TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Mother Cat hates her kittens after they have had surgery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mother Cat hates her kittens after they have had surgery

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a year old former stray cat who has had a very sweet, friendly disposition up until a couple days ago. Back in August she had 2 kittens - both were just taken in on Tuesday to be neutered/declawed. Since they've been back she now hisses at them, tries to attack them and is very aggressive towards my husband and myself and our other 2 cats, where up until now she has gotten along with everyone really well, and was very attached to her kittens. Does anyone know any possible reason for this behavior change and have any suggestions on what we can do? It's been 2 days and it's not getting any better.

Thanks!
Megan
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by megant19
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a year old former stray cat who has had a very sweet, friendly disposition up until a couple days ago. Back in August she had 2 kittens - both were just taken in on Tuesday to be neutered/declawed. Since they've been back she now hisses at them, tries to attack them and is very aggressive towards my husband and myself and our other 2 cats, where up until now she has gotten along with everyone really well, and was very attached to her kittens. Does anyone know any possible reason for this behavior change and have any suggestions on what we can do? It's been 2 days and it's not getting any better.

Thanks!
Megan
Megan...was the mom fixed??

Katie
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
No shes not fixed
post #4 of 13
The fact that she is not fixed and they are is the problem here.....

I have seen this many times.......

Get her spayed ASAP
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by megant19
No shes not fixed
Megan...that is probably the reason she is reacting the way she is...I would schedule to have her spayed.

Katie
post #6 of 13
And when you do get her spayed, please do not declaw her. It is such an unnecessary painful surgery for cats.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
She's not getting declawed, she was too big already when we found her and brought her home - I am planning to get her fixed, I hope that helps as there is another fixed male cat in the house that she has been around for months and is fine with - I hope it changes how she is with the kittens now. Thanks again.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by megant19
She's not getting declawed, she was too big already when we found her and brought her home - I am planning to get her fixed, I hope that helps as there is another fixed male cat in the house that she has been around for months and is fine with - I hope it changes how she is with the kittens now. Thanks again.
Yes...getting her fixed will help. Also, you may want to rub the mom with a towel and then rub her kittens...she may be smelling the scents from the vet clinic and not recognizing her kittens. I know when I bring my cats back from the vet even for normal shots they spend a couple of days hissing and chasing and fighting each other because they don't recognize the scent of their sibling.

Katie
post #9 of 13
She is also hissing at the kittens because they smell funny- they smell like the vet, they smell of medicine, they smell like they are stressed, because declawing does cause pain.

You can neutralize the scent with pure vanilla extract. Put some on each cat, just a dab- under their chins, between their shoulders and the base of their tails. Do this several times a day as you are trying to neutralize some pretty strong scents.

Also it is normal for momcats to become hissy with their kittens after they are grown. They really zap her and after they are weaned, she will only approach them on her terms not theirs.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks again - she's going in this morning to be spayed. Does anyone know why this is that she is acting this way? Im just wondering for my own peace of mind. Happy holidays!

Thanks
Megan
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by megant19
Thanks again - she's going in this morning to be spayed. Does anyone know why this is that she is acting this way? Im just wondering for my own peace of mind. Happy holidays!

Thanks
Megan

I think it was the smell of the kittens when they came home that was the main culprit......

Ya gotta think that hundreds of animals go into any given clinic in a month...and though the vets and vet techs do all they can to clean the place...Cats and dogs have a much keener sence of smell then we do......

So all those smells just gathered on the sweet little kittens...and sent mama cat into overload........

At least that is my opinion.............

By the way I hope all went well w/ the spaying and that everything returns to harmony soon...Happy Holidays
post #12 of 13
This is a very normal reaction in animals, it is due to a change of smell. The kits do not smell the same, so they need to be reintroduced to the others. Some animals have an exceptional mothering behavior and no matter what they will take in unfamilliar young, but often enough, especially with first litters, it is the scent that keeps the bond between kits and mothers. Wild cats are very paticular with this, birds, cattle, horses often as well. Time and patience should do the trick! Goodluck!
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for all your help - she got spayed on Friday, and is MUCH better around me now, and the other cats - still hisses and growls at the kits but not as bad, and she seems to be allowing them to get closer to her now, hopefully with a little time it will be back to normal. Thanks again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Mother Cat hates her kittens after they have had surgery