TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › My cats are ALWAYS hungry!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My cats are ALWAYS hungry!!

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I have 2 cats, a male and a female. The female is just under 10 lbs but she's chunky. My male is about 10 lbs and he's slender. My problem is this: they act like they're STARVING!! I feed them twice a day, about 1/4 cup each feeding, each cat. (Meaning both cats get about 1/2 cup a day). I can't even walk in the general direction of their food or else they freak out, run under my legs and meow. Is this normal behavior or should I be feeding them more??
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi
I have 2 cats, a male and a female. The female is just under 10 lbs but she's chunky. My male is about 10 lbs and he's slender. My problem is this: they act like they're STARVING!! I feed them twice a day, about 1/4 cup each feeding, each cat. (Meaning both cats get about 1/2 cup a day). I can't even walk in the general direction of their food or else they freak out, run under my legs and meow. Is this normal behavior or should I be feeding them more??
What brand of food are you feeding them?

Katie
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
They eat Purina. My girl is a very picky eater, she won't eat anything else. She also hates canned food.
post #4 of 27
My cats act the same way. I feed them a little more than you do, but not much. Shenandoah likes Fancy Feast and won't eat much else. I have tried mixing it with other wet food, but he still gets to the FF and won't eat the other.

Humble eats dry Nutro Weight Management.

I want to see what other people say, too.
post #5 of 27
How old are they??
Unless you are on the natural Pro plan purina is not the best food it is kinda like us eating from the drive thru..
post #6 of 27
Yes, Purina isn't the best food. Most likely they are defecating out any vitamins they are taking in, and not benefiting from this food. I would switch them slowly to something of better quality. Also, go for one with a protein as the main ingredient. Corn is a filler and they tend to stay fuller longer with more protein.
post #7 of 27
Yes, my cats are always hungry too despite being nowhere near slim! They want food when I come home, no matter how long I've been out. They also want food eveytime I come from upstairs, even if I've only been 10 minutes. I put it down to them being 'greedy swines'
post #8 of 27
Purina One and Pro Plan, are the only two kibble foods produced by Purina, that are of any quality. These 2 are actually pretty good, considering the rest of the Purina line-up.
I think cats tend to over eat when they are offered nothing but kibble. I've seen a lot of fat cats scarfing down the dry food.

I think you should start offering them some premium canned food and cutting down the dry to less than 50% of their daily intake. If your girl doesn't like canned food, you'll have to experiment with different flavors.
Do this gradually though, as you already have a "chunky" cat, and it's not good for them to lose weight fast.
post #9 of 27
How long do you think it ought to take for them to lose 1 pound?

Is Nutro dry food any good?
I am feeding my cat Humble that.

Shenandoah will NOT eat Nutro wet.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals
Purina One and Pro Plan, are the only two kibble foods produced by Purina, that are of any quality. These 2 are actually pretty good, considering the rest of the Purina line-up.
I think cats tend to over eat when they are offered nothing but kibble. I've seen a lot of fat cats scarfing down the dry food.

I think you should start offering them some premium canned food and cutting down the dry to less than 50% of their daily intake. If your girl doesn't like canned food, you'll have to experiment with different flavors.
Do this gradually though, as you already have a "chunky" cat, and it's not good for them to lose weight fast.
post #10 of 27
CHECK PM's! I have the same problem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckie
Yes, my cats are always hungry too despite being nowhere near slim! They want food when I come home, no matter how long I've been out. They also want food eveytime I come from upstairs, even if I've only been 10 minutes. I put it down to them being 'greedy swines'
post #11 of 27
I didn't know Purina wasn't good! What brands are healthy for my kittens?!
post #12 of 27
If you asked my cats if they are hungry they would nod their heads and say "yes" feed me turkey, chicken etc, let us gourge ourselves!.... The truth of the matter is they are pigs!!!!! That is their favorite time is eating and sleeping!!! The only one that needs to eat more is my CRF baby and in her time she was not a skinny cat...
post #13 of 27
I was told that NUTRO is the best. Humble likes the dry food, but Shenandoah, the wet food kitty, will no touch it. They are both 5 years old.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali
I didn't know Purina wasn't good! What brands are healthy for my kittens?!
post #14 of 27
There are a lot of good quality foods out there. I recently changed our cats from an all-dry food diet to mostly wet food with about 1/2 cup dry per day for 2 cats.

I just bought a couple of every brand in our local pet store that did not have by-products and meat was the main ingredient. I tried all of them and the cats ended up preferring Merricks and would eat Natural Balance but weren't blown away by it. So now they get Merricks twice a day and seem to be very happy with it.

The key is to look at the list of ingredients and stay away from foods that have by-products and corn/wheat/grains listed.
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?
post #16 of 27
Thank you! You are always so kind and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
There are a lot of good quality foods out there. I recently changed our cats from an all-dry food diet to mostly wet food with about 1/2 cup dry per day for 2 cats.

I just bought a couple of every brand in our local pet store that did not have by-products and meat was the main ingredient. I tried all of them and the cats ended up preferring Merricks and would eat Natural Balance but weren't blown away by it. So now they get Merricks twice a day and seem to be very happy with it.

The key is to look at the list of ingredients and stay away from foods that have by-products and corn/wheat/grains listed.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?

Tlak to your vet... about intake leval

I cant talk for Kai but in general the better quality the more digestable the less you feed..

I dont like by products , corn , soy , chemical presrvatives in my cats dry... wheat , barley are ??able

When I read for my Zoey I try to find one that is a one meat to one grain..

chn meal and rice and herring and veg fiber is her currentone...

I dont like to see chn by product rice corn meat by product barley sorguhm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl2good
Thank you! You are always so kind and helpful.
ditto Yosemite

before the transition to raw Kandie had a mini pet store with all the brands she had( she is a heavy rotator )
post #19 of 27
I've heard that a lot of cats who won't eat canned food, will when it's Fancy Feast. LOL

My girls get 2/3 can of wet food per day plus 1/4 cup premium kibble. They don't always finish it all, but it's there for them.
post #20 of 27
What size are your cats?
The can of Fancy Feast I use is 3 oz.
1 1/2 cans does not sound like a lot when that is ALL Shenandoah gets!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
I've heard that a lot of cats who won't eat canned food, will when it's Fancy Feast. LOL

My girls get 2/3 can of wet food per day plus 1/4 cup premium kibble. They don't always finish it all, but it's there for them.
post #21 of 27
Last time we were at the vet, Thisbe weighed 12 pounds, Cushie weighed 11 pounds, and Marnie weighed about 8 pounds, but she had been recently rescued then, and that's been a couple of months ago. She's probably around 9 or 10 pounds now.

If you leave a measured amount of kibble in the bowl for them, they will be okay. Just feed them the wet food on a schedule (I do morning and evening with mine).

I don't feed Fancy Feast -- I use the regular tuna-size cans of food -- but I suppose one can of Fancy Feast equals one serving.
post #22 of 27
I compromised with my cats... they get fed a little bit less at each meal but they get fed three times a day. Ultimately, they eat a bit more but it's not all at once. Kanoe also won't eat wet food but I've found that because the other two do she's showing more interest and will at least sniff it! I feed about a quarter of a regular tuna sized can of food to each cat per serving... a heaping regular table spoon.

I feed my kids Nutro complete care because Kanoe has a skin allergy and Captain had crystals at one point. They all love it (even Toulouse who is still on kitten food) and I haven't had any problems. However, my mom's cats all had the poops when she switched them over, so if you go to this food go slowly. Good luck!
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?

Yes, as long as you're making up the difference with wet food. IMO, wet food is much better for a cats over-all health than dry. Provided you're feeding a high quality wet food. Dry food's redeeming quality is you can leave it out in "feed at will" situations.
post #24 of 27
I have that problem with Duke, he is almost 3 years old and 25lbs he is constantly hungry, expecially when it comes to his 1 tbsp of wet food a day he also gets 1/2 cup dry food. He has gotten better lately since I changes his dry food to "Nutriance Diet" it seems to fill him up a bit more and he seems to actually be loosing weight. He still gets his 1 tbsp of wet but he dosn't eat it as quickly he seems to be paceing himself.
post #25 of 27
I am getting confused.... I have always fed my cats wet and dry food. I feed them science diet wet and dry...... I got a lecture from my vet because of problem teeth in a few of my cats.......... He told me to get them away from the wet food.... I know Frankie my little abby loves the dry food and he isn't getting the notorious abyssinian bad gums. He is getting FAT!!!!

Unfortunatly I don't live close to a petsmart or petco, and the best food I can get within my range is science diet. I used to feed my cats Iams until purina bought them out...... Gosh just when I thought I had this figured out... I still buy the wet food but I have been giving it to them sparingly... The only one who is getting special treatment is my CRF girl.... She loves wet food only... She has a hard time with dry food because she is 17 and has 1 tooth in her mouth!!! Bless her heart...
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats
I am getting confused.... I have always fed my cats wet and dry food. I feed them science diet wet and dry...... I got a lecture from my vet because of problem teeth in a few of my cats.......... He told me to get them away from the wet food.... I know Frankie my little abby loves the dry food and he isn't getting the notorious abyssinian bad gums. He is getting FAT!!!!

Unfortunatly I don't live close to a petsmart or petco, and the best food I can get within my range is science diet. I used to feed my cats Iams until purina bought them out...... Gosh just when I thought I had this figured out... I still buy the wet food but I have been giving it to them sparingly... The only one who is getting special treatment is my CRF girl.... She loves wet food only... She has a hard time with dry food because she is 17 and has 1 tooth in her mouth!!! Bless her heart...
I can see why your confused-your vet is giving you the wrong infomation! Dry food not clean teeth, as a matter of fact dry food is responsible for tooth decay! Dry food is made up of mostly grain. Grain is a carbohydrate and turns to sugar. Imagine you eating candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Not only that, when a cat bites a piece of dry food the kibble shatters at the tooth tip and does not provide any benefits. If you switch to compelety a wet cat food diet (preferably one with no grains in the mix) your cats teeth will become more healthy in the long run. If you switch them to an all meat, raw diet you will not have any problems with their teeth (except age related problmes which none of us can do anything about).
BTW-he's getting fat because of all the carbs in dry foods.
If you would like info on this, PM me and I'll locate some links for you.
post #27 of 27
Abbycats-
Purina did not buy Iams. Iams also produces Eukanuba. I'm not sure who told you that Purina owns it, but if that is the reason for stressing out your cats and yourself, for gosh sakes feed them their old food again. I am from Dayton Oh where their headquarters is and one of my good friends dad works there. I'm not trying to push it or anything-- but you seem at your wits end and it seems this misinformation is the cause of it. Go to their website and check.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › My cats are ALWAYS hungry!!