New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Finding a Manx kitten  

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to find a pet female manx kitten and live in the panhandel of Florida. I have serached but not fournd any catterys near me. I have found catterys in other states but they really have long contracts that i disagree with. I'm not going to tell the breeder if i change my address or phone number or tell them if I give the cat to my freind to watch while i'm away and THEIR address and phone number. Which many contracts I have seen require. Also there prices seem a little steep $175 for a pet quality cat plus about $300 to ship it??!!!, that seems a little outrageous to me (correct me if i'm wrong). Can any one recommend a good place to find manx kittens near me or a cattery that sells kittens in the $50- $100 range? any help would be apprecaited.
post #2 of 23
I would suggest looking for a Manx Rescue.

Also, I think those breeders are just very caring about who gets their cats and they want to make sure you aren't going to do anything irresponsible, for example, if you move away and decide to not find a place that allows cats. They want to make sure you aren't going to leave it behind or dump it at a shelter or give it away for free to a random person who doesn't know how to care for a cat or who will sell it for research. They would most likely offer to help you and take the cat back. It isn't a big deal really, and a lot of shelters do it too, well some do. That is weird that they want the number and address of your friend who is watching the cat while you are away, I don't know about that one

but check out a rescue that is specifically for Manx cats. I am sure there are some, do a google search.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxmanmatty
I'm looking to find a pet female manx kitten and live in the panhandel of Florida. I have serached but not fournd any catterys near me. I have found catterys in other states but they really have long contracts that i disagree with. I'm not going to tell the breeder if i change my address or phone number or tell them if I give the cat to my freind to watch while i'm away and THEIR address and phone number. Which many contracts I have seen require. Also there prices seem a little steep $175 for a pet quality cat plus about $300 to ship it??!!!, that seems a little outrageous to me (correct me if i'm wrong). Can any one recommend a good place to find manx kittens near me or a cattery that sells kittens in the $50- $100 range? any help would be apprecaited.
For that price..you are probably best to go through a rescue group/shelter. It may not be a full blooded manx, but since you are just looking for one to be a pet then a mix will probably be ok. Go here:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Cat

Scroll down to Manx and click on it. It will ask for your zip code and will show you if there are any that are close to you. I just don't know of any catteries that will sell you a kitten for that amount.

Katie
post #4 of 23
That seems like a really low price actually. You can't even get a shelter cat for $50.00 nowadays (it's $80.00 here for a mixed breed cat from the SPCA).
I've also never heard of having to give phone and addy of a friend watching the cat.
post #5 of 23
Is there a CFA cat show sometime in the year near where you live?
You can meet breeders there also, and sometimes they have kittys for sale. You still have to fill out the paper work. But you will be able to meet them and maybe one is in your state.I met the breeder of my abbys at the show. We made plans before the show to meet. I traveled 500 miles round trip to get both of them one in 2004 and one in 2005.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats
Is there a CFA cat show sometime in the year near where you live?
You can meet breeders there also, and sometimes they have kittys for sale. You still have to fill out the paper work. But you will be able to meet them and maybe one is in your state.I met the breeder of my abbys at the show. We made plans before the show to meet. I traveled 500 miles round trip to get both of them one in 2004 and one in 2005.
I doubt this person will find a manx at a show for $50.00
post #7 of 23
that seems a very low price. I'm glad breeders ask for full contact info, though asking for a phone of a friend watching a cat is a bit much, unless it's for extended period of time. remember, to a good, caring, quality breeder every kitten is like their child.

In fact, I'd think it's you who in fact is turning away breeders with exaggerated control over your cat, maybe they're thinking you're buying the pet to breed, and therefore do not want to sign a contract?

I'd say relax your attitude and a kitten will come sooner than you think it's a two-way street, a breeder would rather pass up a sale than give a kitten to a person they're not comfortable with.
post #8 of 23
I turned away three potential kitten buyers from my last litter due to contract disputes. One asked me to email him an advance copy of my agreement, which I did - and he sent it back to me marked up in red! Needless to say, he didn't buy any of my kittens. Nor did the other two who questioned my agreement.

Breeders who seem to be so restrictive are the ones who truly care about their cats and what happens to them. I would be skeptical of anyone who wasn't so diligent.
post #9 of 23
Is there any reason why the kittens needs to be a female? I'd be a little skeptical about selling a kitten to you. The first reason is if you can't afford more then $50.00 for a purbred kitten then you can't afford vet care. Then there's the need for a female cat...most people don't care what sex the kitten is unless they want to breed it. Most people don't care what's on the contract either unless they want to breed or resell the cat.
post #10 of 23
I have a Manx "found" kitty - that I "found" straying
outside in December last year.

Now, breeders won't let you call
them Manx if you don't have papers. Based
on the number of physical "matches"
in her build (not just legs, tail, but also
ears, eyes, muzzle shape and depth/breadth
of joints, boxy body etc.). I do believe my found
kitty IS manx, but perhaps not "show" quality.

If you would like, some breeders will give you retired
show cats - that is, cats that have been shown, and
are no longer in the breeding program. These cost
less, and usually are lovely cats.

While I ADORE my Manx kitty - I would not buy
a Manx kitty because of price - flat out can't afford it, LOL!

And with so many Manx look alikes awaiting homes, I'd
suggest Manxalot rescue to you...

As to price, yes Manx aren't breed alot, nor
are they "popular" so the breeders
do charge alot. Most are very concerned their
babies be placed in good homes, hence the contract.

I myself, cannot have indoor only at this
point in my life and so, that's one
reason I can't have "papered" or breed cats.

Of course, any cat that winds up at my
house, well, they ARE in gravy, just
don't know it .... LOL...

I could never and would never lie to a breeder about
the contract. If I could keep inside, I'd say so.
If I wasn't going to do so, then I'd say that too...

there is a Manx cattery in Florida BTW - don't know if
they are in business still. Dey Dream is a good cattery,
and they are at:

http://www.deydreammanx.com/


Also Kelsha is in florida:

http://www.manx-kittens.com/

And yes, shipping costs, unless you go
pick up the cat yourself...
post #11 of 23
I foster for a rescue agency, and we charge $100 for a mixed breed cat or kitten. That covers their vet costs. All the foster homes are totally volunteer, we don't make any money! So I do not know how a breeder could afford to sell a cat for $50!

We also have people sign a contract...we ask things like do you own your home, or if you rent does your landlord allow pets. Lots of things that may seem overly picky, but the goal is to find permanent homes for the cats. And these are just little unwanted moggies (mongrels)!

Good luck finding a kitty. You will probably end up paying more, but I'm sure you will find one in time.
post #12 of 23
I don't think that price seems too steep for a purebred cat, though personally, I wouldn't buy a purebred cat, (sorry breeders...) I'd check the rescues first. Please be well informed of the health conditions this breed can have before you purchase, such as spinal problems and problems defecating. Not saying they all do, but if not properly bred, this breed can have some major health problems! please do some research first, if you haven't already! Thanks!
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry I guess $175 isn't to much to pay for a cat. I just never realized that pet quality cats could be worth so much. I guess I will have to pay at lest that then to get what I want.

One of my main complaints with these catterys is based on their contcats, if they ever saw the house where I live they would never sell me a cat. It's not bad but unfinished and kind of dirty. Also I am strongly against giving out my address to people I buy stuff from, ( unless I am renting or using credit cards in which case it benifical for both parties) let alone my unlisted phone number and new address in case mine ever changes. If they are going to be so over protective of the cat why even sell it in the first place . It makes me feel like they are going to come and visit me and my cat, which I would not like. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here who sells cats, but I don't want people who bought I stuff from coming to my house or calling to check up onthe product I bought. I mean, how would you like it after buying comupter from the geek at Best Buy He/She comes over to check up on your computer make sure it is good use, has anti-virus software, has been defragmented, not being illeagly used, not full of illegally downloaded mp3s, and other good stuff?? Then takes it back if they find any of those things wrond with it?? You probably wouldn't like it and you probably wouldn't like them also calling you every week or month to check up on your computer. I feel the same about cats or anythng else I buy. The cat will go in a nice loving caring home isn't that good enough?? Once I buy the cat it should be mine and if I choose to have one properaly planed litter for myself and and family and freinds what is wrong with that?? I can easily find homes for all of the cats. No backyard breeding here . Is It simplily just another business tactic to get people to buy cats from them?? I understand none of this. They claim to be in for love of cat breed and arn't making money yet they cat so business oriented and some chage over $2500 for show/ breed quality cats. No cat can cost that much in vet bills, food, overhead, and other stuff for three months. They have to making money. Is there any place where I just buy a cat like anthing else?? or is that impossible? Must I agree to there childish contracts that will never hold up in court of law?? Sorry if offended anyone who sells cats or disarees with my opions but this how I feel and we are all entitled to our opinion.

Thanks for all of your input and help.
manxmanmatty
post #14 of 23
Just a note a cat is not an MP3 player. And just to say if that is your opinion on pedigree cats and breeders you wont get any one to sell you one which by the sound of it is a good thing. Sorry to sound harsh. I refer you to this thread as the conversation explains well the reasons that what you are proposing is wrong(and saves me some typing) and that randomly breeding is wrong. I just hope you take notice of some of the comments as if i was a breeder i would definatly not let you have one of my kittens.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73557
post #15 of 23
I've never heard of wanting the name of the person you are letting watch your cat when on vacation! But the other things, for the most part, are signs of a responsible breeder.

In my contracts I wanted to know if they moved or if they couldn't keep the cat to let me know so I can find a new home. $150 is VERY reasonable for a pet quality manx kitten (the $300 for shipping is high - the last time I flew a cat one way was about $75; I can see it going to about $100 or slightly higher, but not $300).

You do realize that "pet" manx kittens will most likely have some of a tail - that is why they are pets. A tailless manx is the only showable manx and unless the kitten doesn't meet the written standard for showing in other areas, you probably will not get a complete tailless cat. Manx can be born tailless, with a partial tail and with a full tail. Because you cannot breed tailless to tailless some of those WITH tails will be kept.

Now you could look into adopting a retired show cat that has been neutered/spayed and is tailless if that is what you are looking for. Many times the breeders will have adults at a lower price.

If you don't want to pay a reasonable price, how are you gonna afford the rest of expenses (like spaying/neutering, shots, tests, etc.)? If you are only looking for a cat less then $100, then check out "manx cats" at Petfinder.com in your state. They have reasonable adoption fees of cats. While the ones listed may not have papers, they at least look like a manx cat that doesn't have a tail.
post #16 of 23
Your last post has many "red flags". After reading it I would not sell you one of my kittens. First of all, a cat is a living animal - not an object. Its very important to a breeder to have contact info (phone/address) of those he/she is selling to. While they don't intent to inspect every home, if there is a problem in the future or they need to get in touch with you, you HAVE to give them the info. Refusing to do so would tell me that you are not trustworthy and I'd be highly suspicious.

AND the fact that you are even considering to breed the cat is a red flag. Breeders don't sell pet kittens to be bred - you HAVE to have them neutered/spayed unless otherwise agreed upon. Responsible breeders care about EACH kitten they breed and don't want a person to just breed cause they have a "purebred" cat.

If you question my contract and "rules", then you don't get one of my cats. I've never had a person disagree with my contract and I've never had a problem getting proof the kittens had been spayed/neutered. Any pet kitten I sold was altered and most of the show cats were altered too. I sold 2 kittens with a breeders contract out of about 24 kittens (from several breedings in a 5 yr span).

Unless you find a backyard breeder, you won't find a respectable cattery give you a female pet quality manx kitten to be bred. And any you adopt from shelters/rescue groups will also be neutered/spayed. You don't have to breed a cat to get more kittens. Just adopt another if you like the first one.

Besides, if you think you will get tailless kittens from the female, you don't know genetics - you may only get one. And manx can have problems delivering. Its not a breed the is as easy to deal with medically. Some tailless manx have problems with eliminating because they have no tail and some of the muscles are not there. A friend of mine had a mixed breed longhair manx who had elimination problems her entire life. Once in a while she had to go to the vet for impacted bowel.

You'd better do some more research on the breed to find out if this really is the type of cat you want!
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxmanmatty
I'm sorry I guess $175 isn't to much to pay for a cat. I just never realized that pet quality cats could be worth so much. I guess I will have to pay at lest that then to get what I want.

One of my main complaints with these catterys is based on their contcats, if they ever saw the house where I live they would never sell me a cat. It's not bad but unfinished and kind of dirty. Also I am strongly against giving out my address to people I buy stuff from, ( unless I am renting or using credit cards in which case it benifical for both parties) let alone my unlisted phone number and new address in case mine ever changes. If they are going to be so over protective of the cat why even sell it in the first place . It makes me feel like they are going to come and visit me and my cat, which I would not like. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here who sells cats, but I don't want people who bought I stuff from coming to my house or calling to check up onthe product I bought. I mean, how would you like it after buying comupter from the geek at Best Buy He/She comes over to check up on your computer make sure it is good use, has anti-virus software, has been defragmented, not being illeagly used, not full of illegally downloaded mp3s, and other good stuff?? Then takes it back if they find any of those things wrond with it?? You probably wouldn't like it and you probably wouldn't like them also calling you every week or month to check up on your computer. I feel the same about cats or anythng else I buy. The cat will go in a nice loving caring home isn't that good enough?? Once I buy the cat it should be mine and if I choose to have one properaly planed litter for myself and and family and freinds what is wrong with that?? I can easily find homes for all of the cats. No backyard breeding here . Is It simplily just another business tactic to get people to buy cats from them?? I understand none of this. They claim to be in for love of cat breed and arn't making money yet they cat so business oriented and some chage over $2500 for show/ breed quality cats. No cat can cost that much in vet bills, food, overhead, and other stuff for three months. They have to making money. Is there any place where I just buy a cat like anthing else?? or is that impossible? Must I agree to there childish contracts that will never hold up in court of law?? Sorry if offended anyone who sells cats or disarees with my opions but this how I feel and we are all entitled to our opinion.

Thanks for all of your input and help.
manxmanmatty
Not to be rude here, because you are entitled to your opinion...But......
Based solely on your post which I've quoted, not only wouldn't I sell you a breed cat, I wouldn't sell you a moggie or even a hamster.

With ownership of any animal, comes responsibility and the context of your post points to irresponsibility. Your analogy comparing a cat to a computer is wrong on so many levels, it's not worth arguing about.

Some folks aren't meant to be pet owners. I hope that you're still young and will change your perspective.
post #18 of 23
I dont want to pick you apart by anymeans because i have been on here and i do understand why. so dont take this wrong!

1. A cat is a living being. not a computer. The breeder just wants to make sure you are caring for this animal properly.

2. If you signed the contract and are a legal adult then it WILL hold up in a court of law because YOU signed it and that means YOU read it and AGREED to the terms and conditions.

3. If you dont agree with the contract don't sign it and don't adopt a kitten from them

4. If you adopt a kitten from ANYWHERE(with the exception of the free column) then you will most likely have to sign a contract. I adopted from the HUmane Society and had to sign a contract that said that i coulnt get rid of my baby for a year, and she could only be returned if she had health problems, and she had to be spayed, anda few other things too.

You have to understand that these breeders LOVE their kittens like CHILDREN. And they are in the buisness to make money. that is why it is a BUISNESS.

Let me go on to compare a quality cat to a quality car. If you want a top quality car you have to pay more for it do you not? So what makes you think that you wouldnt have to pay more for a quality cat?
Best of luck to you in finding the kitten for you!!
post #19 of 23
Oh, please don't breed a manx! I disagree with any backyard breeding, and that is what you are doing if you breed unregistered cats, or even purebreds just for "fun". But Manx have many health problems when bred, from what I understand. They definitely cannot be bred casually.

And most likely, if you get one from someone without a contract, it will be poor quality, increasing the chances of health problems.

The animals that run into the thousands of dollars are usually on the show circuit, and are top of the line in their breed. They will not make you a better pet, but if someone craves perfection in their chosen breed, they will want a top quality show cat. Pet quality should be a perfectly fine cat, they just don't quite meet breed standards to compete against others at a show.

My house is kind of messy, too. I don't like the idea of "inspectors" coming to check it out. But when you adopt an animal, what a home inspection would check is for safety for the pet. They could care less about whether the home is spotless. But if you have 6 pitbulls, and overflowing litterboxes...no sale.

I do not breed animals. But it surprises me that buyers are so offended by the fact that the breeder has control of the sale. Going back to computers-sure you can buy from a store. But if you buy from an individual, they can refuse to sell to you for any reason. Same with cats. If you want a poor quality byb animal, go to a pet shop and support a puppy mill. If you want one that is much more likely to be healthy, and who has been socialized from a tiny age, check out the breeders. But until the sale is final, that kitten belongs to the breeder. If they decide to keep them all, or only sell them to people who drive green cars-that is their choice!

The only way the breeder can know the cat is going to a good, loving home, is to ask a lot of questions. And if you reply that you refuse a home inspection, won't give out your address or phone #, and you might let the kitty have a few litters...there won't be a sale!

Your questions do sound offensive, but if you are really here to learn, it is worth it all. But you are talking to some breeders, to whom each little kitten is a long anticipated culmination of years of research. They would prefer to keep each little precious one, but can't, so are selling some. But they must feel certain the new home is a good one...and they have the right to be very very picky.
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom
I dont want to pick you apart by anymeans because i have been on here and i do understand why. so dont take this wrong!

1. A cat is a living being. not a computer. The breeder just wants to make sure you are caring for this animal properly.

2. If you signed the contract and are a legal adult then it WILL hold up in a court of law because YOU signed it and that means YOU read it and AGREED to the terms and conditions.

3. If you dont agree with the contract don't sign it and don't adopt a kitten from them

4. If you adopt a kitten from ANYWHERE(with the exception of the free column) then you will most likely have to sign a contract. I adopted from the HUmane Society and had to sign a contract that said that i coulnt get rid of my baby for a year, and she could only be returned if she had health problems, and she had to be spayed, anda few other things too.

You have to understand that these breeders LOVE their kittens like CHILDREN. And they are in the buisness to make money. that is why it is a BUISNESS.

Let me go on to compare a quality cat to a quality car. If you want a top quality car you have to pay more for it do you not? So what makes you think that you wouldnt have to pay more for a quality cat?
Best of luck to you in finding the kitten for you!!

1. I understand that a cat is a living animal and is nothing like computer I was comparing the the business people not the objects themselves. I was comparing the fact of people you don't know or care to know calling you up asking about somthing you bought or coming to check up on it whether it be a cat, dog , car, computer, or other aminal is kind of annoying. I do not wish for any old cat lady to know where live and my phone number. I give that information out only to poeple I trust or who need to ship stuff to me.


2. Just because you sign a contract does not mean it will hold up a court of law. Many contracts can easily be broken beacuse they voided by local and state laws.

3. I wasn't going to that's why I asked people here if they knew of a diffrent place

4. Ok, ANYWHERE is VERY big place willing to make a wager on that?

5. They do not seem like they want to make money or they would be more than willing to peoples money and not make them jump through hoops.


6. You rant about me comparing a cat to a computer then you compare one to car how very hipocritical of you. "A cat is a living being. not a car."
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxmanmatty
1. I understand that a cat is a living animal and is nothing like computer I was comparing the the business people not the objects themselves. I was comparing the fact of people you don't know or care to know calling you up asking about somthing you bought or coming to check up on it whether it be a cat, dog , car, computer, or other aminal is kind of annoying. I do not wish for any old cat lady to know where live and my phone number. I give that information out only to poeple I trust or who need to ship stuff to me.




4. Ok, ANYWHERE is VERY big place willing to make a wager on that?


5. They do not seem like they want to make money or they would be more than willing to peoples money and not make them jump through hoops.


6. You rant about me comparing a cat to a computer then you compare one to car how very hipocritical of you. "A cat is a living being. not a car."
Yes i am willing to wager on most anywhere wanting to sign a contract. and i did not say everywhere would have you sign a contract because most pet stores dont.

Actually i was comparing having to pay for quality. and i wasnt ranting.

And i also said that i wasnt tearing you apart and not to take it wrong. So you dont have to be rude to everyone who is on the breeders side. Like everyone has said they are looking out for the best interest of the animal and the breed!
post #22 of 23
Actually I don't think the original poster really cares about what we say or think. All they are interested in is finding a cat they can let breed one, two, or whatever times. They don't care about the breed or healthy cats.

The person is STILL defending their actions without a 2nd thought to any of the posts. Maybe its time to lock this one too?
post #23 of 23
As with other threads of this type, I have decided to shut this one down. TCS is a site primarily concerned with the CARE and WELFARE of cats and we do not support nor do we encourage the reckless and careless breeding of animals, pedigreed or otherwise, by inexperienced or uninformed parties. Should anyone have questions about the decision to close this thread, please feel free to PM me personally.

For clarity, I have copied the pertinent sections of the TCS Forums Guidelines below:

TheCatSite.com Forums Rules & Guidelines

TheCatSite.com Forums is dedicated to cat care & welfare. ... We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below ...

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cat. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. By spaying and neutering you enhance your cat's quality of life and improve his or her health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation. Spay and Neuter: The Best Thing You Can Do For Cats! Please read this article and don't hesitate to ask for more information in the forums.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
This thread is locked