective.
If you try it, be sure to clean it off completely with soap before letting your cat lick itself clean in that area. I have no idea if it's toxic or not, but I would imagine it's not a good idea to ingest it.
Ditto, that Goo-gone stuff is great!
Same stuff, different brand is dissolv-it, basically it's a citrus based gunk remover.
Very handy when you have kids
post #5 of 43
I have to say that I really hate these kinds of mouse traps. Call me crazy, to some people, yes, they are just mice, but all animals deserve not to suffer a horrible death. If you think about it, the mouse sticks to the trap, then either sits for days starving to death or sometimes they try to chew off their own legs just to get out of the trap, which they usually don't succeed in doing, because once they've chewed the leg off, they have to move forward and just get stuck again. Please consider using live traps and transporting the mice somewhere else, or at least use a snap trap, even though they don't always work either, but at least they have a bit more of a chance of not suffering! Not to mention the countless other animals that get stuck in them accidentally, cats and rabbits included! Sorry, had to vent as I feel very strongly about this! I've had to de-glue many cats at my clinic because people use these traps. (We use mineral oil and a flea comb)
post #6 of 43
Frantic got caught in one of those traps when he was a few months old. The packaging said to use plain vegetable oil to remove the trap. Just pour it over the glue and it will release. Wipe if off with a paper towel.
post #7 of 43
this may be a silly question, but if you have a cat, why do you need mouse traps ? I thought a cat IS the mouse trap ?
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpiano
this may be a silly question, but if you have a cat, why do you need mouse traps ? I thought a cat IS the mouse trap ?

Though this is true, and some people do get cats for this reason....Mice are transport hosts for a lot of diseases and paraistes.....such as tapeworm, toxoplasmosis....and even bubonic plague.........I think that is why it would be more prefereable to trap these mice w/ an alternate method
post #9 of 43
I have always used sonic alarms to repel mice and htey don't seem to bother cats.
post #10 of 43
My suggestion??? Don't use glue mouse traps. They are terribly inhumane. Go get yourself a live trap, about $7 at WalMart. Check the trap daily and release any mice outside. Live and let live.

Can you imagine getting stuck to something and literally starving to death??? Or chewing off your appendages to get unstuck, only to get stuck again??? Why would you want to put any animal through that?
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi
My suggestion??? Don't use glue mouse traps. They are terribly inhumane. Go get yourself a live trap, about $7 at WalMart. Check the trap daily and release any mice outside. Live and let live.

Can you imagine getting stuck to something and literally starving to death??? Or chewing off your appendages to get unstuck, only to get stuck again??? Why would you want to put any animal through that?
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I've seen a mouse in a glue trap, it's pretty horrible for the mouse. It doesn't die quickly in any way shape or form.
post #12 of 43
Thread Starter 
First off, thanks for the help, I first used lard, then regular vegetable oil and Its all out now and boots is happy. After cleaning off the lard and oil, I gave him a bath and used his usual shampoo on him to try and get the grease out. This morning I noticed that he is still really greasy in the areas I used it on...his feet, tail and belly. I already tried giving him a bath so what else do I need to do to get it all out?
post #13 of 43
Please do not use glue mousetraps. They are unbelievably inhumane. The mouse will either starve to death or die from literally chewing his limbs off trying to escape. If you must use lethal mouse traps (which I don't advocate), please at least use the snap type so death at least comes much more quickly.

Much better, though, are humane mouse traps coupled with eliminating whatever holes the mice are using to gain access to your home.
post #14 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi
My suggestion??? Don't use glue mouse traps. They are terribly inhumane. Go get yourself a live trap, about $7 at WalMart. Check the trap daily and release any mice outside. Live and let live.

Can you imagine getting stuck to something and literally starving to death??? Or chewing off your appendages to get unstuck, only to get stuck again??? Why would you want to put any animal through that?
I now realize glue traps are bad to use with cats because cats are just too curious. I did place both traps in spots I didnt think he would get them, but the one he got into was obviously not quite out of his reach. I don't, however, understand why people are making such a big fuss about using them to catch mice. Yes...they do suffer when they get caught, but if I was to have caught it in a live trap and let it go outside like some people have suggested....it would've either found a way back into our building, gotten into someones car, or it would've frozen to death outside in our cold minneapolis weather, which would've been just as slow and crappy a death as a glue trap. Snapping traps don't always work, I have used them before and found them sprung, with no mouse in them many a time....and in the event that it does work, they can create a bit of a mess.
The other option, which is to let my cat eat it, would be even worse. My cat caught the origional mouse that led me to buy the traps....he was batting it around, clawing it and torturing it....luckily I was around so he couldn't eat it...because it couldve gotten him sick....so yes he is there to catch him but letting him eat the mouse is not the way to go....and if I had it would've been more painful than getting stuck in a trap. There is not really a nice way to get rid of a mouse...so settle down....theyre just stupid little mice which are going to be killed no matter which way you do it. I am an animal lover but Im sorry I really dont care how a little mouse I am trying to get rid of dies.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nah
The other option, which is to let my cat eat it, would be even worse. My cat caught the origional mouse that led me to buy the traps....he was batting it around, clawing it and torturing it....luckily I was around so he couldn't eat it...because it couldve gotten him sick....so yes he is there to catch him but letting him eat the mouse is not the way to go....and if I had it would've been more painful than getting stuck in a trap. There is not really a nice way to get rid of a mouse...so settle down....theyre just stupid little mice which are going to be killed no matter which way you do it. I am an animal lover but Im sorry I really dont care how a little mouse I am trying to get rid of dies.
Honestly, it is more humane for the mouse to be killed by a cat. When a cat makes a kill, they usually snap the spinal cord which is instant death. Even if the cat plays with the mouse before killing, you are still talking about the difference between suffering for minutes vs. suffering for days.

Allowing a mouse to remain stuck in a glue trap for days before he finally dies, literally chewing off his limbs in an attempt to free himself, is simply cruel. A mouse has a brain and a nervous system and is absolutely no different from a cat in terms of ability to suffer pain.
post #16 of 43
Well, to each his own, but I can't imagine why anyone would let any animal die such a horrible death, "stupid little mouse" or not...
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagerie mama
Well, to each his own, but I can't imagine why anyone would let any animal die such a horrible death, "stupid little mouse" or not...

MICE/RATS are used in lab experiments because their brains and nervous systems are SO MUCH like humans.
They die a slow agonizing death and I think it is very CRUEL to say the least!
Please find an alternate way of killing the "stupid little mouse"
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiferal
Honestly, it is more humane for the mouse to be killed by a cat. When a cat makes a kill, they usually snap the spinal cord which is instant death. Even if the cat plays with the mouse before killing, you are still talking about the difference between suffering for minutes vs. suffering for days.

Allowing a mouse to remain stuck in a glue trap for days before he finally dies, literally chewing off his limbs in an attempt to free himself, is simply cruel. A mouse has a brain and a nervous system and is absolutely no different from a cat in terms of ability to suffer pain.
I've used the glue traps before and I don't like them either, but I have to say if you quickly get to the mouse/rat after thery get stuck and then drop the whole trap in a bucket of water upside down you can drown them quickly and there will be no suffering.
It's less suffering that way then to poision them and those live traps don't work very well with some rats they are just too smart.
post #19 of 43
There i no reason to use glue traps. Use the live traps, and stop them from getting back in. Or use snap traps if you feel the need to kill them. Mice are creatures just like we are, and if they must die, there is no reason to make them suffer more.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool
There i no reason to use glue traps. Use the live traps, and stop them from getting back in. Or use snap traps if you feel the need to kill them. Mice are creatures just like we are, and if they must die, there is no reason to make them suffer more.
Sometimes snap traps don't kill they maime and whats worse the rat gets away to die a slow death from being seriously hurt, so glue is best if you drown the rat right away after it's caught. Live traps aren't good because the rat comes back or goes into someone elses house.
My "live trap" is my bullmastiff. He catches and kills them in a jiffy if he sees any in the yard.
post #21 of 43
"and stop them from getting back in."

I meant he should block up the holes so the mice could not get back in. But what if he is not there to moniter each glue trap? The mice would suffer then.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool
"and stop them from getting back in."

I meant he should block up the holes so the mice could not get back in. But what if he is not there to moniter each glue trap? The mice would suffer then.
Well, only put the glue traps down when your home. You can hear the mice/rats when they get caught on the trap because they squeek.
When I lived in this one house (don't live there now thank goodness) the neighbors had a junkyard in the back and it bred rats. I never knew how they got into the house so I wouldn't know how to block off the entrance routes. The neighborhood was overrun by rats. On roofs, in bushes smased on the streets-everywhere! I wouldn't want to live catch them and let them go!!!
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbabe
Well, only put the glue traps down when your home. You can hear the mice/rats when they get caught on the trap because they squeek.
When I lived in this one house (don't live there now thank goodness) the neighbors had a junkyard in the back and it bred rats. I never knew how they got into the house so I wouldn't know how to block off the entrance routes. The neighborhood was overrun by rats. On roofs, in bushes smased on the streets-everywhere! I wouldn't want to live catch them and let them go!!!

Ewwww, that is so nasty. But if you do not live in a place like that(i sure hope not!), live traps should be okay if you can find how they get in.
post #24 of 43
yeah they even chewed the wires in our wall. The phone went out! One got electricuted in the wall by chewing a wrie and it stunk for weeks!
Man, there was nothing you could do to rid yourself of those rats.
During the day when out in the yard if you wanlked by the bushes they would be all rustling around in there. One was behind a log and I thought it was a squirrl unitll it ran and I seen it's tail! For some reaon there was a population explosion in that area and it didn't help with the junkyard being so close.
To make matters worse my hubby is extreamly petrified of rodents! He is phobic.
post #25 of 43
oh and we tried the plug in thing that makes the sound they dont like-that didn't work. And it dosent matter how clean you are they still come in.
post #26 of 43
Sounds like the perfect place to move a speutered feral colony to, as soon as they all had their shots. You could get some volunteers to make sure the cats didn't actually eat the rats... and problem solved!!
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool
Sounds like the perfect place to move a speutered feral colony to, as soon as they all had their shots. You could get some volunteers to make sure the cats didn't actually eat the rats... and problem solved!!
There were quite a few starys that lived there. Actually, I don't mind if the cats eat the rats that what they are designed to eat. As long as the rat was not poisioned before the cat got it.
If I could stand to do it i'd feed my cats some mice. I thought about buying some feeder mice for them but just couldn't do it after looking into the mouses little beaty eyes
post #28 of 43
Thread Starter 
Regardless, I only had 2 traps and I had checked em just about everyday, and I haven't caught anything with em anyway...besides my cat. Had I caught a mouse tho I was planning on putting it out of its misery. Speaking of my cat....no one answered my question about getting the oil/lard out of my cats hair. I cleaned it off with a warm towel and then gave him a bath and shampooed his feet and tail figuring that should do the trick. Now his fur is just really greasy in those areas and Im not sure how to get it out.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nah
Regardless, I only had 2 traps and I had checked em just about everyday, and I haven't caught anything with em anyway...besides my cat. Had I caught a mouse tho I was planning on putting it out of its misery. Speaking of my cat....no one answered my question about getting the oil/lard out of my cats hair. I cleaned it off with a warm towel and then gave him a bath and shampooed his feet and tail figuring that should do the trick. Now his fur is just really greasy in those areas and Im not sure how to get it out.
Sorry we kinda went OT earlier but try dishwashing liquid to get the oil out. Dishwashing liquid is desigend to wash off oil.
post #30 of 43
Just soap should do the trick in breaking down the oils. Give them a good bath, and try to lather them more than once. Then, rinse them extremely well.


I am sorry, we were upset because you didn't say you checked the traps every day. Members here believe in being kind and humane always to all animals. At least, most members. But all the ones that have replied do, and just don't like to hear about any animals suffering.

So good luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Boots got into a glue mouse trap...