TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › SEASON'S GREETINGS ... FER Heaven's Sake. lmao
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SEASON'S GREETINGS ... FER Heaven's Sake. lmao

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
What is up with all the fighting and screaming over "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," and other nonspecific expressions of goodwill?

Good Lord, people. We're talking about holidays here -- times when we should spread HAPPINESS, not start fights.

As a Christian, it is up to ME to "keep the Christ in Christmas." Not Walmart or City Hall or whoever else is trying to be inclusive by using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I keep seeing threads about this particular issue in all of the online communities I belong to, so yup, here's another one. LMAO I just had to say my piece.

And to wind it up ... Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Blessed Kwanzaa, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays ... or, if you prefer, Bah Humbug. LOL
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
As a Christian, it is up to ME to "keep the Christ in Christmas." Not Walmart or City Hall or whoever else is trying to be inclusive by using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
Verly well-said, especially this part. I have no problem with organizations being all-inclusive as opposed to only saying "Merry Christmas"; it's the considerate thing to do IMO. As long as I personally celebrate the season in accordance with my religious beliefs, that's all that matters to me .
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
What is up with all the fighting and screaming over "Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," and other nonspecific expressions of goodwill?

Good Lord, people. We're talking about holidays here -- times when we should spread HAPPINESS, not start fights.

As a Christian, it is up to ME to "keep the Christ in Christmas." Not Walmart or City Hall or whoever else is trying to be inclusive by using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I keep seeing threads about this particular issue in all of the online communities I belong to, so yup, here's another one. LMAO I just had to say my piece.

And to wind it up ... Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Blessed Kwanzaa, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays ... or, if you prefer, Bah Humbug. LOL
I think you've missed the point. Nobody has a problem spreading happiness during this time nor do they want to start fights. The WHOLE point of this issue is that some of us feel December 25th is CHRISTMAS, March 17th is ST. PATRICK'S, etc., etc. It is important to us that Christmas be called Christmas just as it is important to Jewish people that Chanukah be called Chanukan and not just "Jewish Holiday", etc., etc.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I think you've missed the point. Nobody has a problem spreading happiness during this time nor do they want to start fights. The WHOLE point of this issue is that some of us feel December 25th is CHRISTMAS, March 17th is ST. PATRICK'S, etc., etc. It is important to us that Christmas be called Christmas just as it is important to Jewish people that Chanukah be called Chanukan and not just "Jewish Holiday", etc., etc.
Okay. So if December 25 is Christmas -- why complain about not being wished "Merry Christmas," except on December 25?

I just don't understand the point of getting upset over a gesture of goodwill. By saying Happy Holidays, nobody is saying "Jesus is a lie" or "Your religion sucks" or anything like that. It's about as meaningful as saying "Good afternoon" or "have a nice day" in the broad scheme of things.

Conversely, by wishing someone a Merry Christmas who isn't a Christian and/or doesn't celebrate Christmas, the message is one of goodwill, not "accept Christ or burn."
post #5 of 27
I say Happy Holidays unless I know what they celebrate. If they celebrate Christmas, I say Merry Christmas, even though I do not. My cards say Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings or something else that's secular. I wouldn't be offended (or probably even notice) if a card I got said Merry Christmas, or Happy Hanukkah, but I would feel happy that they chose to include me in their season's greetings.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
Okay. So if December 25 is Christmas -- why complain about not being wished "Merry Christmas," except on December 25?

I dont recall "complaining".

I just don't understand the point of getting upset over a gesture of goodwill. By saying Happy Holidays, nobody is saying "Jesus is a lie" or "Your religion sucks" or anything like that. It's about as meaningful as saying "Good afternoon" or "have a nice day" in the broad scheme of things.

So wishing someone a "Happy Jewish Holiday" instead of "Happy Chanukah" is best in your opinion.

Conversely, by wishing someone a Merry Christmas who isn't a Christian and/or doesn't celebrate Christmas, the message is one of goodwill, not "accept Christ or burn."
At Christmastime I say Merry Christmas, at Easter I say Happy Easter, etc., etc. I don't just say "Happy Holiday" for everything.
post #7 of 27
Thread Starter 
Yosemite: Apologies for saying you were complaining. However, you do admit this is an issue with you.

"Happy Jewish Holiday" would indeed be silly IF you knew the person was Jewish. However, even if you DO know he's Jewish, how do you know he wants to be wished a happy Chanukah? There are Jews who are offended by the elevation of Chanukah to the same status as Christmas, since Chanukah is a fairly minor holiday on the Jewish calendar. There are also Jews who aren't particularly observant, and don't feel the need to be wished Happy Chanukah.

See where I'm going with this? How do you know, when you're addressing a store clerk or a customer, what their religious beliefs are? In that case, is "Happy Holidays" so bad?
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana
Yosemite: Apologies for saying you were complaining. However, you do admit this is an issue with you.

"Happy Jewish Holiday" would indeed be silly IF you knew the person was Jewish. However, even if you DO know he's Jewish, how do you know he wants to be wished a happy Chanukah? There are Jews who are offended by the elevation of Chanukah to the same status as Christmas, since Chanukah is a fairly minor holiday on the Jewish calendar. There are also Jews who aren't particularly observant, and don't feel the need to be wished Happy Chanukah.

See where I'm going with this? How do you know, when you're addressing a store clerk or a customer, what their religious beliefs are? In that case, is "Happy Holidays" so bad?
This could go round and round in circles all for the sake of argument. I respect the other religions to celebrate their holidays and call them by their given name and just ask that others respect my holiday and call it by the name I know it as and grew up with as did my ancestors.

If the person I say Merry Christmas to doesn't celebrate Christmas I would hope that he/she appreciates that I'm wishing them nice things from my perspective and not take offense just as I wouldn't take offense if someone wished me a Happy Chanukah.
post #9 of 27
Why don't we just say what we WANT to say. I'm Jewish, I celebrate Chrismukkah. See, I celebrate both. I wouldn't be offended if someone said Merry Christmas, I wouldn't be offended if someone said Happy Hanukkah, and I wouldn't be offended if someone said, Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings.

It's not like it's something NEW to say Happy Holidays, nor is it new to say Season's Greetings. Christmas Cards for years have been saying that. People for years have been saying that. When I was a child and lived at home with my parents, even though we were Jewish, no one in the family was offended by all of the Christmas Cards we recieved, some of them saying Merry Christmas, and some of them saying Happy Holidays, and a very few of them saying Happy Hanukkah.

Personally, I think what the big hub bub is all about is the fact that those people who ever they may be, have decided that it's Politically Incorrect to say the word Christmas. I can tell you, that most Jewish people aren't offended by being wished Merry Christmas. Maybe a few are, but none that I know of. In fact I LOVE Christmas. We celebrated both Christmas and Hanukkah in our house. This year the first day of Hanukkah falls on Christmas Eve. Now that's a night a real good fun, if you ask me.

Now from this Jewish girl, I want to wish everyone, A Very Merry Christmas.
post #10 of 27
Isn't the point of Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays, not so much to be inclusive, but because it's simpler then asking, "So, what religion are you and what holiday do you celebrate? Kwanzaa? Terrific, Happy Kwanzaa." Or what-have-you. It's not like I wear a sign that says to one and all, Hello: Christmas celebrating Christian here.

Of course, That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker
Why don't we just say what we WANT to say. I'm Jewish, I celebrate Chrismukkah. See, I celebrate both. I wouldn't be offended if someone said Merry Christmas, I wouldn't be offended if someone said Happy Hanukkah, and I wouldn't be offended if someone said, Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings.

It's not like it's something NEW to say Happy Holidays, nor is it new to say Season's Greetings. Christmas Cards for years have been saying that. People for years have been saying that. When I was a child and lived at home with my parents, even though we were Jewish, no one in the family was offended by all of the Christmas Cards we recieved, some of them saying Merry Christmas, and some of them saying Happy Holidays, and a very few of them saying Happy Hanukkah.

Personally, I think what the big hub bub is all about is the fact that those people who ever they may be, have decided that it's Politically Incorrect to say the word Christmas. I can tell you, that most Jewish people aren't offended by being wished Merry Christmas. Maybe a few are, but none that I know of. In fact I LOVE Christmas. We celebrated both Christmas and Hanukkah in our house. This year the first day of Hanukkah falls on Christmas Eve. Now that's a night a real good fun, if you ask me.

Now from this Jewish girl, I want to wish everyone, A Very Merry Christmas.

I soooooo agree!!! I think we should just greet people in the way we would normally greet them. Too much trouble to try and guess what to say to who.
I just say Merry CHRISTmas to everyone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!
post #12 of 27
IMO, the title of this thread is taking the Lords name in vain and is highly offensive.
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv
IMO, the title of this thread is taking the Lords name in vain and is highly offensive.
I beg your pardon and have changed it. However, this illustrates my point exactly, and the title was MEANT to be funny.
post #14 of 27
Thank you much.
post #15 of 27
I personally prefer Happy Holidays to Merry Christmas, though I don't think I'd be angry with Merry Christmas. I don't celebrate Christmas in any way that would be relfective of Christianity, I don't go to church, I don't have a nativity scene, I REALLY don't want to see any religious symbols in the public square and I also celebrate Hannukah and, of course, New Year's. Which would constitute more than one holiday. Thus, 'Happy Holidays'. Simple, kind, inclusive...just about covers it all.
post #16 of 27
Oh, and I'd also like to direct everyone to this column that I posted in a similar thread earlier. Read it and tell me how you feel. I think it is very well-written and right on the money:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=48
post #17 of 27
when it comes down to it, Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus, it's not to give presents, to get drunk, to get off work or for anything else, so to take Christ's name from Christmas is very disrespectful in my eye's, Christmas is to celebrate Jesus's birth, if you don't believe in Him why celebrate it at all?

it just seems strange to me, that's like me celebrating Ta Chiu when i don't believe in demi gods or ghosts that can renew my life.

i think it's a good thing that everyone both Christians and non-Christians celebrate Christmas but lets not forget why we celebrate it in the first place, it is Jesus's birthday and i won't stop saying Merry Christmas for anyone....that might be offensive but so is ignoring the true meaning of Christmas just so we don't 'upset' a few people, if you don't like it....don't celebrate it
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandybear
when it comes down to it, Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus, it's not to give presents, to get drunk, to get off work or for anything else, so to take Christ's name from Christmas is very disrespectful in my eye's, Christmas is to celebrate Jesus's birth, if you don't believe in Him why celebrate it at all?

it just seems strange to me, that's like me celebrating Ta Chiu when i don't believe in demi gods or ghosts that can renew my life.

i think it's a good thing that everyone both Christians and non-Christians celebrate Christmas but lets not forget why we celebrate it in the first place, it is Jesus's birthday and i won't stop saying Merry Christmas for anyone....that might be offensive but so is ignoring the true meaning of Christmas just so we don't 'upset' a few people, if you don't like it....don't celebrate it
I don't know. christmas is a huge family tradition in my family. We come from many faiths and backgrounds, but we still observe the same traditions we were brought up following. While not all of us follow the Bible, we all get together to demonstrate our love for one another and give thanks for each other and for everything we've all been blessed with in life. We also adopt a family every Christmas and I find this to be my busiest volunteer season. I don't believe in Jesus as being any more than an incredible Spiritual teacher, but man, if my holiday traditions don't embody the meaning of Christmas, then I don't know what does.

Also, do a Google search on Yule and Yule Traditions. It reads nearly EXACTLY like Christmas does (the old calendar had the solstice falling on the 25th)...including the birth of one of their male dieties to a female diety. They have the evergreen, the holly, the ivy, the yule log, of course, the lights, the joy, the praise...I don't know, but I think that the Christians kind of "borrowed" this, which would mean that the meaning of Christmas is much more deep and rich than simply the birth of Christ. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not downplaying its significance as a Christian holiday, but I just don't think that's what it is exclusively. I think it's a lot more open than most people realize. And any holiday that can get people to act jolly and love their neighbors...is open to anyone as far as I am concerned!
post #19 of 27
Quote:
I think it's a lot more open than most people realize. And any holiday that can get people to act jolly and love their neighbors

well that part is true either way, it is supposed to be a happy time so i don't see the point of arguing over who says what
post #20 of 27
I think the whole argument about people saying Happy Holidays or Season's greetings is rather lame. It is not as though they are new phrases, people have been saying them for years. A great deal of the time I don't think a lot of people even think much about it when they say it or write it, since it is something they say to acknowledge this time of year.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbook
I think the whole argument about people saying Happy Holidays or Season's greetings is rather lame. It is not as though they are new phrases, people have been saying them for years. A great deal of the time I don't think a lot of people even think much about it when they say it or write it, since it is something they say to acknowledge this time of year.
I don't think the issue is with people voluntarily using Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Personally, I've made a conscious choice in my cards for many years to do so, because I sent them to people of many different beliefs. The issue is that all of a sudden it has become *forbidden* to say Merry Christmas in all but closed company.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan
I soooooo agree!!! I think we should just greet people in the way we would normally greet them. Too much trouble to try and guess what to say to who.
I just say Merry CHRISTmas to everyone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

I just wanted to add to my earlier post that if/ when someone says something other than Merry Christmas to me... I'll just smile and take it. It doesnt upset me to get any of these sayings. I respect others peoples beliefs and welcome them with full
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandybear
when it comes down to it, Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus, it's not to give presents, to get drunk, to get off work or for anything else, so to take Christ's name from Christmas is very disrespectful in my eye's, Christmas is to celebrate Jesus's birth, if you don't believe in Him why celebrate it at all?
Actually, its not.
Originally, "Xmas" was called Saturnalia and it was celebrated by eating much, drinking much and revelling with family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

In the above link, it tells you how Christians "took over" the holiday for themselves...Christ wasn't even born in December.

Just another perspective on this well used holiday
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb
I don't think the issue is with people voluntarily using Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Personally, I've made a conscious choice in my cards for many years to do so, because I sent them to people of many different beliefs. The issue is that all of a sudden it has become *forbidden* to say Merry Christmas in all but closed company.
Most of the news reports I have seen on the issue have been about the voluntary usage though. And all of the sudden people are taking it personally. I think companies etc are more aware now that not everyone celebrates Christmas so they want to be more inclusive. I don't think it is about anything more than marketing and money for those companies. Also in the litigious nature of society everyone is terrified of discrimination lawsuits, that they go over board, because of money.
post #25 of 27
It used to be politically incorrect to say Merry Christmas, and now it is becoming politically incorrect to say Happy Holidays. So, what in the world are we supposed to say? I say Happy Holidays not only because Christmas isn't the only religious holiday this time of year, but also because of New Year's day.
post #26 of 27
well the way I've always seen it you celebrate your religious day(s) ie Christmas, Hanukkah, AND you celebrate New Year.... that 2 holidays at least some people celebrate all three...so Therefore I say "Happy Holidays" It just makes sence to me at least
post #27 of 27
I understand businesses using the phrase Happy Holidays in order to include everyone. As far as individuals, this is a free country and we can say whatever we want. I prefer Merry Christmas. I will not be ofended if someone wishes me Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza.
My Christmas cards say Happy Holidays. Why? So I can write in Merry Christmas and not be redundant.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › SEASON'S GREETINGS ... FER Heaven's Sake. lmao