or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Is white vinigar harmul to cats?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is white vinigar harmul to cats?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
My dh's coworker suggested that if we spray the cats to keep them away from the Christmas tree, to mix white vinigar in the water. He said that the cats will learn quickly with this. Is it harmul to do? I know that water in the ears can cause problems, but is vinigar in itself harmful to cats?
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyViking
My dh's coworker suggested that if we spray the cats to keep them away from the Christmas tree, to mix white vinigar in the water. He said that the cats will learn quickly with this. Is it harmul to do? I know that water in the ears can cause problems, but is vinigar in itself harmful to cats?
Firstly I disagree with spraying any cat with water - as for the vinegar I imagine if it gets in the cat's eyes it would sting like the dickens and possibly cause damage.

Perhaps your dh's co-worker would like to test the vinegar mix on him/herself first to see if it stings!

Our cats love our tree - they don't climb it they just love laying under it and they love to try to pull the bead strands. I also don't have any ornaments on our tree that could break if knocked off.

We like our tree - we LOVE our cats - no contest.
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
I just tested the vinigar in my own eye... Half vinigar half water. It did sting right as it hit my eye, but only for a split second.

The tree is not more important than my cats, however; I was the one who wanted the cats, not my dh, although he's OK with them (and they love him more than me...) And he wants them off the tree because of how badly they are messing it up. My cats are not happy laying under the tree. They crazily climb all the way to the tippy top, out the branches, knock down all the ornaments and light strings and are now breaking the whole tree, bending all the branches etc. It's an artificial tree that we have sprayed thorougly with two different kinds of cat spray to keep them off, and although they don't like the smell, they will not stay away. I suggesed that maybe we don't have to have a tree this year since the kittens (6 mo. old) are at the peak of energy and playfullness right now. But they are desperate to keep the tree up. That's why I've been looking into what we can possibly do to keep us all happy. Although I would have loved for my cats to be able to be completely free and have all the fun they want, I do feel I need to consider the feelings of my family as well. The cats are important to me, but my kids and dh much more so. The Christmas tree is on the bottom of the list for me, but it still is pretty high for my kids.

If the vinigar is a bad idea, then I understand. I'm just trying to find a way that works for all of us. Please don't be mad, I just thought I should ask.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Firstly I disagree with spraying any cat with water - as for the vinegar I imagine if it gets in the cat's eyes it would sting like the dickens and possibly cause damage.

Perhaps your dh's co-worker would like to test the vinegar mix on him/herself first to see if it stings!

Our cats love our tree - they don't climb it they just love laying under it and they love to try to pull the bead strands. I also don't have any ornaments on our tree that could break if knocked off.

We like our tree - we LOVE our cats - no contest.

post #5 of 10
I don't agree with spraying cats with anything personally, but Vinigar is not deadly to them or anything. The smell is quite accrid to a cat as their sence of smell is way more sensitive than ours.
I personally suggest spraying the tree with the mixture not the cat, there is also somthing called "Bitter apple" you can spray the tree with so the cats are detered from climbing it. I also put bells around the bottom of the tree so I can hear if the cats are trying to climb the tree and can take appropriate action.
post #6 of 10
That's a tough situation! I don't know what you can do, but I understand wanting to keep the tree up for your children and not wanting to keep it up for your fur-children.

I hope someone can help you.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
I can't get a hold of bitter apple or citrus sprays here... The two sprays I did try had no effect on them.
How about if I get a hold of peppermint oil and apply it to the tree in a spray bottle? Would that be OK?
post #8 of 10
not sure about the tree but most cats dont like citrus so what about spraying the tree with a weak lemon juice a h2o solution..
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyViking
I just tested the vinigar in my own eye... Half vinigar half water. It did sting right as it hit my eye, but only for a split second.

The tree is not more important than my cats, however; I was the one who wanted the cats, not my dh, although he's OK with them (and they love him more than me...) And he wants them off the tree because of how badly they are messing it up. My cats are not happy laying under the tree. They crazily climb all the way to the tippy top, out the branches, knock down all the ornaments and light strings and are now breaking the whole tree, bending all the branches etc. It's an artificial tree that we have sprayed thorougly with two different kinds of cat spray to keep them off, and although they don't like the smell, they will not stay away. I suggesed that maybe we don't have to have a tree this year since the kittens (6 mo. old) are at the peak of energy and playfullness right now. But they are desperate to keep the tree up. That's why I've been looking into what we can possibly do to keep us all happy. Although I would have loved for my cats to be able to be completely free and have all the fun they want, I do feel I need to consider the feelings of my family as well. The cats are important to me, but my kids and dh much more so. The Christmas tree is on the bottom of the list for me, but it still is pretty high for my kids.

If the vinigar is a bad idea, then I understand. I'm just trying to find a way that works for all of us. Please don't be mad, I just thought I should ask.
I'm not mad - sorry if I made you feel that way. As others have posted, there are things you can spray on the tree and I'm sorry you haven't had any success so far. And most certainly you would want a tree for your children and dh.

The kitties are young though and hopefully by next year they won't be so interested in the tree.

I'd try the bitter apple and even perhaps the lemon juice idea and if they don't work, I guess the only recourse is to keep the kitties in another part of the house and away from the tree or just keep removing them from the tree and saying NO loudly - sort of like disciplining children.

I wish you luck with one of the spray suggestions.
post #10 of 10
Lemon fresh pledge or orange glow (on the tree, not hte cats), and/or hide the citrus car fresheners in the tree branches
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Is white vinigar harmul to cats?